“Decent night's stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Urbana
Delta Junction, Alaska
“Decent night's stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The best deal we could find on a busy weekend. The entry was dated and musty and we were a bit worried. However, our room was fine; clean and comfortable with no musty smell. The shower was a bit weak but it was fine too. Breakfast was well stocked though the selection was pretty basic. The manager/owner was kind and granted me two special requests with no fuss. If you are looking for a good deal, choose this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fribourg, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It was dirty, filthy, noisy, old.

And they charged us a 10 Dollar refund fee for the second night we cancelled saying its due to the credit card companies. Go figure.

Breakfast consisted of wrapped muffins and orange juice straight from the gallon packaging of Deans.

Room Tip: take a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Roscoe, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

For the price we paid and reading the reviews I expected a lot better. The room smelled, could not open the window and the air conditioner was not working properly. The beds where uncomfortable and the shower was freezing cold. Also the shower base was black that I had to put a towel down before I got in. Paid for 2 nights but only stayed one. My lost their gain I guess. If an unsatified customer is a gain for them as long as they made money. Staying at a way better newer hotel tonight and for $30 less. It's just like being at home and worth the extra money out of my pocket.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Unfortunate circumstances brought me to Carle Hospital in Urbana. This was the closest place to stay and they gave me a discount for my reason of visit being Carle. They place looked very clean and the service was very great. Upon entering the room I was happy to see a flat screen TV with HBO (helped me pass the time). I would definitely stay here again, it was a very quiet and peaceful stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
salt lake city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have stayed in numerous other motels in Champaign-Urbana over the last 10 years and must rank this one last. The biggest area of concern is the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke. This is definitely not a place you want to stay at if you are sensitive to smoke. There's really no non-smoking rooms if smoke permeates the entire interior. The only reason I didn't give this one star is because of the close location to campus and that the room was fairly clean. By fairly clean, I mean I used the extra folded blanket and used that as something to go between me and the bed for sleep. Someone noted there was no hot water. It took a several minutes of running the shower water before the water would get no hotter than lukewarm. The only reason I stayed here for only the 2nd time in almost 10 years is because everything else was booked or over $300/night. Next time I will find something else regardless even if that means staying in a tent in a park in Rantoul. Also consider the rate was just over $100/night because of the busy event weekend but if I was a smoker I would put the value of this place at a little more than $30/night. The motel staff were helpful and appear to go out of their way for guests but it would be more effective if they use that effort to put money into the place to clean it up and renovate a few things.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am a frequent traveler, being on the road for 2-3 months at a time. Different hotel on a weekly basis in different cities. Out of all the cities I've been to and hotels I've stayed at, this hotel will forever stick out in my mind in the best of ways. That being said, here we go...

The rate we were given for two weeks was EXCEPTIONALLY low and fair, especially given the fact we had both a microwave and refrigerator in our room. The room was immaculate, the beds were quite comfortable and the A/C blew clean, cold air. Why would I say clean? Because after each stay, the hotel takes out the entire unit and hoses down the filter. Can you think of one other hotel that would go to such extremes?! I can not, and have not in my four years of road travel.

The thing that really sticks out of my mind is the quality and friendliness of both the manager and his wife. Every day we were always greeted with a warm smile and a wave of a hand. Never overwhelming in any way, they were quite attentive in making sure our needs were met. That's not the kicker... we left an envelope with expense receipts including $300 dollars... CASH. We discovered this envelope was left behind as we arrived to our next destination... four hours away. We promptly called the hotel and they had our envelope. Whew. Hold on, it's about to get better.
We cringed at the thought of having to drive a total of eight hours just to retrieve this bag. So what does JR, the manager, do for us? He sends it certified mail over night. We asked him to take the money from the envelope, as he did... and not a penny more. LIFESAVER!!!

It's a very rare instance these days when someone has the integrity to do what's right and honorable. To take that extra step in going above and beyond to help a fellow human being. I owe a lot to JR for taking that extra step. Writing this review just doesn't do it enough justice.

Long review, too late, short... this hotel was extremely comfortable and affordable. I would recommend this place to my mother... and she is a very paranoid, hispanic woman. That's saying something.

