“Our first negative review :(” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville

You added SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4305 Weaver Parkway, Warrenville, IL 60555   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Shop and Stay Package
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Warrenville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Our first negative review :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Unfortunately this is our first negative review placed on Trip Advisor, however had to do it with our bad experience. We had reservations for September 1 and September 2 for this hotel. My wife and I and three daughters were tourists in the "Windy City area" for Labor Day weekend. We knew on Saturday afternoon that we would arrive very late at the hotel as we were downtown shopping and were attending the "Blue Man Group" show at 10:00pm on Sat eve(which I will give a review of next, great show!), so we called the hotel to make sure everything was good and asked for extra towels, everything was assured to be ok for a 12:30am arrival for our two beds with the hide-a-bed sofa for the 5th person.

We arrived at about 12:30am and the nice young man at the front desk let us know that they had overbooked and all that was left was a room with one king bed and the hide-a-bed, and he had no record of the afternoon phone call. Obviously we were not happy campers, we were offered to go down the street to the Hampton Inn with two beds, still defeating the purpose of choosing the room with two beds and the hideabed, this obviously was not a viable option. The young man then offered to comp the room as it was their mistake, very nice gesture, we then asked for additional blankets and pillows to try to make the persons night on the floor a little better, he politely agreed and quickly brought them up to us.

I offered to be the one on the floor and it actually wasn't that bad if you are ok sleeping on the floor. I had a feeling the breakfast would be crowded since they were overbooked and boy was I right. At 8:30am the breakfast area was very chaotic! Wouldn't you assume that if you had a FULL hotel the night before, at a hotel where the breakfast was included, that you would bring in extra help and provide ample seating?? There was a meeting room open for additional seating, however it only had very limited chairs, when we asked if some additional chairs could be brought out the reply was "Oh, we can not take meeting chairs into the breakfast area". We debated and finally a "few" additonal chairs were brought out. The food was not kept quickly refreshed so with the very large crowd anything that was put out was quickly gone and there was a wait for even bagels or fruit??

I applaud the young man who checked us in, wish I could remember his name, who was told by us that it was not his fault but he got the worst of the complaint. Did not want to take the time to talk to anyone else at the property and am very thankful for Trip Advisor to vent to fellow travellers!! We did not stay the second night and do not know what they would have offered to us, if anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SpringhillWRNVL_GM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Dan -

I am sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your review. I am disheartened to hear you had such a negative experience during your stay. I do wish I was able to speak to you before you left so I could have resolved the issues you had.
To address your comments specifically: I have reviewed our communication procedures and habits with the staff to ensure that guest calls and requests are logged and tracked properly. I appreciate your patience with the front desk staff that delivered the bad news to you and have taken steps to ensure this does not happen in the future. I have also discussed staffing levels and breakfast overflow with the hotel team to ensure that adequate seating is available. I understand how frustrating an overcrowded breakfast area can be, and have made sure we have enough seating for everyone.
I would like to discuss any other issues you experienced at the hotel to make sure they are addressed and would also like to invite you back to stay with us again to see that these issues have been resolved. Please feel free to contact me directly at WRN@fhginc.com.

Jessica Revak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed one night (July 27, 2012). The staff at this hotel are very friendly. This was my first stay at a SpringHill Suites and I was not impressed. The room was a dissapointment as it was a suite and was super small. The bathroom sink is in front of the bed. The bathroom (toilet/tub) is tiny. The black coffee cup was dirty inside AND the sheets did not fit the bed as the corners kept coming up so your body (legs/feet & hands as my hands were underneath my pillow) was on the actual mattress pad. It was horrible fighting sheets all night long. Due to the uncleanliness and the sheets, I've rated a poor as this is not something you expect from the Marriott brand. I asked for a late checkout and did not use it; instead I left early.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I originally made a reservation to stay at this hotel for 8 nights. However, we were so disappointed with the room and had to move out earlier. The "suite" was very small. It was basically a regular Fairfield room with an extra sofabed and a sink. It was not a real suite because there was no door between the "bedroom" and the "living area". What made it worse was the bathroom sink was right in front of the beds, and if the parents go to bed late or get up early, they either have to turn on the light to wake up their kids, or they have to do it in the dark. On one of the days, the room service lady did not even make the bed. At first when my wife complained about the room, I was really reluctant to move because I did not want to cancel a booking I made and lose the money I already prepaid. But things eventually got so bad that we did not have any room to store our stuff and we had to move out earlier. This hotel ruined my trip entirely. I am a Marriott Reward silver member and I normally have a very good feeling about Marriott hotels. However this hotel really disappointed me. I would advise others to stay somewhere else when they visit Chicago and I personally will not stay at any other Spring Hill Suites again.

