“No Cinnamon Rolls: Sacrilege!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vernon Hills
South Dakota
“No Cinnamon Rolls: Sacrilege!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Let's start with the negative: The breakfast bar contained no cinnamon rolls both mornings of our stay. The warmer was cold and unlit. The attendant said they might have them the next week. What?! As one of the signatures of the HIX brand, not to have them available, and not to have a posted explanation, was just disappointing. Also, upon arrival, my spouse was not greeted by name or as a Priority Club member, and no instructions were given as to location of the elevator, breakfast time, etc.

The elevator was small and rather slow. A slight smell of smoke was noticeable in our hall and our (non-smoking) room. We mentioned it to the front desk and received "okay" in response. The room layout was awkward, with the sink area smack-inside the entrance door and the tv unviewable from the desk. The bathroom fan was atrociously loud. Towels were thin. Upgrades did not include some details such as (old gold) frames and door hardware. No sleep timer on the remote.

The positive: Even with a full house, the hotel was quiet. Newspaper was delivered to the door. Internet was fast. Flat-screen tv had an astounding number of channels. Bed was comfy. Room was spacious. Micro-fridge worked well (and contained a tiny freezer). The a/c unit featured a deflector, so the curtains didn't fly up when the unit was on. Shower boasted a rainshower head. We appreciated the in-room safe and 2 plugs at the desk light for charging. Small inside pool and small but reasonable fitness center looked nice. A shuttle was available (we did not utilize it). The breakfast area, though crowded, was kept very clean.

Location was good, in a business park, near the highway, a mall, and other stores; walking distance to a few shops including Target, plus Opa!, Wendy's, and Portillo's (which helped make up for the cinnamon rolls!). Across the road was a beautiful area with a walking path and fountain -- so you can walk off those rolls, whenever they're offered.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vernon Hills, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear goseedo,

Thank you for being one of our valuable Prioity Club members and for staying with us. It's nice to hear that you liked our convenient location with the free shuttle and found your room quiet. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Please accept my apologies that you were not fully satisfied with some aspects of our facilities, bathroom amenities breakfast options and hotel staff services received. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. Again, thank you for your review.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

For a variety of reasons, I felt like I was such a high maintenance customer. However, every time I interacted with the staff, they treated me with courtesy, respect, and care. I have never seen a staff bend over backwards to make my trip a success.

Hotel is in a good area in very close proximity to a shopping mall. All rooms feature a little living room located near the window.

Rooms were clean with the best Internet speed I have had all summer.

I loved it here and look forward to coming back in 2 weeks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I was visiting on business and needed help navigating my way through the town. The girl at the front desk, I believe her name was Danielle, was a life saver. She got me directions to all my appointments and led me to great local restraunts (not your usual boring chains). The rooms were very comfortable, but would have been better if my television had worked. And I can't forget the breakfast bar. For what it is, it was wonderful. As long as you don't go in expecting a panckake house I think you will be berry happy. Overall, very pleased.

• Stayed July 2012
West Dundee, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I conduct training programs several times a month. This hotel's staff's ability to adjust and perform was amazing. With the many things that can wrong doing seminars, this hotel gives safe haven and confidence that things will go right.

Due to an error on my part, my function had the wrong date in the hotel's calendar. When I arrived, Kalleena, at the front desk, never even acted like something was wrong. She just told me that the room would be ready in just a few minutes.

It was later that I learned that I had confirmed a date by e-mail different than the one I had originally discussed verbally. But I would never have known it by the way the staff promptly prepared the room.

I can't say enough about this hotel and its staff. They were GREAT!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel was fine. My husband and I were on business and it's a business oriented place to stay. But the staff was over the top. All the girls at the front desk were VERY accommodating. My husband asked if they sold gum and this one sweetheart offered him gum from her own purse!! We needed to cancel a night here and stay closer to the airport to leave on an early morning flight home and they found us another hotel closer to the airport and booked the room for us. Thank You girls, we really appreciated all your help.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This hotel was nice, and the rooms clean and comfy for the most part. The 3rd shift desk help was sleeping not long before I got there in the early morning hours late at night, as she had the lines still on her face. During the second night of my stay I asked for an ice bucket that was clean and extra towels and she had no idea where to find me new ones. She was very nice, with plenty of "Yes ma'ams" but she needs a little more training on professionalism. The breakfast was not stocked very well for the amount of guests partaking in breakfast. I was not too impressed, but at the same token, not too disappointed either. It was what I expected and I felt as I left that I did receive a good value.

Room Tip: Choose a room not near the pool and breakfast area for a quiet night sleep.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kristen K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vernon Hills, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Lukay,

I would like to thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express of Vernon Hills. Your comments are very important and help us to continue to improve. I appreciate your honesty about the experience you had with our Front Desk Associate working the third shift. I am so sorry that she didn't offer the outstanding service that you deserved. Also, thank you for mentioning the Breakfast Bar. Making certain that our breakfast food options are well stocked for our guests is a priority and I apologize for your experience with our breakfast during your stay with us. I will be conducting a team meeting and training refresher to be certain that all of our valued guests receive exceptional and timely service within all operational departments.

In the future, I hope that you would choose to stay with us again!

Warm regards,

Kristen Karl
Holiday Inn Express - Vernon Hills, IL.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We have stayed here several times while visiting our son. We have always been satisfied. The rooms are clean, nice and good-sized, the breakfast buffet is great, and the employees are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Hsvet,

Thank you for your great review! Come back and visit us soon!

Warm regards,

Kristen Karl
Holiday Inn Express - Vernon Hills, IL.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Vernon Hills? Share your experiences!