“Good location, strange hotel entrance” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest

You added Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   215 North Milwaukee Avenue, Vernon Hills, IL 60061   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Vernon Hills
Michigan
“Good location, strange hotel entrance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The first thing I noticed about this hotel when I arrived is that there is no typical entryway. I circled the whole building before I figured out where the main door was. There is no typical overhang to park under, just an entrance, and you have to find a parking spot somewhere in the parking lot just to check in. It can be a long walk with luggage.

Because I am female and was traveling alone for a business trip, I was a little creeped out by the fact that I saw lots of foreign men going in and out of the hotel when I checked in. The woman at the front desk said that many of them work for local companies and were in the U.S. for extended stays from other countries. That reassured me that it wasn't a flop house. I didn't have any issues with any of the extended residents--other than the fact that most of them won't open doors for you when they see you struggling with your luggage.

When I was there in August 2012, my room was nice enough. Not fancy, but not disgusting either. The hallway smelled strongly of curry. I have heard that they just finished remodeling at the beginning of 2013, so I'm hoping that included new carpet in the halls so that it doesn't smell like that any more. I had booked a room for two (for me and my daughter, who I was to pick up at the airport in a few days), but they would not give me a room with two beds. I had to pay extra for a rollaway unless we wanted to share the bed. Because I had gotten a good deal on the room to begin with, I didn't fight that too much. The day that I needed the rollaway, I asked before I left and reminded them during the evening, but I still had to go back down to request it again when I returned from the airport with my daughter at 11 p.m. that night. They brought it up promptly at that point, and my daughter did fine sleeping on it. She and I both were happy with the free wifi in our room and used it a lot.

I have a trip booked here again in March 2013 and am hoping that I have good things to say about the remodel. I have heard that they added a "grab and go" breakfast area. Not sure if I'll find much there that I can eat because I have to stay low-carb, but the free coffee will be nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments; however, we apologize for the issues you experienced. In response to your feedback, I am happy to report the rooms and hallways all do have new carpet. We have also replaced all the televisions with 32" flat screen lcd TV's.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at cvh@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you are a business traveler, stay away from this property. It is a transient hotel! I tried to stay here because of a bad storm, and despite negative reviews reluctantly booked a room. The staff was pleasant, but I requested a high floor away from the elevator. I recieved a room on the second floor, which upon entering at first seemed comfortable, until about after two minutes heard the loud stomping footsteps of the people above. Went down to the front desk and they switched my room to the 3rd floor, the one I origianlly wanted, across from the idiots that were stomping on the floor when I was on the second floor. They were having a party, and kept going in and out of the room, letting the door slam on the security latch. The room I was given this time was very cold. The heater was not working properly, was told by the front desk that it should work fine, reparimen had fixed the issue earlier. As I waited for heat, noted that you could see through this wall unit outside through a crack, no wonder so cold. So, went down for my THIRD room change, and upon downgrading believe it or not since my first two rooms were "King Suites" had to sign paperwork to get the credit card charges reduced. Also staff acknowleged that the room had problems with the heat, so they basically lied to me in the beginning. Got my new room, went up and tried to open the door but the person in there freaked out, as well as I, they gave me an occupied room this time. Went down, checked out and got my money back hopefully, then drove home In a snowstorm I was trying to avoid. I will never, never ever stay here again, or recomned it to anyone I like. Terrible. And I have pics I will post. Spend the extra money and stay at a well established property.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor, as if you stay on the first or second, you will hear loud footsteps from th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I was disheartened to read your comments about the noise and heater malfunction, which prompted you to eventually check-out of the hotel. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have worked with our maintenance staff to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at cvh@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Vernon Hills hotels

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest

Address: 215 North Milwaukee Avenue, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
Location: United States > Illinois > Lake County > Vernon Hills
Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Vernon Hills
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Extended Stay, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotels.com so you can book your Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay Vernon Hills
Vernon Hills Extended Stay

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Chicago - Vernon Hills - Lake Forest, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.