“No continental breakfast - consider that in your room rate.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign

You added Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Killarney St., Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801 (Formerly Urbana Plaza Hotel & Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Urbana
Dallas, Texas
“No continental breakfast - consider that in your room rate.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Check-in at the hotel went smoothly and we were fortunate to get an exterior room (odds) vs. the evens that have windows overlooking the pool area. Apparently I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn in quite some time as I was extremely disappointed that there was not a free continental breakfast. Had I realized this at the time of booking, I would have selected a different hotel chain. I was not willing to pay $10.95 for what was a free breakfast elsewhere.

We stayed for four nights. Each day we would return back to the hotel after a long day out only to find that none of our room keys would work. Yes, for 4 nights, we had to go to the main desk and have them rekeyed. We did not keep them next to cell phones – one was kept in the car, one was in a purse, one in a front pocket and one in a back pocket and not in contact with cell phones if you are thinking we deactivated them somehow.

There was no mini fridge which meant we had to keep the ice bucket full for our daughter’s medication that was to be refrigerated. The bathroom light for the last two days of our stay wouldn’t turn on all the way and for the final morning, was completely dark. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and there was a cricket on the floor in the bathroom. When gathering dirty clothes to do laundry, there was another black water bug in the clothes.

The sheets were old, very thin and just felt dirty. Our family of five requested 2 extra towels the first night so we could each have a big towel for showering. We keep track and hang our towels in appropriate places so that we can reuse our towels. Housekeeping came in the morning and replenished our towels by taking all 5 and giving us 2. This happened each day. In addition, only on the third day were the beds made. Not a deal breaker, but since they didn’t do it on the previous days, why on the third day? We also had to request a pillowcase on the first night since one pillow did not have one. The pillows are smaller than standard size.

The vending/ice room was ridiculously hot. All throughout the hotel the humidity was high, even in our room with the AC on full blast. I’m thinking it has to do with the pool in the open area of the hotel, but that may also be me used to a drier climate.

We were unable to get one particular light in the room to work. There was also one outlet that did not work.

The only pro that I noticed during our stay was the couches and seating areas around the entrance. We didn’t use them but they did look nice.

Overall, I would not stay at this particular hotel again regardless of the room rate.

Room Tip: To minimize noise, get an odd numbered room which overlook the parking lot. Even rooms overlook the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Traveling_M0M_of_3,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Maryville, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for an illini game with some friends and family. The hotel was fine but it was really hot outside and it appears their A/C system must have been struggling. I first noticed it in the elevator. Extremely stuffy. The ice machine room was like a sauna. Our room went from ice cold to steamy hot off and on during the night. I woke up once sweating and the next freezing. My husband did the same thing. This happened several times during the night. So, inevidently, lack of rest was a real issue. I also wondered about the tiny pillows on the bed. What's up with that?? The lobby was nice and the pool was great but a bit small.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear decoolb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the air conditioning system of your room. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Highland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night while trying to help my son organize his apartment. It says something (not good) when I feel like, upon leaving the hotel, that I would have been better off sleeping on his couch!

First of all this is not the cheapest place to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area so I would have expected something at the very least decent. While the general appearance of the property and the rooms is acceptable that is where it ends.

While check in went fairly smoothly and the clerk friendly it did a bit of waiting before they got to me. Generally I wouldn't have even mentioned the wait but the rest of my experience was so bad that I figure I might as well throw all the punches.

There is a large interior lobby area with what I believe was an open restaurant, a fountain, maybe a bar and I don't know what all. But the point being was a large open space with people gathering. The rooms were either exterior (with windows facing the outside) or interior (with windows facing the lobby). I had the unfortunate luck of getting an interior room. While the lobby has a mostly glass ceiling and gets light from those, the interior rooms are also expected to get their light from the lobby skylights. I felt claustrophobic!

On top of the light situation there are so many reasons for people to be in this lobby that all you hear are people partying all night! When I mentioned the noise at check out in the morning they said "well we had a wedding". That's not my problem, I came for a decent night's sleep and didn't get one.

Final note on the rooms, the pillows were awful, just all bulgy and bumpy and plain uncomfortable.

At check out there was only one staff member at the desk and she was on the phone. I waited for at least ten minutes, during which time she didn't even glance up to indicate that she would be with me in moment.

I know that I will have occasion to stay in the Champaign-Urbana area again but would never ever stay here!

Room Tip: Make sure you have an exterior room! Interior rooms are super noisy and have no real daylight, it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Hpmicks,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please know that I have shared your concerns and they will be addressed within the appropriate departments. Though I understand your hesitancy, we hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to better accommodate you.

