“Fifth time at the Skokie Comfort Inn, always happy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Skokie

You added Rodeway Inn Skokie to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Skokie
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9333 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie, IL 60077 (Formerly Howard Johnson Hotel Skokie)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Skokie
Novi, MI
“Fifth time at the Skokie Comfort Inn, always happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I found this hotel several years ago when I went back for a Northwestern reunion. I've stayed there once or twice a year ever since. I have always been happy. It is convenient to the Northwestern campus, Old Orchard mall, many restaurants and Chicago. The free breakfast used to be first rate - it was in the restaurant with china plates. Breakfast is now held in a small room and eaten off paper plates, but the make-your-own-waffle machine is still there. Breakfast isn't as nice as it used to be, but it is still as good as a breakfast at a Holiday Inn Express. In fact, while I don't think of Comfort Inns as being very nice in general, this one is every bit as nice as a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. The hotel is right off a big street and across from a strip mall, so the area isn't so charming but it seems quite safe. I had a room in the tower which was very quiet and clean. The pool and hot tub are nice, the people at the desk are friendly, the internet connection was great and free, parking is both plentiful and free and there is always free coffee. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lincoln Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed in a double Queen #106 over the memorial day weekend. 4 days. Room was great, clean, maintained, and bright and quiet. Check in and out was fast and courteous. Breakfast was more than satisfactory and delicious too. Service was great. Manager was courteous and gave us directions to boystown, the holocaust museum, and shopping areas. We plan to go back around Labor Day and will probably stay there again. I would recommend this place to all my friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Evansville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend and I booked it because of the location and reviews. This hotel is dated and dingy. We wanted a smoking room and we were given a room on the second floor in the add on building. No elevator or carts for luggage so we had to make repeated trips to unload the car. The room was dated and the carpet was not clean. The bathtub needed updating as there was a film on the edges of the tub. I am positive that our room wasnt cleaned on Saturday, the housekeeping staff replaced only the towels. We had to park at the back of the hotel and the lot was deserted after dark, not safe for a woman.
Sirens go all night in this area and when we opened the patio door, it was an eyeburning smoke in the air. The location is okay but the price for this hotel per night is not worth for what you get. The alarm clock, TV remotes did not work. You feel secluded in the part where we stayed. This hotel needs alot of work. Our keys stopped working which caused us to rekey the room and that was a hassle because the layout of this hotel causes you to have to drive to the office. Beds were uncomfortable, quite hard. Noise is all around. Office staff not very helpful. It is an out of date hotel for $120.00 per night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

The room I had was immaculate, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was spacious, the location is convenient to Northwestern and there are convenience stores and gas stations in the immediate vicinity. The layout of the hotel in terms of accessing the "tower suites" is a little different, but manageable. While the brief duration of my stay precluded my using the swimming pool or exercise, both appeared very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Having a daughter at Northwestern and other family in Evanston, we have stayed at this Comfort Inn many times. We especially like the rooms with 2 sinks, one inside the bathroom and one outside. The complimentary breakfast is served in the adjoining restaurant, so it has extra perks: real dishes/silverware, coffee service, plenty of seats. The food choices are the usual, plus skim milk, nice fruit, half 'n' half. The manager stopped to talk with us at b'fast. The indoor pool is long enough to swim laps., but cooler than expected. The lobby has a computer/printer. The staff is friendly. Our room with 2 doubles was $80, mature rate, staying 4 nights. Our room had a refrig, microwave, and desk.

Across the street is a Jewel/Osco, Marshalls. Within walking distance is an upscale mall.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

Regrettably, I am compelled to make a complaint. For what it’s worth, I cannot recommend.

Dirty carpet & room reeked of odor, pet-friendly hotel need I say more. Hot water was on-again/off-again. Road noise! Public pool? Took forever to get privileges points! The hotel manager overstepped his bounds when complaints were made, passed the buck. His narcissist attitude toward the staff, his public barrage to the staff about undue issues was out of line. This is, of course, the epitome of unprofessionalism and no PR skills.

