“A little Dated Location” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Tinley Park
michigan
“A little Dated Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I checked in early knowing the hotel was almost full Saturday June 30th. I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn's and being Membership Level: PLATINUM, I know there policies. I want a little upset with this location. There is no membership sign or person taking membership people. The room I was assigned was very small and I called the front desk as soon I walked into the room to ask for a larger room. The clerk stated there is no other rooms open due to they are booked. Both sinks in the bathroom weren’t draining. The bathroom was nice and clean. The a/c ran full the whole night and still wasn't cold.They have free wireless with a code. In the morning they change the code without telling you. They could say this is the code for Saturday and here is the one for Sunday. There is No coffee in the lobby(drove 2 blocks for coffee) and no free breakfast. The parking lot had paper ad’s on all the cars in the morning. There are about 4 other hotels across the street. They may be a better choice next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear whopper36,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Member and for your recent review. I'm so pleased you liked the cleanliness of your bathroom. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience you had at check in and for the room accommodations that fell below your expectations. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with our free wireless Internet access. We work very hard to be the best hotel around that provides world class excellence. For that reason, I will make sure your comments will be reviewed and will be used to improve our guest services and facilities. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to serve you again on your future stays.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Had early check in with ADA room. Stayed 3 nights. Staff friendly and responsive.
Restaurant under staffed but friendly. Food was average to fair. Numerous franchise
restaurants nearby, some within walking distance.
Super easy to access, in an out from expressway is 2 minutes tops.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I made a reservation to stay during a convention. I tried to check in early afternoon. The clerk said the hotel was at capacity this evening and my room wouldn't be ready until later. My co-worker had doble beds booked and checked in. Ok, I understand. I'll come back and check in that evening. I Check in, and the key doesn't work. I go down and have new keys made. They don't work. They send someone up with me to open the door. I walk in. It smell like smoke. I was given a double bed smoking room. I ask for another room and the reply is "I'm sorry, we're sold out we can't get you another room." I'm absolutely dissatisfied. No offer for any kind of help to make the situation right. Terrible hotel. Terrible service.

• Stayed June 2012
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
I am truly sorry for the mixup on your reservation. There were so many balls dropped by my staff and I take full responsibility. I had been informed by my overnight Manager on Duty about your situation. Please feel free to contact me so we can come to some sort of resolution for you. I assure you, this is NOT how we normally treat our guests!
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Although my stay here was short (one night), I was very impressed with the overall appearance of this property. Hotel staff were helpful and courteous. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Room service from the on-site restaurant was adequate but nothing special. I would very likely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Central Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The good first. Check in and desk staff all around, very polite, down to earth and professional! Parking, plenty! Access from and back to the highway, one of the best around, even my travel companion commented that it was one of the easiest we have ever traveled to.
Pool/spa/gym great! very nice size for a hotel, sauna is a nice touch and gym is quite large. All of it was immaculate.
Room was very clean and beds quite comfy, bathroom was nice. Kind of odd not having over head lights in the room but the lamps gave it enough lighting. Coffee pot, fridge and microwave all very clean and great working condition! Nice flat screen tv with plenty of channels.
Now to the food issue. We were traveling for an athletic event with weigh ins in the morning etc so decent meals were definitely desired and being disappointed with "Bananas" the in house restaurant does not even begin to explain it. We had a long day traveling to get there in the evening and did not feel like going back out to a local eatery for supper.
Service was below average for supper had to wait at least 20 minutes to even order drinks or food and there were no more than 5 tables of customers and it appeared to be no more than 3 people working on a Friday night. Food was high priced for the quality. The restaurant is trying to be high end fair instead of what it is, a Holiday Inn. My son ordered the spaghetti which he ate about half of if that thanks to the broccoli, large red peppers and huge pieces of bologna in it. He just wanted some spaghetti not some fancy interpretation of what it's supposed to be. I had the fish and chips. 2 pieces of fish with a lot more breading than fish a small hand full of fries. Had to ask for water more than once and had to go ask the host to find our waiter in the back after being done for 20 minutes to get our check, he was ready to swim.
Breakfast was not much better. A good 20 minute wait, we were preparing to get up and go find that Cracker Barrel just as our waitress, who appeared to be the only one working, finally appeared. The breakfast food was better than supper, but the service and wait time ruined that.
Staying all over the Midwest several times every year we have come to expect the normal buffet type meals on the weekends and this hotel does not offer it at all. They want you to eat in the restaurant.
We will be returning to Tinley Park in the fall and there is a decent chance we will stay in this hotel again, but we will prepare for our meals much differently, may even just bring our own stuff to microwave in the room as opposed to ever going "Bananas" again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear TJ4traveling,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. We hope you enjoyed your visit and are glad to hear you were happy with the hotel accommodations and amenities. Whilst I am pleased with the really good comments, I truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We are deeply sorry for the poor service you received in our restaurant. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I do not get any pleasure from complaining and do not write a negative review unless I am REALLY off-put by an establishment. Well, at last, Bananas in the Holiday Inn Convention Center motivated me to finally fire up the computer and vent.

