“Four Stars Based on Potential...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Lincoln Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Urbana
Historic Lincoln Hotel
You added Historic Lincoln Hotel to your Saves list
209 South Broadway, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801   |
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Urbana
Durham, North Carolina
“Four Stars Based on Potential...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Last stayed here late 1977, when it was Jumers and beautiful. Present owners are doing their best to restore it, and what is done looks great. Long way to go, however, but great for the urban explorer, as unfinished parts are easily accessed. A big drawback, however, is proximity to a bell tower that chimes 'round the clock, as well as downtown Urbana's emergency services, which dispatch fire, police, whatever-with-a-siren at all hours. If the bells don't wake you, the sirens will.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms opening to the north where all the noises come from!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a fluke. I expected a hole in the wall, WOW were we surprised! Clean, the decor was beautiful. Someone is putting a lot of time passion, and money into this outstanding land mark. I recommend experiencing this place before it gets to high end!

• Stayed August 2013
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

This hotel in absolutely gorgeous! Though it is a little rough around the edges, there is so much that makes up for it. I would not recommend it for people who like the ordinary, though. But if you like the unique and you appreciate antiquity and detail, then it is perfect. My family just happened to be staying there but I kept going over from my dorm just because I couldn't get enough! They have furniture from the early 1800's! I mean this place is rich with history and it is sad that it's being cut down just because is not your usual. It's definitely an experience and I think anyone should try it at least once. : )

• Liked — The beauty of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a wedding at the hotel. It seemed like it would be convenient. Upon entering our room we noticed that it was a bit on the dirty side. Some of the furniture was ripped and looked incredibly worn. I've stayed in worse hotels and felt that it was only one night so it couldn't be that bad. After returning from the wedding around 1am we pulled down the comforter and found that there were bugs in the bed. Not just one bug, but several bugs. Some of these bugs were still moving. In addition we also noticed that there were bugs in the tub. We also noticed that when we walked in the hallway it smelled like somebody had been smoking pot. We went down the front desk and demanded a refund. There was no way we were staying there so we packed up and left.

All in all the hotel would be a beautiful place if it underwent some serious renovations. Chunks of the ceiling were falling down. We even noticed one lighting fixture that appeared to be held together by super glue. In the area where we waited for the elevator there was an ash tray full of cigarette butts.

Stay away from this hotel if at all possible.

• Liked — Nothing at all
  • Disliked — The bugs in our bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

It is a sad state of affairs. What was once a lovely hotel is now faded, torn, tattered, and just plain old. The rooms still have old metal keys and the drapes/upholstery/bed spreads haven't been changed in 15 years (maybe more). The phone didn't work and the furniture is so battered, it's just sad. The pool is not functioning and none of the restaurants or bars are open. They are said to be "under renovation", but I don't see any work being done. Management should have at least disclosed that the pool and restaurants were unavailable. Try to tell a nine-year old in July that there is no pool!! I will say in their defense that it was clean and the beds were firm. I think at $85/night you can find something more up to date and just as comfortable elsewhere in town. There's nothing really nice about the place, except the memories of what it once was.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Dinginess
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bonn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

The Historic Lincoln was one of several hotels for a conference that I attended. I chose it because of the price and did not expect a luxury stay.
However, even with my low expectations, I was very disappointed for several reasons:
1) Initially, no one answered my reservation request. And that happened to other conference members, too.
2) I was told in advance that there were hairdryers in the rooms, which turned out to be false. You might be lucky and get one from the front desk, but they do not have enough if the hotel is full.
3) There was a problem with the electricity in the room, so that I was scared to use some of the plugs tofor charge my phone.
4) A major problem are the bath products: They were not new. In fact, I had mouth wash that had been used by someone before. The creams all had broken seals, too. And again, this happened to other conference members, too.
5) The advertised internet really only works in the lobby.
6) The staff is not very helpful and unfriendly (with a few exceptions).
7) The breakfast in the library is really not great.
8) The ice machines do not work.
9) The TV has only a very limited number of channels, and not all of them actually work.
10) Room keeping services are rather sloppy. For example, they forget to replace things.
11) The overall impression is rather unclean.
Notice that none of these complaints relate to the old-fashioned decor. Some people complained about that. I did not mind. But the other things I did mind. Even a hotel with a rather cheap price should provide a minimum of service.
I cannot really recommend it as a place to stay.

• Liked — Nothing particular.
  • Disliked — Really bad service.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brookfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

Yes, the Lincoln Hotel is a little long in the tooth, but how can you not love it?

It is like no other place on earth. Fabric covered walls and elevators (fabric covered everything) -- swanky canopied beds -- lots of carved wood and stained glass -- suits of armor -- and a back door that opens onto a shopping mall (!) make for a unique experience.

It stinks that the hotel isn't fully booked, but it was nice to have the full attention of the staff. Friendly and helpful, they all went out of their way to make my stay a pleasant one.

This is the only place to stay.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Historic Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!