“Just what we needed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Toucan Stay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Uva
The Toucan Stay Inn
You added The Toucan Stay Inn to your Saves list
in front of the Punta Uva pulperia, Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 70304, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Punta Uva B&B and Inns
Bellingham
“Just what we needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here soooo much. Mike was such an excellent host, he made us feel like we were staying with a friend. We felt so at home. Our room had the most comfortable bed I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping on while traveling in Central America, which was such a nice surprise. A comfortable bed, coffee maker, refrigerator, and air conditioning. Everything I needed, but not terribly easy to find in this area. Punta Uva beach is one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to, super soft sand, no rocks, and a guy who sells coconuts. And it's just a short walk from the Inn. The grounds were beautiful and there were monkeys almost every morning in the trees just down the road. We got in a habit of pouring a cup of coffee and walking down to watch them in the morning. We loved it here and did not want to leave. We will be back for sure. Thank you so much Mike for your hospitality! Until next time....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had the pleasure of ending my 4 month journey in Central America in lovely Playa Punta Uva at the Toucan Stay Inn. I enjoyed my time in the owners quarters of the Tucan Stay Inn for the last week in February 2014, a great private studio apartment with screened in porch and super comfy king size bed. The unit had a fully stocked kitchen for cooking and I was able to buy a huge water bottle refill just across the street at the local pulparia. A hot water shower in the cute bathroom was a treat after being so many places on my journey with only cold water. I enjoyed quiet hours napping in the hammock on the porch. I rented a bike for $5 a day at the grocery story 2 km up the road and rode all up and down the coast from Playa Manzanilo to Puerto Viejo. I saw monkeys, sloths, hummingbirds, snakes and iquana in the gardens/beaches. I spent a whole day horseback riding on the beach and in the jungle with a local friend. The Toucan Stay Inn was a great way to relax before my return home to long work days. The bus goes right by the inn every couple of hours and a taxi is about a $8-$10 ride to Puerto Viejo where you can always find a good party or some salsa dancing. Mike met me upon arrival showed me around and checked on me several times during my stay. All the people are laid back and friendly. I even lucked out and caught a ride all the way to San Jose with another couple who was staying at the Toucan Stay Inn that happened to be heading to the airport the same day as me. If you want a place close enough to enjoy the party town of Puerto Viejo but far enough away to enjoy the quiet and more private beaches then you will love Punta Uva and the Tucan Stay Inn. I absolutely loved it and would visit again. Thank you Jon and Mabel for allowing me to hibernate in your beautiful place. Its perfect for solo travelers, couples and friends. I appreciate you and hope you will stay in touch.

Room Tip: I only saw the owners quarters which I stayed in but the 2 other guests I met seemed very happy with...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Bob and I stayed at the Toucan Stay Inn in February, 2014 for 7 days! We found it very relaxing and quiet and the tropical plants surrounding the place very exotic! We had everything we needed to do some of our own cooking and coffee each morning. The accommodations provided exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed taking a chair and a boogie board to the beach each day which was just a short walk away. It was the most beautiful beach I have seen in Costa Rica! Mike, the manager was extremely helpful and always available to answer any questions we might have. We would definitely stay there again; we were in the Owners Cabin.

Bob and Mary Lou - Minnesota

Room Tip: The Owners Cabin offered solitude and air conditioning!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the inn for 5 nights. Mike the manager was extremely friendly and helpful. The beaches are the most gorgeous I have ever seen. If you are looking for relaxation this is the place. If you are looking for adventure this is the place.

• Stayed November 2013
Tofield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 12 days, unfortunately Jon wasn't able to be there but Mike was. He made us feel like we were at home relaxing with a friend. The place was warm and inviting, with the beach located less than 5 minutes away.
Mike shared some of his experiences and knowledge of the area with us. This was extremely helpful and appreciated, couldn't ask for a better host or guide to the area.
I would gladly send any of my friends or family to the TSI (only the good ones that would be worthy) so they could get to experience the hospitality and grounds like we did.
We hope that the TSI is around for many more years and will definitely book our next stay there in the future!
This place was definitely Pura Vida

• Stayed December 2013
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the TSI for our honeymoon and we are absolutely thrilled with our choice. Jon (the owner) rented out his owner's cabin for us which was incredible clean, spacious, had a full kitchen, filtered water, bathtub, A/C (yes, you heard me...A/C), ceiling fans, a gigantic bed and a screened in porch complete with hammock. The grounds are amazing. You're literally in the middle of the jungle but Jon has created walking paths to explore the surroundings. We spent a good deal of time on the pavilion in the hammocks watching the vast wildlife.
Breakfast is included in the rate and it is nothing to sneeze at. Jon makes you a variety of different egg dishes, he serves fresh locally made bread (amazing) and always has a local fruit to serve as well. His breakfast kept us full WELL into the afternoon and we are very active people.
Jon listens to your interests and makes activity/sightseeing suggestions based on your genuine interests. Not only does he personalize his suggestions to each guest, but he gives you precise directions on how to get everywhere he suggests which is incredibly helpful.
We cannot wait to return to the TSI. It truly was a dream honeymoon. See my pics of the property/beach to get the full effect!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed 8 days at TSI with owner Jon and Mike and loved it.

We were staying in Junior Suite Jose B (!) which included a full fridge, coffee maker and little dining table. The room came with a comfortable king size bed and everything was furnished with a tropical feel. The breakfast we purchased in the mornings was delicious!

Jon was a fantastic host. Loads of interesting stories about the town and his experience moving to Costa Rica. I loved hearing about it. But if you prefer to be on your own or don't feel like chatting, he understands and will be there if you need to ask anything. I loved his humour in naming the inn and the room names. He is very knowledgeable about restaurants and where to eat.

Mike was a fantastic help too. He has so much experience with arranging tours, organising where to go for dinner and drinks and even knows the BEST places to do night walks. His love of nature and the animals of the area was what we loved the most. I highly recommend going on a tour with Mike - you won't regret it!

My recommendations:
- buy the breakfast at least once or twice to taste the wonderful banana or mango pancakes. John also makes a tasty omelette too!
- Spend time talking with Mike about the animals of the region. He knows it all!
- TSI is not located within walking distance to downtown Puerto Viejo, so don't get confused. You can borrow a beach rider bike to ride up to town or catch a bus. Many tourists seem to hitch hike too. It is quite a walk to the downtown area... but I liked that about this B&B!
- Some other reviewers have had a problem with noise - but be aware. There is noise, this is a town with people who live there. If you are worried about the noise issue, bring ear plugs and you will be fine no matter where you stay in Costa Rica. We didn't have any problems.. howler monkeys do wake up early though!!!
- Make sure you find out where the local sloths are. Mike will tell you. They are so close and so cute! It is fantastic to see so many and for free!!
- grab a flashlight and some boots and do a night walk up some of the streets around TSI and you will see so many frogs! Ask Mike to come along for some extra guidance if needed.

Room Tip: Jose B was a great room if you don't require a kitchen. There is a local shop across the road wh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Toucan Stay Inn? Share your experiences!