“Motel No More” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hanford Inn & Suites

Hanford Inn & Suites
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Urbana
Hanford Inn & Suites
Save Saved
You added Hanford Inn & Suites to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2408 N Cunningham Avenue, Urbana, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61802 (Formerly Park Inn)   |
Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Urbana
Champaign, IL
“Motel No More”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

This motel had become an extended stay facility with families and transient/migrant workers setting up there for weeks and months. Today, the Urbana, IL Fire Department removed all residents from the facility and closed it down due to code violations including inoperable smoke detectors and black mold issues.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Not safe: Window in our room wide open when we arrived, no screen, did not lock. Outside door locks to the building were removed, so anyone could walk in. Non-English speaking banquet patrons traveled about hallways and around doors all night long. Very noisy: Exit door by our room slammed all night long and into the morning, Sound from banquet rooms traveled throughout hotel. Dirty: Floor where breakfast was served was sticky and gross. Our room was dusty and dirty because window had been left open. Faulty Advertisement: No exercise room or facilities. Outdoor pool was not open or even close to being ready to open. Should be taken off recommendation lists of Uniersity of Illinois and the Champaign-Urbana Chamber of Commerce until all above are rectified.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

The entire hotel smells terrible. The rooms are very old and dirty; I could not walk around barefoot for I was afraid that I would catch mold. The comforter on the bed had these burn holes in them. The wall has some fabric covering over it that has mold on the corner. There are also a few people working at the hotel so the front desk person is also the room service/housekeeping/bell service person. When I looked behind the TV, I saw an old Gatorade bottle. The phone is from the 1950s; there is no way to contact the front desk. I needed more towels but there was no way to reach the front desk. The WiFi also does not work from the rooms, only from the lobby. The location is terrible, right behind a trailer park and away from the main city district. The breakfast was decent, but not plentiful. I had to bring some more food to fill myself up. All in all, this hotel is old and dirty; if you are a neat/germ freak NEVER stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

