“Good choice in U of I area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1003 Killarney Street, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61801   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Urbana
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good choice in U of I area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Never had a bad experience at any HI Express. This was no exception. Nice and clean, Comfy bedding. Good service, Adequate workout facility (and nice and cool), but it would have been better if it had some weights or at least medicine balls. Breakfast was fine. Easy access. Not much around there for restaurants in walking range. Very well maintained given it was not a new property. I'd go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

After traveling for nearly 8 hours with my daughters, and LEAVING a neighboring hotel due to ANTS, I was relieved that this hotel had a room for us! The rooms are spacious, clean, and in my opinion a great deal, and the continental breakfast had many options for even the pickiest eaters! The pool was very clean and hot tub accommodating! We did stay here on our return of our out of town trip as well! The second shift desk clerk was exceptional!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Illinois City, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a clean property and exactly what we have come to expect of a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

very good experience in all regards. Rooms clean and nice. B'fast was good - but ran a little short of some items close to shutdown time.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Edwardsville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were in town for a wedding, met by busloads of soccer players and parents who came for a weekend tournament. Still, the hallways at night were relatively quiet (I guess the kids were tired out). Our third-floor king suite was very clean, comfortable, and cool. Check-in was easy, and check-out at nearly noon was no problem. We simply hung the “quiet please” card on the door, and the housekeeping never bothered us, even after stepping out for brunch. There’s plenty of parking here, with easy access to I-74 via Lincoln Ave.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
on the river in Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here while attending the Illinois Basketball Banquet. The reviews had this hotel better than the Holiday Inn where the banquet was being held. So I chose to stay here. When getting ready for bed I saw an ant crawling on my pillow. I looked further and found the source was the floor and wall behind the night stand. I called to the front desk. The guest service host Audra was very nice and told me she would switch our room. I was to tired to pack everything up and just dealt with it.We did get $20 bucks off of our bill the next morning at check-out. But needless to say I didn't sleep real well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
jeffedwards, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area), responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Thank you for your recent reply. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issue that you experienced during your recent stay. We strive to give the best service and product possible and in this instance we failed to provide this to you, our most valued guest. I have taken the liberty of working with our housekeeping and maintenance departments and together we have put procedures in place to ensure that what occurred with your room does not happen to another guest. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is through the input of our valued guest's that allows us to have the high quality and service that we strive to achieve.
Schererville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband & I used to live in Urbana and were in town visiting friends for a night The hotel's website says the hotel is "Downtown/City Center.” There aren't really any hotels that are downtown or in the city center, but the HIE is a bit further from things. The areas between the hotel and the U of I, downtown Champaign, downtown Urbana, or the mall aren't the greatest. Close drive, not really walkable or anything. The only nearby restaurant is a truck stop/road side diner type place called Urbana Gardens. There are much more convenient areas to stay in Champaign. If you really want to stay in Urbana this place isn't awful.

Check-in was a bit slow but fine. I was really surprised that this hotel has one smallish loud elevator, which probably leads to frustration on busy weekends. Our room had two queen-sized beds. The bathroom was pretty basic with a pretty granite counter top. I was surprised the room had a small non-LCD TV. The room was large, other than two queen beds, there was also a chair, dresser w/ the TV, and a desk.

My first issue was with the cleanliness. The bedding seemed clean, as did the towels, but the room could use some real deep cleaning. The carpet was very stained. I don't know if anyone has tried to clean it, but it either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I refused to not have my shoes on the whole time. The bathroom was also not in great shape. The tub had a few hairs in it. My big issue was that all of the corners of the room had a collection of dust & hair stuck in them. Not huge dust bunnies, but enough that wiping it with a Clorox wiped cleaned it up easily enough (housekeeping might try this). I'd say what a broom, mop, or vacuum can't do housekeeping leaves on the floor.

While the beds were comfy and had the usual Holiday Inn pillow assortment, I did not sleep well. Our room was on the second floor on the back side of the hotel. Unfortunately, the back of the hotel is too close to I-74. All night I heard road noise. Lucky the highway isn't too busy I guess. In addition, the heat/ac unit was kind of loud and ran too much. We didn't have any issues hearing other guests but the hotel also didn't seem too full. We also didn't have any issues with water pressure in the bathroom, just a problem that our showerhead leaked where it connected to the pipe, which caused water to hit the faucet and splash out of the tub (yes solvable with an extra hand towel on the edge of the tub, but another long-term care issue).

Breakfast was fine. Scrambled eggs (not the preformed kind, but probably from a carton), very overdone super thin buffet style bacon, yogurt, cereal, toast, juice, oatmeal, coffee, biscuits & gravy, etc. Of course the normal HIE cinnamon rolls, yum. There was the pancake machine thing also. The machine at this HIE made rather pale, non-fluffy, rubber-like discs. YouTube leads me to believe that other machines make the pancakes a bit darker/more cooked looking, but the machine at this location makes me wish that I had a camera at breakfast. The outside was pale and barely browned; the inside was just as flat and smooth as the outside and resulted in something that neither my husband nor I wanted to eat.

I don’t know that I’d stay at this hotel again. I just think there are probably more convenient locations that are a bit cleaner. Furthermore, the price isn’t great. Maybe if you stay only at HIEs this is the place for you. If you need to be on the north side of Urbana right off the Lincoln Ave exit, I guess this might be the best option. Otherwise, they’d have to clean it up a bit for me to want to stay again. I just really don’t find redeeming qualities. In the future I'd probably stay in Champaign.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot, on an upper floor.