Carroll, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My daughters and I were traveling from Iowa to Chicago for a book signing. We thought it would be better to stay in a suburb of Chicago and save money. The check-in was very fast and the front desk clerk was very nice. We went up to our room where we were very disappointed! We had gotten a king suite so we had a king bed, hide-a-bed, small fridge, and microwave. There were even cupboards in case this was going to be a longer stay and we needed to store food. I walked into the bathroom and was shocked! It was smaller than mine at home, which is the size of a closet! I literally could barely turn around. It also seemed like the rest of the room had been remodeled and they ran out of money before reaching the bathroom. I was so hoping it would be a luxurious bathroom, considering the shape of mine at home. I definitely would never have paid $128 for one night (and that is with a discount) if I had seen the room beforehand. I also think if we ever travel to Chicago again, we will stay in the city as the tolls and gas for driving back and forth would have made it worthwhile to pay more.

Room Tip: Ask if the whole room has been updated!
Danville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm a Marriott rewards Platinum member so it pains me to do this.

I've stayed here a number of times since our daughter moved to the area. Some by myself and some with my wife and now with other family. Some visits have been fine and others not so much. This weekend did it for me.

When we checked in we noticed a musty smell and the air conditioner was on full blast. So we figured the carpets had been cleaned and were still a bit damp. More on that later. We had family coming in for a birthday and two other roooms at this hotel for our kids. We left for the evening and came back and still the musty smell. The air conditioner is next to the King bed and blows right on us, so we had to turn it off to keep from getting too cold while sleeping. We went to bed and woke more than once to find the sheets coming off and exposing the bare mattress. We turned the air back on and it seemed to be getting cool but slowly. I left the room to get ice and when I got back it smelled musty again. I guess we got used to it. Ick. And there was a smell of vinegar near the kitchenette. I called the front desk about the musty smell and they said maintenance could check it and maybe do something. I told them we would be leaving in a bit for the day and go ahead and do what they needed. When I got in the shower, I could tell that the carpets had not been cleaned. My feet were filthy from the carpet. Same with my wife. Ick.

We left for the day and I stopped at the front desk to let them know. I also shared with them that the sheets won't stay on the bed. She said she would make sure they got changed. That didn't help as it happened all night that night as well. In talking to our kids, our son told us their room was also musty. Our daughters room was not. When we returned, it smelled fresher like oranges almost. That lasted a while and went away with time. The next morning we were right back where we started. Same thing sleeping. By the way, the bed was not very comfortable.

The breakfast is usually a bright spot. For some reason this weekend the sausage had a funny taste. I have not noticed that before.

While the rooms are small, there was one visit where I got a slightly bigger room. I don't know why but it was just that time. I was alone and didn't need the extra space.

The last time we stayed here we were less than pleased and I shared my review online with Marriott when they asked. This time I decided to share it here as well. This hotel is average and in need of some updates. It's a great location and there are restaurants nearby. And, there are also other hotels nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SpringhillWRNVL_GM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest -

I am disheartened that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel after being such a loyal guest for so many years. I can understand that the musty smell in your room was undesirable to stay the least. While your concern certainly should have been addressed in a better manner, the units that we have can get overwhelmed in the extreme heat that we have been experiencing here and that can cause the unit to malfunction and produce an odor. I will certainly review this issue specifically with the team to ensure it does not provide additional discomfort to our guests.

I also would like to apologize for the issues you had with the carpet and sheets in your room. We do clean the guestroom carpets regularly, but it is clear from your comments here that your particular room requires some additional attention that I will be sure it recieves. We also have been experiencing issues with the sheets from our supplier. They are aware of the issue and are addressing it on their end, but I will also take the opportunity to re-address this with our housekeeping team to ensure that they are on the look out for defective sheets. This is a big frustration of mine when I travel also so I completely understand how this issue can be disruptive to your sleep.

Since you also mentioned the need for updates in the hotel - I am happy to let you in on a little secret. We are planning for a renovation of our lobby and public spaces to begin late summer/early fall. We will follow that with a complete renovation of our rooms in the late fall/winter. Please consider this my personal invitation to come back to try the new look of the Springhill out once everything is complete. Since you have stayed with us for so many years, I will be excited to hear what you think of the new design!

Ultimately my goal is to provide the best experience possible for our guests and ensure that our most loyal Marriott Rewards members (Platinum, such as your self) feel appreciated and taken care of. I would like to speak with you directly regarding your stay so I can get more details and suggestions for improvement from you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I can be reached via email at wrn@fhginc.com or via phone at 630-393-0400 x 156.

Jessica Revak
Fairview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here one night on our way to Nebraska from DC. Excellent hotel! It was clean and comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was great. More than expected. Would stay here again. The room was spacious and comfortable. Clean place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel! Our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure that our entire hotel is clean on a daily basis and our breakfast attendant does a superlative job to ensure the breakfast is well stocked and maintained. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff recognizing a job well done! We hope that you enjoyed your trip and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is the second year I stayed at this hotel with a group of us in town for a conference. Once again it was excellent and we enjoyed our visit. The desk staff is friendly, the rooms very clean and the breakfast is great. I would return here again if in the area.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville

Address: 4305 Weaver Parkway, Warrenville, IL 60555
Location: United States > Illinois > DuPage County > Warrenville
#2 Business Hotel in Warrenville
#3 Family Hotel in Warrenville
Hotel Class:3 star — SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Springhill Suites Chicago Naperville / Warrenville Hotel Warrenville
Springhill Suites Warrenville

If you own or manage SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Naperville / Warrenville, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.