All I have to say is this hotel offered us a room for well over $150/night bc of special events taking place at UofI and it was almost impossible to get a "partial" refund. Beware of this hotel because there are transient/homeless living in the hotel. It is unsafe, dirty, noisy, and scary! My sister thought she heard a gunshot during the night. I slept fully clothed from head to toe wearing a hoodie on my head to protect me from touching the sheets. Our curtains had holes in them and the sun came in through them in the morning. Nobody at the hotel feels sorry about the lack of cleanliness. It's a disaster. I don't know how this hotel hasn't been shut down already.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Champaign, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I met with Allen Lee, the General Manager over a week before our event was held at the Hanford Inn and he agreed on the price that the previous manager set with us last July. The day before the event a friend and I came by to make sure everything would be set up as we had discussed. We ended up helping set up tables ourselves and putting the linens on the tables, that we also had to pay for. He assured me there would be a sound system and everything would be all set. The morning of the event, the room was a mess. Evidently there had been a leak in the ceiling, tables were moved and chairs stacked back up. So, we're setting up again. The sound system was not good, most of the time we had to do without. He told me they would knock $50 off the fee due to the disarray when we arrived. Then when it was time to pay, he charged us $300 over what was agreed upon. Unfortunately I was not present when they were settling up, but I doubt linens should cost that much! He said for "set up and clean up fee" was part of the price. Evidently he forgot that we did much of the setting up, twice, ourselves.
I called him the next day and as I started to share with him that I was very upset with the rate of the room going up, he said "there was no other place in the Champaign area that we could have gotten for that price". I started to explain that was not the issue, he agreed to that price....he hung up on me. Great business move!
The facility smelled bad, roof leaks, chairs stained and management was rude and dishonest! Whoever owns this facility should fire Allen Lee for his behavior!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Despite of the reviews I have read prior to my reservation, I gave this hotel a chance and actually had an honest dialogue with the 2 hotel managers. They were very sincere and honest about all the allegation yet they take pride of their hospitality and accommodation. The facade of the hotel might not look inviting but the lobby, conference rooms, and rooms are well kept and maintained. The managers even arranged for my cab ride from the hotel and back. I was there for the IL-Mich game and despite of the crazyy Halloween nights on and off campus, the hotel was able to arrange my cab rides those 2 nights. The 3 managers were very professional and accommodating. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel because my sister had her wedding reception in the hotel's ball room. I reserved the Parlor Suite because I was informed by management that this was the second best room in the hotel. The best room (Presidential Suite) had already been reserved for the bride and groom. Upon entering the room, I instantly smelled mold and mildew. The front desk clerk had been nice enough to escort my family to our suite, and when I inquired about the horrible smell, he simply shrugged his shoulders and walked away. I noticed that the suite did not have the microwave and refridgerator as promised on the webside. I asked the clerk where they were, and he stated that he would have to locate them and drop them off the next day because he was the only one on duty. I told him that that was unacceptable and that I needed the microwave and refridgerator delivered immediately. He finally dropped them off shortly after midnight. My entire family began complaining of headaches. The bathroom floors were filthy and unbearable to walk on. The toilet would not stop running and was very loud. There were bugs flying around and crawling on the lampshades. Upon pulling the spread back, we noticed dirt and hair on the sheets. There were also dirty dog chew toys in the corner. I decided to drive to the local 24 hour walmart for cleaning supplies and shower shoes for my family. I spent over 50 dollars in hopes of cleaning the room so that we could sleep comfortably. After thoroughly cleaning for 2 hours in the middle of the night, I still could not remove the horrible smell of mold and mildew. The next day when housekeeping arrived, the maid simply came in and ran plain water in one of the bathrooms. She did not touch the other bathroom, and never brought any form of cleaning solution into the room. She did not vaccum or make either of the beds. She did not even have the common curtesy of dumping the trash. When I asked if she was planning to make the beds, she smacked her lips, sighed and simply pulled the covers to the top near the pillows. I informed her that the sheets were filthy and needed to be changed. She proceeded to argue with me, stating that the sheets were clean because I had only slept on them for one night. I politely informed her that the sheets were dirty when we checked in. She stormed out of the room and came back to change my bed. The other bed was simply left unmade. While waiting on her to change the sheets, having tons of work to do, I attempted to connect to the free in-room WI-FI that was advertised on the website. My teenage son had attempted to connect the previous night while I was cleaning, however he was unsuccessful. As expected, after several attempts, I was unable to connect. My parents finally arrived and upon carefully checking over the room, they found the mold and mildew. It was determined that the room had previously flooded and the carpet was infested with mold and mildew. This explains why I could not get rid of the smell. Also from the numerous clacks and peeling paint on the ceiling, water had also leaked in from upstairs. I decided it was time to go and have a little chat with the manager. I also took my receipt for all the money I had wasted on cleaning supplies.As expected, she did not lower the price of my previous nights stay, nor did she offer to reimburse me for my purchases. The manager apologized for all of the issues with my room and stated that she was very suprised because no one had ever complained about the hotel in the past. I found this hard to believe. Seeing as though I still had 2 more nights at the hotel, the manager offered to move me for one night to a basic double room, however stated that I would have to move again the following night to a different room. This was unacceptable. I asked her to place me in a room that I could stay in for the remainder of my visit. She appeared very agitated and put one of the clerks on the job of locating a room for my family. Approximately one hour later, after asking him 3 times if he'd found anything yet, he finally provided me with a room upstairs. He made a comment that I would probably be much happier upstairs because none of those rooms had flooded (Obviously a Freudian Slip). The manager suggested I use the computer in the lobby if I needed the internet. She stated that she did not know why the internet was not up and running in the rooms as promised. I informed her that I had a great deal of work to complete for my job and this was truly an inconvience having to sit in the lobby vs. my private room. Upon approaching the computer in the lobby, I noticed that there was an expensive fee for using it. I must admit, my new room was much fresher than the original room. The hotel offers free breakfast which consisted of stale raisin bran,and bagels with outdated jelly. The milk and juice were both open and warm with fruit flies/gnats flying over them. The hotel catered food served for the reception was just as bad (if not worse) than the breakfast. My final complaint is that the morning after my sister's wedding, she and her husband were scheduled to fly out to Mexico for their honeymoon. They had previously made arrangements for the hotel shuttle to take them to the airport. After comfirming this the night before and told to be in the lobby by 5:40 am, 6:00 am arrived and the shuttle was nowhere to be found. After panicking and calling the manager at home, it was suggested that they simply take a taxi. My sister and her husband arrived at the airport 4 minutes prior to take off. This was a very close call considering with it being a small airport, there is only one flight per day. This was the absolute worst, most stressful hotel stay I've ever experienced in my life. I would not reccommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hanford Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!