“Good food and service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Copper Penny Bar & Grille

The Copper Penny Bar & Grille
125 South 4th St, Vandalia, IL 62471 (Formerly Copper Penny)
+1 618-283-2200
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Vandalia
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Chicken Wings, Sandwiches
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: We specialize in taking ordinary bar food and adding a modern twist! We are known for making our own dressings and sides from scratch, cutting our own meat, & using local produce. We are also off a full bar & an array of craft draft beer selections and unique drink specialties. History Established in 2011. We opened January 2011 and are continuously growing, adding on, and striving to make your experience better with each visit! We are focused on providing a great, clean atmosphere for people to enjoy a causal dinner out or a few drinks with friends. We are located across the street from the Old State Capital of Illinois and have a beautiful view of it's grounds where Abraham Lincoln once worked. Our business is located on the grounds where the 2nd State Capital stood before it relocated across the street.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We love the pork carnita wrap and the thai wings. The sweet potato fries are great and desserts come drom a local baker. They are awesome, too. Don't let the fact rhat is is a bar keep you from some if the best food in town. It is a nice place wih an interesting and diverse menu.

Ramsey, IL
“Good food with staff who care.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My co-workers and I often go to the Copper Penny for a quick lunch. The burgers and pork carnita are awesome! At my last visit I ordered the walleye sandwich. When it came out I was surprised to see two tiny pieces of walleye with two huge slices of "texas toast" style bread. The owner noticed I had made a funny face and immediately came over and asked if everything was ok. I pointed out the small pieces of walleye and she quickly apologized and offered to have more walleye brought out. I have always been VERY impressed with the service.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ohio
“It's a bar with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

It's a Bar with good food. They were pretty busy when we got there. Just dont be in a hurry to get in and out here. It was wing night. The guy waiter was very nice. Took a bit longer to get the food. The wraps are good and so were the wings. There chips and salsa was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Place to go for the smallest BLT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I was visiting from washington state, my friends recomended the copper penny bar and grill. I had the BLT at the copper penny bar and grill. It was the smallest BLT i ever had...the bread was thicker than the lettuce, tomato and bacon combined. I have had peanut butter and jelly thicker than this BLT sandwich. Im use to a BLT that is so thick hard to take a bite of the sandwich.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
coppergirl84, Owner at The Copper Penny Bar & Grille, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
We apologize for any problems with the BLT/meal you ordered. However, we do not & have not carried a BLT on our menu, ever. We do always try to accommodate the customer, so I'm wondering if we made this by request. However, if it wasn't up to par, we should not have served it. Again, sorry for any problems that occurred & please next time bring it to our attention and we will take care of it asap. Have a good day!

On a side not, I see this is the only review you have posted since 2013....

Amy Gaffney
Central, Illinois, USA
“Great stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Enjoyed the view of the Old State Capital while sipping an ice cold beer and munching on some nacho chips. Looked over their menu and plan to go back with family and friends for dinner and drinks. Very clean along with good service.

• Visited January 2013