“Decent hotel, but needs some fine-tuning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola

You added Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola to your Saves list
Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1006 Southline Drive, I-57 & US 36, Tuscola, IL 61953-2044   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tuscola
Macomb, IL
“Decent hotel, but needs some fine-tuning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We needed a place to stay while participating in the Decatur Bob Galloway Arthur ride since hotels in Arthur are scarce. We also liked Tuscola for their Italian restaurant 'Tuscany' which, much to our great sadness, is now out of business.

The Baymont had a decent room. The beds were not pillow tops, but comfortable. The shower and stool are in a small room while the bath sink is outside. Although the room is clean, we also found food inside the drawers in our room. They may want the cleaning people to check that.

They have a pool, but it is only open from 7 - 10 PM which I thought was kind of strange. They also have a hot tub, just without the hot part. We asked about that to the front desk guy, who happened to be also handling the laundry (weird) and he said, 'oh, yea, I think the heating element is broken.' Really? Have you thought about getting it fixed?

They have a continental breakfast that's adequate, but nothing to get excited about. No 'make yourself waffles' like other places now do. Only one toaster that created a waiting line when it got busy.

All in all we were comfortable and may consider staying here again when we are in town. Not sure what our other options are.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashley S, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We do apologize that the hot tub and pool were cool when you were at the hotel. We have received some major replacememt parts for them and they should be better in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
STREAMWOOD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We arrived after a three hour road trip. We walked in and were not even acknolwedged by any of the staff. Renee was working at the front desk and was with a customer and just left us standing there. The she took a phone call and then finally, she helped us. As if this wasnt bad enough, she checked us into a dirty room. When I went back to inform her - with my luggage in tow, she said we were an hour early and check in isnt until 3 pm. I knew it was 2pm and so did she so why did she check us in - and why did she send me witha key to a dirty room? After shifting us to another room and swapping out the keys, I walked away and she yelled "you're welcome" and I thought - really? I should thank you for checking me into a dirty room? I went back that evenoing for extra pillows as they are really cheap wiht their pillows. I was told they would have to go on a witch hunt to find them - the guys showed up with two pillow about 15 minutes later and said those were the only two left. It was bad service, followed by mor bad service, followed by the worst continental breakfasts i had ever eaten. There are only three hotels in the area - I will choose from the other two next time I am in the tuscola area for an overnight stay. I can not reccommend that anyone stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

I apologize for the poor customer service you received during your stay at our hotel. It is never our intent that anyone be treated that way. We have talked to your desk clerks and hopefully no one else will receive this type of services. Thank you for submitting a review to Trip Advisor.
GLEN CARBON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our stay was nice and I would stay again. We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub in our Suite. The Bed was very comfy! I did not care for the smoke smell in the Hotel since we do not smoke. I smelled smoke in the morning when I woke up, I do not know if we were by a smoking room or not but the halls were very smoky smelled.

Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

Jean M, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are pleased that your stay was a pleasant one. we look forward to serving you again in the future.
CEDAR RAPIDS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Just off the interstate. Easy entrance and exit. Clean and comfortable room, good bed, helpful staff. We were on the side away from the interstate so the room was nicwe and quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

DORSEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We brought a pet, so expected the room to be "not as nice/updated", since most hotels keep their pet-friendly rooms this way. So we arrived with low expectations. The room was even worse than our low expectations! It looked as though it was formerly a conference room-had a dry-erase board on the wall. The bed was 2 mattresses pushed together & there was no headboard-the head of the bed was pulled away from the wall & you could see dust/debris between the bed frame/wall. The room smelled like smoke. The carpet was dingy-we were careful not to put any of our belongings on the floor. The bathtub was dirty. We went to use the pool/hot tub-both were green color. When we turned hot tub jets on, thick, white foam covered the top. Needless to say, we did not use either. Poor breakfast selection & only 3 tables to eat at (which were all being used), so we ate in our dingy room. Needless to say, we stayed a total of 10 hours in the room, because we couldn't bear to stay any longer, which cost us $80! We were in town for my brother's wedding & checked in at 11:00pm. If it hadn't been so late & we weren't so exhausted, we would have left hotel & went across street to Holiday Inn! I had read poor reviews on the hotel but thought I would give it a chance. I am sorry that I did---I paid $80 for a room that was worth maybe $40. We stayed in room 125. I can honestly say the TV was nice, room had a fridge, convenient location, front desk check-in employee was nice. We didn't complain to hotel because we were so tired & wasn't up to explaining all this! Thank you for allowing me to share my experience & hopefully the room will be updated.

Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

We apologize that you were disapointed with your stay at the Tuscola Baymont Inn & Suites. We do have an expanded continental breakfast and have more items than we are required to have. The Breakfast area has 4 tables and on some days it is not enough. We have had some major replacemen t parts for the pool and hot tub. We feel that the area will be better in the future because of these parts. The room you were in is a meeting room also and we don't rent it as a regular room unless we are fairly sold out. Thank you again for your review.
Romeoville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed he because it was suggested by out tour company. Upon arriving and getting to our room the hall and the room smelled like smoke. The room was clean for the most part not I don't think they change the bed covers. Some of the electric outlets did not work. When I went to tell the front desk I was talked to like I was stupid and didn't know how to use an outlet. We weregoing out at this time so I asked her to fix it. When we returned the outlets worked but they had unplugged my laptop and now the battery was dead. We went to the pool it was cloudy and smelled like raw sewage. The smell was unbelievable. When I asked fir a towel the lady said they were all in the rooms. She was very rude. She was also folding the bed sheets and they were hitting the floor. Ewww. The next day we had the same problem with the electrical outlets. This was the worse hotel I ever stayed in. Fore $100 a night I expect more. I got ripped off.

• Stayed July 2012
Ashley S, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Tuscola, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Please accept my sincere apology regarding your stay at the Baymont Inn & Suites in Tuscola, IL. what you experienced is not the standard we strive to uphold. We have reviewed the issue with the pool and have made appropriate changes to prevent this from occurring in the future. Again I am sorry your stay was anything but pleasant .
Central City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Nice hotel. We are from out of state and had to return to Illinois for an unexpectedly death in the family. I booked the room on the internet and then called and asked if we could have an early check-in. I explained that we were driving from a distance and wanted to be able to freshen up before the wake service started. The person who answer the phone said she would do the best she could. When we arrived the next day the clerk got us right into our room. We appreciated this.

The room was clean, although it smelled stuffy. Suppose to be smoke free, but had a slight tinge hanging in the air. But we turned on the A/C and when we returned from the wake, the room was fine. We had the whirlpool suite. We did not use the whirlpool tub, but the housing for the tub was cracked and appeared to be in poor repair.

We used the tub and whirlpool. Both were adequate.

We did not use the free hot breakfast. We have been here before and found it to be lacking.

Only problem we had with the staff is their apparent lack of training with internet bookings. Both the clerk that checked me in and the one who checked me out seemed to have difficulty with an internet booking. The agent who checked me out, was not sure he could generate a receipt for an internet booking. I find this to be puzzling.

All in all, the hotel served our purpose.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms tend to have a heavy smell in the rooms. Not quite smokey, but one gets the feeli...