“Great Italian Home Cooking” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 58 Restaurants in Villa Park
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Tampa, Florida
“Great Italian Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2005

I went looking for the old Giannotti Steakhouse in Oakbrook and found that it had changed owners and changed its name to "Vic's Classic Italian Steakhouse". I was ready to be disappointed that the old man was no longer around but found just the opposite. The food was awesome!

The new owners have added a few new steaks (melt in your mouth good) and have kept all of the traditional Italian stuff that they always did so well. The 8-finger cavatelli in special marinara is rich and out of this world; the veal was tender enough to cut with your fork and the Chicken Vesuvio was the best I'd ever had in Chicago. The portions are big enough to share, so come with an appetite or a bunch of friends.

I was there with 5 other guys and was very pleased with the service we got. The decor was elegant, but casual. (I loved to look at the old pictures of Vic Giannotti mugging with the Rat Pack and other stars.) We felt very comfortable and stayed quite late talking and joking around with one of the new owners (who we found out is a lawyer during the day.) We later went into the bar, listened to the band and had one last drink before heading back to our hotel.

This place is going to be a regular stop when I'm in town. Its a place you immediately feel welcome and its a great departure from the "big box" corporate restaurants in the area (Cheesecake Factory, Clubhouse, Maggianos, etc.) Its a little ways from the Oakbrook Mall, but well worth the extra trip.