“Neat local motel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Urbana
PA
“Neat local motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Really nice lounge, rustic style, older style rooms but very well maintained. I like non-chain, particularly if they are a little unusual, and this place fits the bill. I got in really late but there are a couple all night fast food across the street and a convenience store at the end of the block. Lots of character- reminiscent of some of the better rt 66 hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Friendly, super clean, comfy beds and bedding. What else do you need? The bathroom was spic and span. There was plenty of desk space for my laptop. The TV remote was a little sluggish. The staff was helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants, and we ate at a local BBQ place. I don't know how they would have handled complaints, because we didn't complain.

Room Tip: Non-smoking room on 2nd floor, but some smoke smell came through the ventilation system.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Urbana, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Lincoln Lodge could be an ok place to stay (and by ok I mean it is bare minimum adequate--there are beds and a bathroom, nothing fancy but they function). However, should you have something go wrong, it becomes an absolutely terrible place to stay due to the poor level of customer service provided.

My experience with Lincoln Lodge began when I inquired about reserving a block of rooms for my wedding which was taking place across the street. I figured that the convenience of the location may be of higher priority to myself and some of my guests over choosing a fancier hotel. Like many small, independent establishments, Lincoln Lodge was unprepared to deal with booking rooms in the helpful manner that some larger chains could do, so for the most part I just told my guests to call and book on their own. However, I needed to facilitate the reservation in a couple of instances due to the complications of language barriers for some of my international guests and other circumstances. In one of those cases I stopped by the Lincoln Lodge to make a reservation for myself and told the attendant that there would be someone else calling in to book another room. Before the wedding, I asked my friend if she had made her reservation and she confirmed that she did.

On the night before my wedding, I checked-in to my room late (around midnight) due to last-minute decorating/preparations and when I got to my room it was completely dirty--soiled bed linens strewn about and all. I went to find the Lincoln Lodge attendant who told me that the hotel was completely booked--they had no other room for me, except the other room that my friend was supposed to call in and claim (which she did, but the hotel did not make the connection, and rather than checking with me to see if there was a misunderstanding, just decided that I was going to be billed for that second room, despite the fact that in large part, this hotel was booked-up because so many of my wedding guests had made reservations there).

Ok, so clearly, there was a misunderstanding with the room reservations because they don't have an easy system of blocking off rooms for events, and unfortunately are not courteous enough to try to work with someone who is bringing in some business for them, but that point aside, we have the issue of the dirty room. Instead of being grateful that despite the misunderstanding about the room reservations, now we can all move forward happily because they still have a room to offer me, the attendant tells me that I can use the other room that I have reserved, but that I have to pay for both rooms. Thus began an argument outside of the hotel at 12:30 am the night before my wedding about whether or not my friend who was staying in room #2, had indeed called-in (she did) or if she had booked online as the attendant was claiming. I had to go wake-up my friend to get her to confirm that she booked over the phone and was following up on my reservation. Only then did the attendant, say that he would refund the one room, but did not apologize in the least or refund my stay for having inconvenienced me by giving me a dirty room and having started this ridiculous problem and argument at such an inappropriate time. I found the whole situation completely distasteful.

So combined with the fact that the place is only ok on a good day and on a bad day a guest could suffer the kind of treatment I did, I do not recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is an old hotel built around 1930's-- Has lots of character- We enjoyed a clean room, and everything working well. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was a little lean but there is a Dunkin Donuts across the street and a Baskin Robins. New owner working on getting everything up and running well. Liked the decorate with wood paneling and brick walls. Good place to stay that is reasonable!!

Room Tip: Enjoyed Room 3 - Brick walls and wood paneling from the 30's
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is the worst place I've ever stayed in..the front desk manager and the housekeepers were so freakin rude. The room smelled really bad..the bathroom was dirty..the carpet was filty, was so dirty kept my shoes on, was afraid to sleep under the sheets! When I got home took a long hot shower to get the smell off me..was really bad..DO NOT STAY THERE!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this dump!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was in Urbana for a high school reunion, inconveniently scheduled for mothers' weekend at U of I. The reviews would have kept me away from this place, but there wasn't much choice.

My room had only one problem, a defective control unit on the heating and cooling unit. Leo, the manager, rushed to replace it when I told him about it. The bed was comfortable, and the bedding was clean. Towels are small but adequate. A scent of air freshener was noticeable as I was lying down to go to sleep but not overpowering.

Seven people there for the reunion were staying in five rooms at Lincoln Lodge. Among us, we noted minor problems but not the kind of things other commenters have reported. The rooms are spacious but somewhat dark, and one couple had trouble with their lighting. One person reported a delay getting hot water out of the tap in the morning, but this wasn't a general problem. I found the water ran quite hot, and the shower flow was pretty strong. The bathroom fixtures are old but serviceable. Leo was very accommodating, getting us hot water for tea when we arrived. We sat in the lobby/breakfast area and visited; it seemed well suited to the purpose.

We didn't eat breakfast there, but the offerings were the sort of things motels put out: a couple of kinds of cold cereal, orange juice, bread, donuts. There's milk in the refrigerator. The coffee isn't much. (Note: There are coffeemakers in the rooms.) Wi-Fi didn't seem to work well in the lobby, but it was good in the rooms.

We didn't notice anything untoward or threatening about the neighborhood. We walked to dinner the first night at Rainbow Garden, a decent Chinese restaurant in a nearby strip mall. The next morning we walked the opposite direction for breakfast at Einstein Bros. Bagels. Didn't see any threatening-looking people. As usual for a motel, this one is on a highway but doesn't seem to be in an especially bad part of town. It was very quiet there at night.

We paid $100/night per room (plus tax). Posted rates in the lobby are $55-$60, but rates go up on crowded weekends. I don't think it's a ripoff. This place isn't exactly a destination hotel although it could be quite nice with a little renovation. But it's nothing to shy away from, either.

Room Tip: We were in the rooms close to the lobby. I don't know if all the rooms are in the same condition...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
chicago, Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed here ONLY because we could not find another room on an Illini football weekend when we were visiting our son. The rooms were dingy, filthy, old and disgusting. When I pulled the bedspread back, there was a dead cricket in my bed. I should have slept in the car! We were charged "double" ($112 w/tax) because it was a Big 10 game weekend. The rooms are so bad that I can't believe they can stay open. Aren't there any inspections for this type of place in Urbana?
Do not stay here under any circumstances!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Lincoln Lodge? Share your experiences!