“Average Expectations, Average Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign

You added Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Killarney St., Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801 (Formerly Urbana Plaza Hotel & Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Urbana
Peoria, Illinois
“Average Expectations, Average Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here this weekend as part of a college exploration trip. I bid for the room on priceline and got a room with two queen beds for $75 which was way cheaper than anything in town. The hotel is an older property with the old Holidome layout so it smelled like pool chemicals from the get go. There was only one person at the desk on a Sunday afternoon and she was on the phone so I waited for a bit. Check in went well although when she asked if I was a priority club member, I said yes; however, I did not know my number and she advised she would check for me later. Not sure if she ever did. Our room was on the first floor with a slideout to the holidome area. It was a small room, with a flat screen TV but barely enough room to sit on one of the chairs on the side of the bed and the desk just had a regular chair to sit at. Very narrow room. The bathroom was very big and was clean. The beds were very nice although the trend of the small pillows and the different choices is one I dislike. I would rather have bigger pillows and it seems many of the hotels in this class are moving towards the small pillows, I don't get it. Anyway, the hotel was quiet, overall clean and the staff we encountered were very friendly. There was not a comp breakfast which surprised me for a business class hotel. Not sure what the gig is on the restraurant. It looked open, but no one was around. Would I stay here again, maybe if I can't get a room at the Hampton Inn for a similar price. It was good for a one night stay where we spent little time at the hotel. The property was nice, the interior was clean and the room served it's purpose well for a one night quick visit to Champaign.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Catguy49,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your stay at our hotel. We are glad you were able to enjoy our close proximity to the University of Illinois and our clean and quiet room accommodations! I apologize that we did not follow up with you regarding your IHG Rewards Membership. I would be happy to look into that further for you if you could please contact me at the hotel. Also, I understand your feelings regarding the industry's trend in using smaller pillows but please know that Holiday Inns will be moving into larger pillows in the near future. Hopefully you will choose to visit our hotel again and see that change for yourself! Thank you again for your review and hope to see you soon!

Kala Cesar
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dover, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed there for the Illini Homecoming and got a clean comfortable and quiet room. Staff was courteous and friendly. Wife and daughter agreed that the beds were surprisingly comfortable for a hotel - we all got a good nights rest after a long day.

Room Tip: Staff suggested a particular area as a wedding reception was booked in the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear d a,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you were able to enjoy our clean and quiet accommodations especially after what I would assume was a busy but fun Illini Homecoming! Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Kala Cesar
Dansville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I asked for an early check in, and when i arrived, my room was not ready. So, i went to the store and such. Returned at 3:20... It was hot, i was tired from the long day of traveling. My room was still not ready. I waited and watched others check in....at 5:20 they finally got me a room. I asked why others got to check in and i had to wait. She said that because of my status (plaitnum) i was eligible for the executive floor and the rooms were not ready. Because of the wait, i got free breakfast and drinks each night.. The rooms are spacious, jacuzzi was very nice.I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear DonnaM692,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your last stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the delay in getting you checked in, especially after a long day of travelling. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you with an upgrade to our Executive floor and with additional coupons to use in our Bar & Restaurant. We want to also thank you for your loyalty to IHG properties and for being a Platinum IHG Rewards Member. We hope that when you travel back to the Illinois area, you choose to stay with us again!

Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a month on business trip ,the rooms are big ,very comfortable bad ,free wi-fi and lots of parking of curse...
complimentary coffee free in the morning in the lobby which was very nice and also coffee maker in the room was very usful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear BeAgoodPerson,

Thank you for writing a review about your trip to our hotel. We always enjoy hearing feedback from our guests and the opportunity to share it with future guests. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the large room and comfortable bed as we both know it helps in ensuring you get a peaceful night's rest! Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel for your extended business trip and we hope to accommodate you again in the near future!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Check-in at the hotel went smoothly and we were fortunate to get an exterior room (odds) vs. the evens that have windows overlooking the pool area. Apparently I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn in quite some time as I was extremely disappointed that there was not a free continental breakfast. Had I realized this at the time of booking, I would have selected a different hotel chain. I was not willing to pay $10.95 for what was a free breakfast elsewhere.