I live in the area and have secured reservations for guests at the hotel. I have attended or organized meetings at Bananas many times since the hotel opened. There have been significant changes here in the last 2 years and not to the good in my opinion.

Bananas is listed as a "Bar and Grill." QUOTE: "Full-service restaurant & catering staff are ready with a wide array of menu selections to delight your taste buds." No, not even close. It should more accurately be described as a poorly designed bar with access to some food.

I do not expect "fine dining" or an "exciting culinary experience" at the Holiday Inn. The Chicago area is generally one of the best in the Midwest for dining. A restaurant here is expected to be something special or even a dining-as-theater experience. Bananas is, I believe, a high ceiling sports bar wanna-be without all the sophistication that description would imply.

In the last two years the Convention Center has doubled in size. The facility management as well as the executive chef have, sadly, changed. The Convention Center is striking and will win awards for the architecture. The catering capacity of this facility is huge, service for 2000. The restaurant should be good by accident. It is not.

On my last visit (April 2012) our party received the worst service and mediocre food I have encountered for years. The menu is small as one can reasonably expect in a HI restaurant. The choices as average and no stretch for a journeyman chef. The preparation was uninspired and delivered, after 55 minutes, lukewarm. The service was below what one could reasonably expect at the Cracker Barrel, just across the highway, and the food would be better there as well.

I wish I could find something nice to say about this place. I can not. There are good restaurants within a few minutes drive of the H.I. Convention Center Tinley Park, two are a long walk north. I suggest you explore a bit and I expect you will be better fed and better served.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your candid review. I do respond to all reviews, both positive and not-so-positive. If everything was exceptional, we could never find room for improvement, so I appreciate the feedback.

I presented your review to the Food and Beverage Director, and he is taking it seriously. I have been assured that steps are already under way to make Bananas a better dining experience-- a forthcoming new menu, retraining of staff, and a back-to-basics focus on guest satisfaction.

Give us a bit--then give us another try. Hopefully we can "wow" you in the future.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Most people know what to expect with a Holiday Inn and that's usually why they choose them. Reasonable rates and moderate accomodations. I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Tinley Park Convention Center and really had a great, and too short weekend. I am a travel agent so I get to see multiple hotels/resorts all year long. This is one of the better Holiday Inns. Laurie, the guest services manager was very prompt and friendly while we communicated via email and even held a reservation for me until I could get back to her with my true plans. Jessica, front desk, is a super great impression at check in; very professional, friendly and accomodating. All staff at the front desk were! The lounge staff always concerned about my happiness. I never thought to look into what kind of convention might be taking place during my stay but what a fun and totally unique experience to find a Reptile Convention in-house. We had a blast and my friend even ended up with two little Geckos.

You can expect the pool area to be crowded after dinner with a convention of any great size in attendance. We enjoyed the sauna and I noticed a nice patio area off the pool which will be great during the summer months.

I have a soft side for "off the beaten path" individuals but perhaps someone a little less tolerant might not have cared for the party crowd outside after the show. It was also St Patty's weekend and unusually warm so the whole area seemed to be in party mode. Better for me! Laughed a lot.

My room was very clean and bed super comfortable with a pillow selection and good coffee. Thanks so much for the fun, friendly and comfortable weekend! Hhhhmmm. Lots of good music shows coming up at the Amphitheater nearby....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
lmullan, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thanks so much, Lynn! I've posted your great review for all staff to see and communicated it with other managers. We all appreciate the great feedback!

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago-Tinley Park-Convention Center? Share your experiences!