Room Tip: 205 seems to be good luck! ;)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place, it was cheap, nothing happened to me or my belonging, it had internet....but it felt like a very sleazy shady place where you find mainly hookers and drugs. If the hotel wasn't so cheap it would be a horrid place, but I got what I paid for. I booked online directly with the hotel. Less then $60/night with taxes.

I stayed by myself. I booked this place since I would be visiting the campus for work - the two hotels I normally stay at were booked so I figured I should go cheap. I was thinking it would be like a Days Inn, it was no Days Inn.

I got a call around 10pm to see when I would be arriving, which was well into the wee hours of the morning - they said that was fine, but ring the bell untill someone answers. I arrived at 3:30, pulled up and started to regret my choice, even from the outside this place looks no good. Its small and old looking, the pool is filled with what might be a garden or might just be weeds. It is right next to traffic lights and power lines and there was a constant buzzing from the lines and beeping from the lights (I think to warn people not to walk). The door was locked to the lobby but I rang the bell and pretty quick a man let me in. He had been sleeping and was very drowsy, I am not sure if he didnt speak english well or was just to tired to do so. The lobby smelled very strongly of curry.

He checked me in mostly in silence. He did ask for an id and a credit card. He copied both which I dont really like, he also charged my stay at the time of check in. I thought I had pre-paid, but the confirmation I had didnt appear that way (after reading some of these reviews, I'll have to double check when I get home). There are odd signs all over like, "you will be charged for smashed windows, ripped carpets, holes in the walls. Repairs will come out of your pocket!". They are normal policies, but how they were written and displayed made me wonder who was staying here.

The hall smelled strongly and was unpleasant, I dont know what of though. The room didnt smell great, but wasn't something that made my nose crinkle. It was pretty nasty, everything was very old. There was a door to the neighbors room, with a table in front of it....I really hope it was a double door, but I never had the courage to check. The walls were dirty and cracked, the switch plates looked to have black mold on them, my socks stuck to the floor.

I was really tired when I got there, but here is what I did....I actually put my bag in the bathroom untill I could check for bed bugs, I read this was what you were supposed to do in all hotels, but i normally do not bother, this place looked like I needed to. I checked the beds and frames, no bed bugs. I checked if the sheets were clean, the ones I would use were, the bottom box frame cover had something that looked like tomato juice on it. I checked the windows to make sure they were locked....they were (some reviews said they didnt lock, but they did). I brought my bag out of the bathroom. I went online (free internet) to see if anyone had been killed there recently. i read one article that talked about the police coming to the hotel all the time - the managers response was the police had not come in two months....I got nervous. I went back out to my car, on the way out of the hotel I checked behind my shoulder and also tired to identify the odd smell. I searched my car very anxiously for my lost item, there was a man near the parking lot just hanging out at 3:30 am, but otherwise nobody was around. I locked the car, then checked twice it was locked. I went back to my room and used the flip lock. I texted my mom and husband that I was in a hell hole and if I died, this is where they would find me.

I left the hall light on just to be safe...and layed awake for half an hour listening to my neighbor either moan or snore, I never did figure it out. I was too afraid to tap on the wall or call the manager. It considered sleeping on the other end of the bed. I eventually fell asleep, I didnt get to sleep long, but I slept well. The bed was confortable enough.

I went to find breakfast one of the mornings. There was a toaster and toast with jelly, there was frosted flakes and total, there was packaged muffins. The jelly and milk was communal in the fridge in big containers. The fact we paid so little and they fed us at alll was good.

The first day I showered around 9:30 and it was fine. The next day i showered around 7:30 and had 3 minutes of kinda warm water.

I saw one other person at the hotel, he was a buisness man...I know there were other guests, I heard them but didnt see them.

Now that I have left it doesnt seem to bad for so cheap, although I did just arrive at a Days Inn (new state) and it feels like a Hilton compared to ABI&S. Maybe if my husband was with me I would have been fine, although everyone I have talk to said that is a really bad area to stay and I might have been lucky to have had the uneventfull experince that I had.

Room Tip: Dont get a room to close to the cross street, I bet you can here the lights binging from your room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to America's Best Inns & Suites? Share your experiences!