Save Saved
You added Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana to your Saves list
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1907 N Cunningham Avenue, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61802   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Urbana
Salem, Illinois
“Nice Suites!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have stayed here many times now for work related stops. Large, King beds that are very comfortable, clean rooms, nice size bath area and the kitchenettes are nice. Used the pool and excercise room a few times and are clean. Breakfast is very satisfactory. Usually eggs, bacn, sausage, potatoes, cereal, fruit and juices.

Checkin is smooth and fast. No complaints. Not a new property but kept up nicely.

Room Tip: Close to Cracker Barrell, Steak and Shake, Loco Toro, and Hickory River BBQ
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lees Summit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

There were 6 guests ahead of me at check-in and I expected a long wait. However, the two clerks on duty were very efficient (and cheerful) and the wait was minimal under the circumstances. The hotel looks like an apartment complex and appears more difficult to navigate than it actually is.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The room's microwave was clean, although a little under-powered, and the refrigerator (also clean) was larger than the norm for a hotel room. There was an in-room safe available, although there was an additional charge for its use.
My only beef with the room was a quirky climate control system. Apparently heat is not available in the spring and summer and AC is not available in fall and winter. It was not an issue during my stay, but could be problematic if the temperature is unseasonably cold in the spring/summer or warm in the fall/winter.
The room rate included a complimentary happy hour drink, but my schedule did not allow me to participate.
All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Oak Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed in a king suite in Urbana, IL. Check in was smooth, they provided a rose at checkin for mom's weekend, and the suite was spacious for myself and my young adult daughters. The king bed was comfy with plenty of pillows. The advantage was the size of the room and the location as my daughter lives on the Urbana side of campus. The room had a bit of a stale smell upon arrival, the heaters were a bit hard to control, the tub needed to be refinished (enamel was coming off), the tv's were older, but the size of the room outweighed my other comments. For the price of the room, the facility could use some updating. I would stay here again due to the location and size of the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at the Eastland as the wedding we had to attend blocked off rooms for everyone. We reserved a room at the wedding party rate. We found the hotel very easy to find, right off the interstate. Wehn we got into our room it smelled pretty bad. I looked around and was surprised for $109.00 a night how old and dated it was. I guess I might expect that is I was paying something like $79.00 a night but $109.00?? (We stayed at the Kalahari in the Dells for a wedding last month for $99 a night and it was updated, flatscreen TV, everything new and complete accress to the entire waterpark). We complained to the desk that our room smelled and wanted to change rooms and there was nothing but two full size beds left. Our room had an older TV in which the channels came in fuzzy, Coffee table and end table didnt even match. Our couch looked like it was fom my great grandmas house, very old, Stained ceilings, no garbage can in the room. We piled our garbage up on the table. We were hoping to sit in the hot tub upon arrivaal and asked the maid if there was one and she spoke no english. ( there was no hot tub, bummer)The next day I asked another maid for two towels and she didnt understand me either. The staff went into our room to spray air feshener while we were at dinner. We could smell it when we got back to the room but it didnt last long. You cant cover up the smell of old and musty. The heating cooling system is also old. If the heat is off its freezing, If the heat is on its a sauna! We entered through door 5 and everytime we tried to swipe our key the door would not open. We had to walk around 2 times in the cold. We were not the only ones this happened too. We saw others trying to get in with no luck. The breakfast was Ok day one but day two it was not so good. We came down at the same time but the selection was not as good the second day. Coffee was not good in my opinion although I am picky with coffee. We took the Hotel shuttle to the wedding. The shuttle to the reception was old and smelled HORRIBLE of smoke. The driver looked homeless!! The shuttle on the way back was much nicer with a clean cut gal driving it. The only good thing I can say is the beds were comfortable. They might have been updated. Plenty of pillows. front desk staff was nice. My son noticed the star rating for Trip advisor in the lobby. I was shocked that it had a good rateing. Wondered if the rateing was old? Was so looking forward to staying in a nice Hotel similar to the one last month and enjoying our weekend. Wish we would have walked out and went to stay over by the mall 5 min away where there was NICE newer hotels. Even if they would have cost a little more it would have been worth it!

Room Tip: ask to see and smell the room first!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Raymond C, General Manager at Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear MaryLynn1966:

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I apologize that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations.

The room that you had stayed in recently had new carpeting installed, the smell in the room was glue from the new carpet. In all of out other rooms we did not glue down our newly installed carpet for that very reason. From your recent experience we are definately going to put that room out of service and schedule new carpeting to be installed using pad and tack strips rather than glue. We had hoped that the smell would have dissipated by now.

As for our HVAC system in the main building, we recently replaced our boilers. The two extremes from hot and cold are unacceptable, our hotel guests should be able to relax and enjoy their stay and be comfortable. We have an mechanical engineering contractor scheduled to come out next week to provide a solution. With the main building being on a boiler and chiller system, the Illinois weather can be a challange with the warm days and cold nights. If you ever return to the area, please contact me directly and we have 48 rooms with central air located in our courtyard buildings. I would gladly upgrade you to a courtyard suite next time.

When these issues were brought to our attention during your stay, did our staff offer to move your room? I know we were sold out that evening and we tried our best to keep your party's rooms together.

