“Definitely will be back!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nirvana Wine & Grillerie is an original wine bar & restaurant that simply wants to share the best with people. We welcome friends into our lives through food & wine with the family owned wineries that we represent, small batch wines, and food that is as fresh and natural as possible. Nirvana has a scratch kitchen that offers artisan hand crafted cheeses, farm-raised and hormone free chicken, wild-caught seafood, all natural hand-made flatbreads, and fresh daily ingredients.
Libwrtyville IL
“Definitely will be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I went to Nirvana recently with some friends and had an excellent experience. The food was delicious, we all ordered different entrées and tried a little of everyone's and every bite was better than the next. As an avid wine (snob) drinker I was really surprised by the incredible selection of wines. It was honestly the best/most diverse wine list I've seen in the area.

The staff was courteous and very knowledgable. Our waiter gave us several recommendations, both food and wine, that were spot on.

We enjoyed ourselves and will most certainly be back soon!

Ryan M.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing Visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was not the first time I had a disappointing visit to Nirvana, but will be my last! We asked for a certain wine which we had had there before at half price. They were out of that particular wine so the waiter suggested another, neglecting to tell us that it was a "premium" brand and thus, not half priced. The bill was quite a surprise! Also, the waiter was quite annoying when he kept coming to our table and pouring wine from the bottle we were sharing into our already full glasses. I finally had to put my hand over my glass so he would stop! It was obvious he was trying to get us to buy more wine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Libertyville, Illinois
“Lousy food; pretentious service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

They have a reasonably-sized menu but I had trouble finding anything that sounded good. In fact, what I ended up ordering was dull and bland. And the service was annoying. He kept trying to become our best friend and suck up to us when we just wanted to be left alone. He needs to realize he's serving over-priced wine in a suburban strip mall parking lot not on the Rue de la Wherever.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware of Bait and Switch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My friends and I have visited Nirvana in the past and we have enjoyed the outside patio and the bottles of 1/2 price wine. However, our last visit was a quite different experience. Though the sign in the window speaks of 1/2 price wines, when we received our bill, the wines were full price. When we questioned our waiter, he reported that we were given special wines that were not included in the 1/2 price selection. We were not informed of this when we ordered the wine. One friend asked for a glass of red wine. The waiter questioned her about what kind of flavor she liked, etc with no mention of price. We found out that he had given her $18.50/glass wine. One person in our group ordered an appetizer and got food poisoning. Needless to say, will never return! Beware!

• Visited July 2014
Danny C, Owner at Nirvana Wine & Grillerie, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Wendy,

I sincerely apologize for your bad experience and have no problem making 100% sure that your next experience at Nirvana is not only a good one, but a perfect one. I distinctly remember your evening and issue as your friend stopped in to see me the following Monday or Tuesday. She did not mention the misunderstanding in price, but did bring the food poisoning to my attention. After investigating the matter I explained to her that bruschetta is not a high risk food, because it is uncooked and contains no meat. I also explained to her that all of our ingredients and recipes are fresh, made from scratch and made daily in a batch. The bruschetta is one of our most popular appetizers and we serve quite a bit every day and night. I assured her that I would monitor the situation and that if there were anymore alerts that I would make sure that I would do anything and everything in my power to right the situation. I also explained that all of our equipment (coolers for example) are in perfect working order and holding temperatures, and to add to that, that our entire management team has taken every class and certification on food service and safety. We take the health and safety of our clientele very seriously. Your friend was looking for me to comp a big portion of her bill and I simply explained that if any one of the things that I just explained to her were any different that there would be nothing that Nirvana Wine & Grillerie wouldn't do for her. I simply could not justify giving a discount when there seemed to be nothing pointing in the direction of your friend receiving food poising while dining with us, and the fact that we work so hard to make sure that every guest has an amazing experience here.

After looking into the food poisoning issue, and talking to your server at length about your visit, I then found out from the server that you and your friend were unhappy that the wine that you selected was not half price. At Nirvana there is always some portion of our wine list that is half price. We do our best to be very clear on which are half off, and nine times out of ten, explain the wine specials first when seating tables. My server explained to me (and he is one of our best) that he gave you ladies a lot of attention, did a wine tasting with you, and that you and a great experience all the way up until you reviewed the bill. If there was a miscommunication on our part, we sincerely apologize. The wine that you selected while doing a tasting with my server was not half priced. We don't go out of our way to discuss the price of our wine, as it could appear insulting to people, and I hope that is understandable to you. I highly suggest to all tables and guests that if they ever have or are starting to have a problem while visiting us to please ask to see a manager. We are very reasonable and care about everyone that walks into our restaurant. If you ask for a manager while beginning to have any type of issue, I assure you, that the issue will disappear.

Best regards,

Danny
Atlanta Area
“Another reviewer said "pretentious" and I have to agree”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

While we had an enjoyable visit and good food, it seems they try too hard to be an "in" or "cool" place. I didn't read the menu carefully enough and if you take a look, you can see why. I thought I was ordering 4 cheese soup, and ask for sausage to be added. Waiter came back saying they were out of sausage, so I thought mushrooms would be good in a cheese soup. When my order arrived, it appeared I received a mushroom/cheese pizza.... on further checking, it was 4-cheese on a large flat bread with mushrooms. Quite good actually, but not what I was expecting. My wife and her girlfriend had ordered a bottle of wine, and I had just a bit, it was good. They sealed it in plastic and allowed us to take the unfinished bottle with. I had seen the sign that Wednesday was half price on wine... My second surprise of the visit was when I received the tab and saw the women had ordered a $100 domestic bottle. Checking when I got home, it retails for about $35 so they still made a good profit with their $50 half price. Amazing markup though... Is a 200% markup normal?

• Visited June 2014