It goes without saying – Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. ... This was actually the second time I stayed here. There will be no third! You want to believe that you caught someone on a bad day, or they were going through a "rough spot" professionally or personally, or several other reasonable conclusions. My mind was telling me that this wasn't in my best interest. But the desire to assume the best prevailed and I booked again. What a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

I booked a king sized room for 89.99 a night (98.99 with taxes) through kayak.com. After a wonderful stay at a Comfort Inn and Suites in Florida a few weeks before this, I joined their "choice rewards club" and was enthusiastic about staying in another hotel from this chain. Since my boyfriend and I were traveling on a budget, a king sized room for 89.99 at a Comfort Inn that was a little less than 4 miles from Northwestern University (he had business there) sounded like quite the find...

Getting there: We flew into Midway Airport on a Thursday around 7:30pm and rented a car. It's about 30 miles away, but due to inclement weather and traffic around the city it took us a little over an hour to get to the hotel. With directions printed off of google maps, we encountered no problems getting to the hotel. It's easy to find. Just allow yourself extra time when heading back to the airport! On the way back to the airport (leaving around 3:15pm on a Friday)for our flight home it took us 1 hour and 45 minutes!

Parking at the hotel: Fills up as it gets later in the evening, but we had no problem getting a spot.

Check-in: Fast and painless. It took about 5 minutes.

The 1st room: We were given room 405 in the executive tower, which I believe sits right over the indoor pool area. This part of the hotel seemed more run down. I guess the elevator should have been a sign for what to expect from our room. It is quite small, so if you are traveling with a big family, you will not fit everyone in with luggage. After opening the door, we were met with a overwhelming odor of chlorine or some other chemical (and I am not sensitive to smells!!) The lighting was very, very dim (reminded me of a horror film). The carpet was stained with a white powder substance and looked dirty. The furniture and king sized bed appeared to be in very good condition (like new), however, the mattress, felt like it had the support and consistency of a cot. The bathroom looked run down and had rust stains in the toilet. We tried to "cowboy up," but I couldn't take the fumes (it started to burn my eyes). After 10 minutes, we packed up our stuff and went back to the lobby to ask for another room.

The 2nd Room: We were given another room with double bed (Room 207). It seemed to be in the refurbished part of the hotel. Thankfully, this was much, much better. So, if you go, I would venture to say avoid the executive tower area...unless they have completely refurbished it! There was no chemical smell. The room was small with a balcony (sliding glass door) but seemed newly refurbished. The bathroom was pretty small as well, but was very clean and had a functional hair dryer. Towels were not that great, but served their purpose of getting us dry. You can get free wireless internet in the room, which is convenient. The TV was medium sized and seemed to have a good amount of channels. The walls are thin, so you can hear what is going on outside. If you are a light sleeper, this isn't the place. The bed was supportive. Not amazing. On a scale 1-10 (10 being highest), I would give it a 6. The sheets were clean, in good shape, with no stains.

Service: Was excellent. The gentleman at the desk was concerned with finding us a more suitable room and had us in another room within 5 minutes of our request. His reason for our room smelling the way it did was because of earlier sanitization of the rooms...without the smell, I still think the room would have been unacceptable for their going rate of 115 bucks (our rate was discounted since we got it off line). Nonetheless, he did not give us any attitude. When we were trying to find a restaurant that would be open after 10pm, another gentleman at the desk gave us very helpful suggestions and directions.

Location: Less than 5 miles from Northwestern University. That's why we chose to stay here. It was very easy to get to the University from this hotel. The area of town seems decent. It did not look run down. Not too much traffic. You are about a few blocks away from a large mall (looked to have very decent shops, even a Lord and Taylor), which would appeal to you hard core choppers. We dined at a Cheesecake factory at the mall around 10:45pm (served food until 11:30pm!).

Breakfast: They had a free breakfast from 6-9am. It looked to be buffett with eggs, bacon, toast, etc. The staff was helpful and attentive. There was also pastries, donuts, cereal, oatmeal. Since we were up early, I had a donut and coffee. They served the purpose of supplying me with caffeine and a little something to fill my stomach. It was decent food, not amazing.

Checkout- fast and painless. Took under 5 minutes. Tried to get a discount on the room (since we switched to a double bed) but were told that we already had an online discount rate at 89.99 and that the double bed room we switched to would have been 99.99 per night.

Overall: If we were not on a budget and staying for longer than one night, I would have packed our bags and switched over to the Double Tree that was down the street. The rooms in the front part of the hotel are decent for the budget traveler just needing a place to rest his/her head for a night. If you are looking for a vacay to visit Chicago and relax, I would highly recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn Skokie? Share your experiences!