I agree with you on the couch in that room type. They are very dated. We are in the process of replacing all of our couches as well as the old tube style televisions. I have been the General Manager here for the past 2.5 years and in that time we have made many improvements to the hotel. We fully renovated 52 of our double rooms, replaced every bed in the hotel, painted every courtyard suite with accent walls and a warm mocca color, put in a brand new parking lot and new parking lot lights, made updates to all of our meeting space. We are currently replacing carpeting in all of our 48 courtyard king suites, replacing pull out couches in all 73 suites and many more updates to come. Unfortunately we just cannot do everything at once. It is an older property and we understand that in order to complete with new hotels, we need to continue to update our rooms. The previous manager did not update as needed and myself and current management team along with ownership are committed to improving our property.

In response to the shuttle to the reception, the groom wanted all of the guests of the wedding to arrive at the reception at the same time. We have a brand new 11 passanger shuttle van and there were more that 11 people in need of the shuttle. Normally we make multiple trips with our shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the venue until all guests were shuttled. In this case, to accommodate the groom's request, my Operations Manager called a local cab company with a van to shuttle guests to the venue in addition to our shuttle. This was the only cab company that had a van available. We paid for this additional shuttle as well. I just want to let you know that the shuttle you had taken to the venue was not our shuttle nor did that driver work for us. The shuttle you took back from the venue was our shuttle driven by a member of our staff.

That is wonderful that you received such a great rate of $99 at the Kalahari in the Dells! I take my family to the dells one to two times per year. We always look at staying at the Kalahari but can never find a rate lower than $220 per night even in their off season. We always end up staying at the Wilderness. $99 at the Kalahari is wonderful!

Thank you again for taking the time to write a reveiw. Without feedback like yours, it can be difficult for us to improve.

Warm Regards,

217-367-8331
rceresa@eastlandsuites.com
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the Eastland apartments for three years until I left town for another job. The studio apartments are really the best value in town for a single person. The apartments are quite spacious for a studio and have been just built (I think I was the first to move into my unit). The community is managed extremely well, and the amenities (washer/dryer in unit, access to large in-door pool) add great value to the apartments.

The apartments and the hotel are managed by the same unit, and my concerns were always responded quickly and professionally. Just a few examples:

- When I first moved into the apartment, the A/C was broken and I was assured that it would be fixed when I arrived home from work at night. When I returned with the A/C still not working, I was offered to stay at the hotel one night free of charge! (The A/C was fixed the very next day.)

- I had to take an extended trips abroad twice, each time for a few months. Each time, the management collected my mail every few days and left them in my apartment. I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to do this for me.

- When I was about to leave town, I had some logistics issues about terminating my lease, and the management was very willing to work with me to settle some of the issues.

All in all, my experience with the apartments and the management over the past few years were simply great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fort Dodge, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel was clean and the beds were comfy-soft, but we could not get the heaters to produce heat in either of the rooms that we had procured. This hotel is highly rated, but we felt that it was only average. We chose this hotel through an online source because of its location near the bus station.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lawrence, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend conference in one of the meeting rooms. While the layout and architecture was pure 70's, the property is well maintained with surprisingly few signs of wear.
My room was spacious. Bathroom, while somewhat dated, was clean, functional and in good working order. Thick, soft towels. Beds were comfortable and linens fresh. TV and internet worked fine. Carpets in the room and hallways were in good shape. My 2nd floor room had a small balcony overlooking a large grassy courtyard. Not that the courtyard was very interesting, but certainly more pleasing than the parking lots or Applebee's I usually view from a hotel window.
The breakfast area was clean and had a well stocked hot and cold breakfast buffet. When I checked in, I was even greeted by a friendly giant parrot by the front door!
This is a sprawling set of 2 story buildings. Lots of available parking close to your room, but be prepared to walk some pretty lengthy corridors between your room and the breakfast/reception area.
I did not use the exercise or pool facilities, but they looked fine.
A couple of minor negatives: Only one small set of public restrooms situated far away from the conference rooms. No elevator to 2nd floor rooms - not a big deal for me but might be for someone with lots to carry or problems with stairs. Also the heat/AC controls in my room were antiquated and I could never quite figure out how to get the heat going. Fortunately the weather was mild and I didn't really need it.
The more I add to this review, the more I like the place. Just updated from 3 to 4 stars for value and interest. I will likely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the grassy area behind the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana

Eastland Suites Hotel And Conference Center Of Champaign-Urbana
Eastland Hotel Urbana
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center Of Champaign-Urbana IL
Address: 1907 N Cunningham Avenue, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61802
Location: United States > Illinois > Champaign-Urbana > Urbana
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Urbana
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana 2.5*
Conveniently located in Champaign-Urbana, just off Interstate 74 and only minutes from the University of Illinois and regional business districts, Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center offers you well-appointed accommodations and superb amenities, including daily complimentary hot buffet breakfasts, the largest indoor heated hotel pool in the region, nicely appointed standard double rooms, queen and king suites (some with fireplaces), as well as flexible meeting spaces and supporting services for conferences, banquets, and wedding receptions. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.