We traveled too Kishauwau in January as a winter getaway. Overall I thought the place was clean, cute, and well located for nearby attractions. It wasn't everything I wanted, but it wasn't a disappointment either.
1. Instantaneous hot water heaters: Unlimited hot water. Awesome for the jacuzzi tub.
2. Quiet, private. After dark there was no noise. The hotel staff does not visit your room unless there is an emergency.
3. Nearby local attractions. Very close to Starved Rock, which is an excellent State Park. We also visited Utica, La Salle, and Streator. Utica was worth it for the wine tasting rooms, La Salle had a few excellent restaurants.
4. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The cookies were delicious!
5. No television channels- which I consider a pro. The room we stayed in had a 19 inch tube TV with a DVD/VCR player and the office has a ton of movies that you can borrow at no cost.
6. The Americana cabin, where we stayed, overlooked the Vermilion, which I thought was nice. It was one of the no kids/no dogs cabins.
1. So many rules. There were pages and pages of rules. I think most of the rules were common sense to the responsible and courteous traveler, but some I felt were over the top. The rules included quiet hours after dark, not driving in the grass areas, cleaning up the kitchen (including wiping down the counters and washing and returning your dishes), and bagging your garbage and bringing it to the office at checkout.
2. Amenities. The cabins offer a kitchenette and an array for utensils. But they lack soap, shampoo, and blow dryer. The only mirror in the Americana cabin is small and hard to use. I'm pretty short and I could only see my face from the chin up.
3. No cell phone service: Maybe this is a pro?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kishauwau Country Cabins is a family run cabin rental property on 55 wooded acres in north central Illinois. Very near Starved Rock State Park, we are one of Northern Illinois' premier cabin rental destinations. Just a 1 1/2 hour drive from most southern suburbs of Chicago or 2 hours from downtown Chicago Illinois, there are a multitude of things to do in this area. You will love being only a 10 minute drive from Starved Rock State Park where there is plenty of hiking and activities for your daily adventure and Utica, Illinois where there are local shops, dining, wineries and antiquing. Or, if you choose, you can stay tucked away on our 55 acres of beautiful, quiet, wooded property at your country cabin retreat. Whether it's romance you seek or getting the kids away from their cell phones and video games, Kishauwau has just what you need. Kishauwau Country Cabins offers rental luxury cabins for weekend, weeknight, and all-week getaways. Our beautifully constructed cabins offer a blend of country charm but with modern conveniences. You and your guests will enjoy a fully equipped kitchen, a covered porch, personal outdoor fire pit, an indoor woodstove or gas fireplace and so much more. The only items you'll need to bring will be food, beverages, and condiments. ... more less