It is with great sadness that we write this review. The setting is absolutely beautiful but the state of disrepair is beyond imagination. Upon our arrival we could smell alcohol on the owners breath and he appeared to be off balance ... we figured ... oh well anyone can have a drink during the day and ignored the warning signs. Our cabin was filthy and being in the jungle there were bugs but this was unbeleivable. The fan kept the air circulating but the place always smelt very bad ... the matress was rotting and smelled terribly of all the sweaty bodies before us. Our cabin was to come with breakfast and daily our tray was delivered with rotten fruit as our host swaggered through the trails slopping our coffee on the floor never to wipe anything up. We could hear the breaking dishes daily as he staggered about the place ... We tried to make the best of a bad situation and cleaned the place as best we could ... the final straw was the cock roach that woke my husband from his sleep that was five inches long and two inches wide. Upon looking for said roach we noticed more and more of the roaches crawling out of things to the count of twenty ... we packed up our things and slept the night in our car. The beaches are terrific in the area Punta Uva being our favorite. The place has been on the zero maintenance plan now for several years and things are literally falling down. We were led to beleive it was a family run operation and his family has left some time ago. Paying up front is not recommended as it enables the owner to buy more alcohol which is the downfall of the place. Short of some rehabilitation for the owner there is seriously no hope here. It is sad to see what could potentially be a wonderful paradise go to wrack and ruin. I can not in all honesty recommend that anyone book even one night in this dump.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- South of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, 8 kilometers from Puerto Viejo, within the “Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge”, Estelle and Florian welcome you, 200 meters from the wonderful Punta Uva beach, in their lush tropical garden at the edge of a river.Punta Uva beaches, ideal for swimming and all very beautiful are located 200 meters from Pachamama, at the mouth of Rio Ernesto, our jungle river. Enjoy the beauty and tranquility of tropical nature, while still being steps or paddles from the beach and close to local restaurants and activities. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Pachamama House & Bungalows Hotel Manzanillo
- Pachamama House And Bungalows
- Pachamama Jungle River Lodge Costa Rica/Punta Uva