“All you need for a short trip” 3 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Calcot Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Bath Road, Calcot, Reading RG31 7QN, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Calcot
Paris, France
“All you need for a short trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

There is nothing special about this hotel but it is clean, the staff are friendly and it's handy for the M4. The restaurant however is stuck in the 1980's and I wouldn't recommend it... rather bland and I think much of the menu is straight out of the microwave. Their apple and blackberry crumble is all crumble and no fruit and their wine selection is non- descript. The Merlot we had is something similar to the quality you'd expect on a flight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this hotel through Lastminute.com for an overnight stay. £65 overnight, this did not include breakfast.
First impressions of room we good, fair size room (94) with window, TV, dressing table and tea and coffee facilities.
Had to have the bed sheet changed as it had a stain on it.
Bathroom, small but functional, they do provide soap in a dispenser and out room had shower gel in a dispenser (Dove). Using toilet paper was an interesting experience as it is elbow level with the toilet.
Shower was wet and hot, a fixed head but did the job. Towels were soft enough and extra pillows were in wardrobe.
The bed was very, very uncomfortable, far too hard to get a good night’s sleep on. I like a hard mattress but this was like sleeping on just the base, really not impressed and this would stop me booking their again 
We ate in, wine pricing was in-line with most basic restaurants £16 for a basic Australian Chardonnay which was quite pleasant. Starter was nice, I had goats cheese and my fiancé had the crab pate. We both had steaks which were cooked well to our requirements. I had the cheese board, which again was very nice.
We were sat by the window which was very nice for the two of us. We were sat at a four person seating, restaurant was quiet and I feel it would have been nice if the waitress had cleared the extra settings from the table.
Breakfast was £10.25 each and very nice. Good quality food cooked well and set us up for the day.
Check in and check out were both smooth.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for soft mattress is available.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

To celebrate my wife's 40th birthday, 15 of us booked into The Calcot for its dinner and dance night. The food was excellent, a wide range of choices on the carvery and the breakfasts were brilliant too. The room was basic and clean and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Over night stay with dinner and dancing to a band . The room was very good and comfortable dinner started off well with smoke salmon starter, I chose steak for main course but both my husbands steak and mine was rather Tough and we didn't eat it but the cheese cake we chose for desert was very good. The band were good and the female singers were very good and fun to dance to. Breakfast was very good and fresh surprisingly as it was buffet and kept warm under lights

Room Tip: Ask for a room as close to reception as possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are all clean but basic. We went out after checking in, and returned to the hotel at around 8.30 in the evening. The car park was full to bursting, with some people parking their cars in a very selfish manner, taking more room than they need. There are no markings for spaces in the car park. There is no designated residential parking, which meant after driving around the whole car park, I was unable to find a space to park my car. This happened on a Thursday evening. They had a function on that was due to finish at 9.30 pm, but I have used and known this hotel for over 20 years, and never have I seen the parking this bad - not even at Christmas. Mine was a party that had two rooms booked, so you would think (at least) that there would be one designated space per room. Not so. It is a free for all!! I was told when I complained at reception, to park my car in the close opposite the hotel, and move it later. I found this unsatisfactory as I wanted to relax at the bar (as I was the only driver in my party) and I would not have been able to enjoy a drink for at least another hour. I had been driving all day and was ready for a G & T!! I found the lack of residential spaces very inconvenient. You'd think that when they know they are having functions, it would be logical to assume that there was designated residential parking spaces, especially when you know how busy the hotel can become with functions. After speaking to some of the staff, they all agreed that there should be residential parking, and it was obvious to me that this was not the first time someone had a complaint of this nature.

Room service. Actually wanted a bar snack but assumed room service was available all day. No so. Just at the times when the kitchen is open. So at 4pm when we wanted a snack, I asked if we ordered room service could it be delivered to the bar where we were sitting? (There were no bar snack menus available - so assumed they did not offer this) i was told that the kitchen was not open until 7pm. This seems ridiculous as room service should be available all day. Needless to say, my request was denied. So a bag of crips had to suffice. There were other people in the bar who also complained due to the lack of bar snacks, sandwiches etc. missing an opportunity here I think Calcot Hotel Management!

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Overall the hotel in ok. The common areas, the room and the washroom are nice and clean. I saw staff cleaning and polishing the brass lights shades in common areas. However the mattress is extremely uncomfortable. Not sure how old were the mattresses. I did not have the courage to check.

The washroom is very poorly designed. do not know how the hell would a big guy use the toilet. I was having a hard time.

I do not understand why do hotels have baths/tubs. It is the most impractical thing. Maybe 5% of the people use it but the rest 95% of the people would prefer a shower.

I would seriously suggest the administration to remove the batch and put a shower in its place there by saving some space for the toilet.

The restaurant and the bar area is small but n

The best thing about this hotel - Service other than that I would rate this hotel a poor.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the main road as it is noisy. Also do not select rooms from 1 to 35 as their a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
COALVILLE, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was not my first choice of hotel, but I had left it late in booking and I have never stopped at a best western hotel.

Check in was ok, although shocked to be given a key instead of a swipe card. I tried to book a table in the restaurant and was told the restaurant was nearly fully booked, and that can eat in the bar or room service. Getting to the room with a suitcase, laptop bag, shirt on a hanger, and coat is a bit of a nightmare as there are no lifts and I had a flight of stairs to get down to get to my room. The room was ok with an LCD tv etc, the decor in the room was classic, but it was clean.

Looking at the room service menu, I decided nothing was taking my fancy. So I headed out into Reading to find a restaurant instead. Only about 3 miles away.

Breakfast was confusing, the menu on the table says help yourself from the buffet, and then a waitress will come and take your order for tea/coffee and whether you want a cooked breakfast.

My room door (room 45) had tendency not to click shut, not ideal as you had to slam the door to get it to shut.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Calcot Hotel? Share your experiences!