“OK for the $$” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utica
Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort
You added Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort to your Saves list
2643 IL 178, Utica, IL 61373   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Utica
“OK for the $$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went for an overnight and it was ok for that but couldn't stay for more than that. There's 2 water slides and 1 was broke. The one that was open was fun but you can only do that a few times before it gets boring. The towels in the water park are super tiny so bring your own beach towels. I was also displeased with the temperature of the water and of the general water park. My kids enjoyed their stay so we would go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Social Media Director at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hey there Jessica!
Thank you so much for staying here at our resort, We really appreciated having you and your family here! I am so very glad your children had fun during your stay. Thank you for bringing your concerns about our waterpark to our attention. I apologize for the water slide being broken and any inconvenience it caused you. We have sent your concerns about the towels and temperature of the water to management for review. Also, our slide is now fixed and we have sent ideas on how to improve the waterpark to management as well! Thanks again for bringing these things to our attention. If there are any concerns or questions going forward, feel free to contact me directly at socialmedia@grizzlyjacksresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Galena, IL.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This is an annual trip that I take with my daughters, son-in-laws and grandchildren. The Villas are complete with all the necessary amenities you could need. We make all of our meals and eat together as a family. The resort, waterpark and amusement park are clean and well maintained. The staff is professional, and provide excellent customer service. We look forward to our visit next year.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Manager at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hello Cloran,

Thank you for joining us and thank you for your feedback on your stay! We are excited to hear that you and your family had a wonderful weekend getaway.

We thank you and look forward to welcoming your family to stay with ours!

Have a grand day!
Lockport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our family of 7 stayed in a Vacation Villa for two nights. The villa was clean, spacious and felt like home. Some items to bring: can opener, sharp knife, whisk, large bowls, coffee filters, dish soap, paper towels, lawn chairs and a sponge. We ate all of our meals at the villa so we made good use of the cookware and dishes. It saved us a lot of money! We had some issues with light bulbs missing from lamps and the outside light working but nothing that would require a room change. Even the giant spider (it is Spring) wasn't too much of a bother.

The water park had some construction going on which I knew about before checking in. Even without one of the slides, we all had a great time. Be prepared for severe changes in temperature. The pool area was quite warm but the arcade next to it was freezing. The water temperature was okay.

The amusement park is where we had the most fun. The kids went on everything and it's all included except for the laser tag and games requiring tokens.

The miniature golf course needed some clean up and general repairs. We still played all 18 holes and went back for more. There was a small fee for mini golf.

The staff was very friendly and courteous. I didn't have any problems checking in or out. All in all, I'd come back again.

Room Tip: If you can, spend the extra money and get a villa. The savings on food for our family more than out...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Janice C,

Thank you for writing this Grand review of your stay at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort! Thank you for sharing what a blast your family had at the Enchanted Forest as well as fabulous tips for future guests. The Vacation Villas truly are a home away from home and provide ample space and accommodation for families to enjoy all year long.

I am so happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and courteous as we certainly strive to exceed all guest expectations.

Thank you for having your family stay with ours and we are absolutely happy for the opportunity to welcome you back for many future visits!
Normal, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Changed with absurd damages. Went as a group, many people were charged with $50 "damaged towel" fees. Claimed we had interior and exterior damages when there was none. When I called to defend myself, they could not prove they were actually damages. Total scumbags. Do not come here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Alex S,

While we certainly appreciate all guest feedback the resort does have damage policies in place for guest protection, as well as, the resorts. We certainly apologize that the unrecoverable towel fee charged to your group has had such a negative impact for you, but the policy must be enforced.

Thank you for your feedback and we certainly hope that you can come to understand the policies.
Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We really enjoy Grizzly Jack's. The decor is fun and the place is always clean and feels new. Whenever we go we use a deal they offer during the week. We have never gone on a weekend because the price is way too high. So, when we go it's never too crowded...everything is just right.

EXCEPT, this last visit the water was too cold!!! Yes, you get used to it and the kids don't mind, but I certainly do! Despite getting used to it, it was just cold and slightly unpleasant. And you have to go through that every time you reemerge, plus after a while you just shiver. My 4 year old has to have me with her so the second day she got jipped a little as I did not want to get completely submerged.

Breakfast was included, so it seems the management does take input into consideration as I see in past reviews that was suggested.

The homemade pizza at Jack's is really good...we had a good waitress who made advisement on some items that weren't as up on quality.

We will be back on deals again...hoping to make it sometime for longer and through a weekend if we can snag a deal!

Dear MichelleVel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review on Trip Advisor! I am so happy to hear that you enjoy the property time after time! I am also glad to hear that you loved the pizza at Jack's Place and I couldn't agree more, it truly is delicious. Please be assured that I have noted the water temperature and forwarded this information to management. I did take a trip down to Grand Bear Falls indoor waterpark this afternoon and it is very warm today. That in no way compensates for the cool water during your visit, but please be assured that the water should be a comfortable mid 80s at your next Grand adventure to the resort.

Thanks again and we look forward to your safe return!
Bolingbrook, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

First time we were here was in Oct 2014...loved it! Everything was in working order and pretty clean as far as I can remember. When I saw the Groupon for Grizzly's I took it. We looked forward to it from our last encounter, so needless to say, we were very disappointed in what we received. The enchanted castle had many rides and coin operated games that were broken. It looked a little seedy inside. One tube in waterpark couldn't be used because it was considered "dangerous", needing repair...it has been this way for a month.

Need to take care of cleanliness of waterpark, maintain and fix coin operated games and rides. It's a great place to visit with family and friends, so it's disheartening to see how it has slipped over the last couple years. Not keeping up with general maintenance is always the demise of a resort.

Hope things turn around. Not sure I'd go back until I can see things have improved.

Room Tip: We stayed in a villa. I'd always recommend going this route.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello Jeeta,

Thank you for your valuable feedback of your recent stay. I apologize for you disappointment, as we strive to exceed every guests expectations. I have passed your feedback on to our management team so that we can discuss these further and take action.

I you will reconsider joining us in the future. Please feel free to reach out to Kathy Krauss, Assistant Front Desk Manager at kkrauss@grizzlyjacksresort.com, so that we can address this with you personally.

Thank you for you time and have a grand day!
Melrose Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We bought this stay off of a living social deal, it was a fantastic deal and I would do it again anytime. The only problem that we had was on Saturday night they let my son do the activities like rock climbing and Sunday said he was too little because he was a tad bit off 40 lbs, like a .5 pound. The waterpark was fun, but a little smaller than I thought it was going to be. We went with my 6 year old son and he loved it there. We had 5 people in a room and it was comfortable spacing, just wish there were more seats the tables so that we could have played cards or something at night. The amusement park had a lot of things to do, but the carnival rides were down, not sure why, but maybe cause of short staff? Would have been nice to be able to enjoy those as well. I do like that most activities are included with the wristband, which makes it so that you can go over and over again, making it able to not have to leave the property at all if you don't want to. The Staff was very friendly and makes it a comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Grizzly_Jacks_Resort, Sales Coordinator at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Chrissy J,

Thank you for this fabulous review of your stay at Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort! We are thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy an awesome discount through Living Social and I agree that having the wristbands included in an overnight stay sets guests up for endless fun at the parks! I have certainly noted suggestions and will promptly forward them to management.

We are certainly delighted to hear that we may have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back for many future visits!

Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Been to Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort? Share your experiences!