Cedar Falls, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

As a Platinum member, I've stayed at HE and HE Express properties around the US and abroad, and this property is without a doubt below average in my opinion, and a disappointment to the chain. Dried mud on the room carpet, mold in the bathroom, a party someplace in the building that went on for hours, and a general drab appearance to the property overall. I always know a hotel like this is in trouble and have no intentions of improving when they do not send a survey after a visit. I get surveys after nearly every visit from hotels that have no need to improve, and hotels like this that are in trouble send no survey, which says to me they likely will not be around for much longer since they don't seem to care. I can't recommend this property to others, and I definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear CFMWvisitor,

I wanted to thank you for sharing the details of your stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. I understand that you travel often and we truly appreciate your loyalty to the IHG Rewards Club and for choosing to stay at IHG properties.

Please know that I have shared your comments with our management team in order to rectify some of the issues you brought to our attention. Though I understand your reluctance to stay with us again, we do hope you provide us with another opportunity to serve you. Again, thank you for your review and your loyalty to the IHG brand.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First, let me say that the positives at this property far outweigh anything that I could see as a negative. Although the Holiday Inn, Champaign/Urbana has some challenges, it is an especially good value stay when booked through Hotwire or one of the discount booking services. My rate was $60 per night for a king room with a sofa.

Pros: Overall, rooms were clean and for the most part, very comfortable. Front desk staff was welcoming and offered me a new room when I reported an unusual vibration noise in my first room. Room décor and functionality was up to date and satisfactory. Great value that more than offset the fact that there was not an inclusive breakfast bar. Convenient to highway and university. Gas station/convenience store next door. Wireless Internet signal was strong but sometimes seemed a bit slow.

Cons: Overwhelming smell of chorine when entering the hotel. The entire lobby smells of this from fountains and pools. As a result, restaurant and bar area are not conducive to hanging out. Coffee and tea service tables in elevator area have stained and dirty tablecloths. The full-length mirror in both rooms I stayed in was fixed to the wall such that one side was 1 inch lower than the opposite side. Looks tacky and unprofessional in an otherwise nice looking space. Room 507 has an annoying vibration noise from equipment on the roof. Room 539 was quiet but appeared a tad bit smaller in space. Common areas sometimes felt a bit dingy. I would have loved to have a fridge in the room but I made do with my ice chest. In both rooms, the work desk is positioned in such a way that you get blasted with cold air from the AC unit while sitting at the desk. I've noticed that most hotels have this issue so I would not consider it to be a problem exclusive to this property or chain.

Once again, pros outweigh cons. I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers face a five story atrium/lobby/pool. Rooms with odd numbers face the outside...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear SAMT2002,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your last stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate when our guests provide us with this feedback as it allows an opportunity for us to focus on specific areas of improvement. I am glad to hear that you felt the value of your stay was better than the price paid and we will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We hope to accommodate you in the future and you can see some of the changes we have made based on your feedback. Thank you again for writing a review and for your loyalty to our hotel.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

"stay impressed" is this hotels "motto", I guess they have no clue what "impressed" means.

NO refrigerators in rooms, small terrible coffee makers in room only.

and the internet is useless in my room, maybe to keep customers from doing bad reviews on the hotel!!!??? I think the internet problem has made me the most irritated. Trying to do work while staying here was terrible, a waste of time and money.

the only reason i ended up here was the scam perpetrated by price line. Why would this hotel show up in different star levels?

The "fitness center" is a joke, and probably has never been cleaned.

Price line is a joke for having this rated as a top hotel in Champaign, bidders beware. this hotel shows up in the 2 star rating also on priceline. Does not make sense pure rip off. I paid more and could of bid on a lesser star rating and got the same hotel cheaper!!!!

I am not happy at all with the no refrigerator or decent coffee maker, also the internet makes me upset. its 2013 can a hotel like this PLEASE have good to great wifi?

only good thing about this hotel is the beds....I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: none to choose from
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Foodwriter007,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay and I am extremely sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations on several aspects of your visit. Please know that I have shared your feedback with our management team and we have started efforts to address some of those issues including updating our internet.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you do change your decision in staying elsewhere on your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We rolled on around 2am. The clerk was nice enough. The place is in a decent location. We did not feel unsafe. The rooms were clean. It was affordable. But as an ihg member, I had expected more. Usually we are greeted with snacks and water when we check in. Not a big deal, but something we are used to from ihg properties. They had a breakfast cafe available to purchase from, but I really value a nice free breakfast, which most ihg properties have offered. Plus the pool is located next to their cafe, in the open air. The smell of chlorine was heavy when we checked in. I wouldn't want to eat in it. Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Kala J, Manager at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear ama97,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We do truly appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experience with other guests. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations of the IHG Rewards Club. I understand that as a member, you do travel often and the extra benefits of the loyalty program are important to you. Thank you for your loyalty to the IHG Rewards Club and I will be sure to share your sentiments to our upper management team.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!