We stayed for four nights. Each day we would return back to the hotel after a long day out only to find that none of our room keys would work. Yes, for 4 nights, we had to go to the main desk and have them rekeyed. We did not keep them next to cell phones – one was kept in the car, one was in a purse, one in a front pocket and one in a back pocket and not in contact with cell phones if you are thinking we deactivated them somehow.

There was no mini fridge which meant we had to keep the ice bucket full for our daughter’s medication that was to be refrigerated. The bathroom light for the last two days of our stay wouldn’t turn on all the way and for the final morning, was completely dark. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and there was a cricket on the floor in the bathroom. When gathering dirty clothes to do laundry, there was another black water bug in the clothes.

The sheets were old, very thin and just felt dirty. Our family of five requested 2 extra towels the first night so we could each have a big towel for showering. We keep track and hang our towels in appropriate places so that we can reuse our towels. Housekeeping came in the morning and replenished our towels by taking all 5 and giving us 2. This happened each day. In addition, only on the third day were the beds made. Not a deal breaker, but since they didn’t do it on the previous days, why on the third day? We also had to request a pillowcase on the first night since one pillow did not have one. The pillows are smaller than standard size.

The vending/ice room was ridiculously hot. All throughout the hotel the humidity was high, even in our room with the AC on full blast. I’m thinking it has to do with the pool in the open area of the hotel, but that may also be me used to a drier climate.

We were unable to get one particular light in the room to work. There was also one outlet that did not work.

The only pro that I noticed during our stay was the couches and seating areas around the entrance. We didn’t use them but they did look nice.

Overall, I would not stay at this particular hotel again regardless of the room rate.

Room Tip: To minimize noise, get an odd numbered room which overlook the parking lot. Even rooms overlook the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Traveling_M0M_of_3,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Maryville, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for an illini game with some friends and family. The hotel was fine but it was really hot outside and it appears their A/C system must have been struggling. I first noticed it in the elevator. Extremely stuffy. The ice machine room was like a sauna. Our room went from ice cold to steamy hot off and on during the night. I woke up once sweating and the next freezing. My husband did the same thing. This happened several times during the night. So, inevidently, lack of rest was a real issue. I also wondered about the tiny pillows on the bed. What's up with that?? The lobby was nice and the pool was great but a bit small.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear decoolb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the air conditioning system of your room. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Highland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night while trying to help my son organize his apartment. It says something (not good) when I feel like, upon leaving the hotel, that I would have been better off sleeping on his couch!

First of all this is not the cheapest place to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area so I would have expected something at the very least decent. While the general appearance of the property and the rooms is acceptable that is where it ends.

While check in went fairly smoothly and the clerk friendly it did a bit of waiting before they got to me. Generally I wouldn't have even mentioned the wait but the rest of my experience was so bad that I figure I might as well throw all the punches.

There is a large interior lobby area with what I believe was an open restaurant, a fountain, maybe a bar and I don't know what all. But the point being was a large open space with people gathering. The rooms were either exterior (with windows facing the outside) or interior (with windows facing the lobby). I had the unfortunate luck of getting an interior room. While the lobby has a mostly glass ceiling and gets light from those, the interior rooms are also expected to get their light from the lobby skylights. I felt claustrophobic!

On top of the light situation there are so many reasons for people to be in this lobby that all you hear are people partying all night! When I mentioned the noise at check out in the morning they said "well we had a wedding". That's not my problem, I came for a decent night's sleep and didn't get one.

Final note on the rooms, the pillows were awful, just all bulgy and bumpy and plain uncomfortable.

At check out there was only one staff member at the desk and she was on the phone. I waited for at least ten minutes, during which time she didn't even glance up to indicate that she would be with me in moment.

I know that I will have occasion to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area again but would never ever stay here!

Room Tip: Make sure you have an exterior room! Interior rooms are super noisy and have no real daylight, it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Hpmicks,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please know that I have shared your concerns and they will be addressed within the appropriate departments. Though I understand your hesitancy, we hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to better accommodate you.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!