“Brief, but enjoyable stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9599 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie, IL 60077 (Formerly North Shore Skokie Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Special
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Skokie
“Brief, but enjoyable stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here when we came for a concert in Downtown Chicago. Parking is free, which one cannot get downtown in a major city of course. The hotel itself is very pleasant, with an aesthetically pleasant lobby area. Irene at the front desk was quite lovely, and made sure we had as many cookies as we'd like upon check-in. She was very welcoming, and very clearly described the property to us. (Bonus points for very graceful open-palm gestures!)

The room had a decent view, considering its surroundings are, you know, Skokie. In the distance from our 8th floor room (on the side of the hall with even numbered rooms), we could see the Chicago skyline in the distance. I imagine that on a clearer day than when we were there, the view is rather nice. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room very well-maintained and clean. The HVAC system was a shade noisy, but the room's temperature was comfortable enough that we didn't need to keep it running all night. We had no issues with noise from the hallway or other rooms (we were toward the end of the hall), which made for an excellent night's sleep.

As is the case with many hotels built in its era, the bathrooms are sort of tiny; pray to your chosen deity that nobody opens the door while you're using the toilet, as disaster will certainly ensue and your day, not to mention the housekeeper's, will be ruined. The toiletries provided were nice, with a pleasant aroma, and the hair dryer in the room was a step up from typical hotel hair dryers.

The staff was courteous and quickly responsive when we called down to ask for a recommendation for a cab company. They called one for us and had it waiting for us at the front door. The cabbie himself left a bit to be desired, but that's not the hotel's fault. It was a $40-ish cab ride (including a generous tip) into the downtown area. We took a cab because we knew we'd be drinking in the city, but for those who plan to drive sober into Chicago, it's a very easy trip.

Check-out was as simple as a phone call to the desk. I didn't catch the agent's name, but he was very courteous, asking how our stay was. The staff overall was very pleasant.

Many options for food are in the neighborhood, including a personal favorite, Portillo's, right down the block. Hard to beat that!

Full disclosure: We stayed here at a Hilton employee rate, which is a sizable discount, but I stand by what I say in this review, and would say the same things if I paid the standard room rate. If anything, being in the hospitality industry myself makes me a harsher critic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I'm so glad you got to meet Irene, she is certainly a great asset to our hotel. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
whitneyg730
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My fiance and I stayed in Skokie last October while vising Chicago and I was so grateful we did. The staff is amazing -- from the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we were treated like royalty. The front desk agents were so helpful and our room was very clean. You can tell the staff really cares about their jobs and makes sure everyone walks out happy.

The location was wonderful - not only were we near all of the shopping and restaurants in Skokie, but we were a short shuttle drive away from the train that took us right into the city. We told the shuttle driver we weren't familiar with Chicago and he explained the train system perfectly to us - we were very grateful for that!

I couldn't have asked for a better trip to Chicago and a better hotel to stay at while we were there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you were so impressed with our friendly staff, the convenient location and the free shuttle to the Skokie Swift. We work hard to make sure our guests feel like royalty and leave wanting to come back soon!
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for business recently with my co-workers, even though I live close (in the city of Chicago). I had planned to stay for two nights, but checked out after one because it wasn't nice enough to stay there instead of at home. The lobby was updated, the location is great, and the rooms were nice, but there are definitely some downfalls. The down comforter on the bed was seriously so thin that it felt like a sheet, so I froze all night, even after I turned the heat up. They clearly need to replace the comforters. Secondly, the rooms were SO loud. I could hear full conversations in the rooms next door, and there had been people partying down the hall earlier in the night, and I woke up at about 1:15am to hear someone getting extremely sick in one of the surrounding rooms. That's a great way to ruin a night of sleep. The bathrooms were so small, you could hardly move in it. The hot water in the shower was pretty much non-existent. While this is definitely the nicest hotel in Skokie, there are plenty of very nice hotels in Evanston.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for commenting that we are the "nicest hotel in Skokie." Your comments and suggestions are well taken, and we continually strive for improvement. We do have a lobby refresh project in the works for this year and I think you will be pleased with the new look on your next visit. I'm sorry and concerned to hear that your hot water was not functioning, that is not a common occurrence at our hotel and my engineering team is investigating our systems to make sure everything is working as it should. I do hope that you will consider us again for a home away from home the next time business or pleasure brings you to the Skokie area. We appreciate your business!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Noise from hall very loud in rooms. We had an experience where college athletic teams in house - loud partying in rooms was really bad. Staff was good to move us. Bathrooms are tiny, barely room for one person to get ready.
Convenient to shopping, restaurants, downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so sorry that you experienced noise near your room, but am glad that we were able to move you to a quieter area of the the hotel. Our proximity to Northwestern University along with our great rooms and friendly staff make us a first choice for many college teams as well as visitors to Northwestern. I do hope that you enjoyed your stay and will return again soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The only reason for a four star rating on this nicely appointed çlean hotel is a few customer service issues that need attending to. The central reservation number appeared to be local with a local exchange number however they were clearly well off premises and clueless! I attempted to add one more night to my reservation a few days prior to my arrival and after 28 minutes being placed on and off hold while she took other calls the rep informed me she could not locate my reservation even with after I gave her a confirmation number. I hung up when she offerred to make a new reservation at a rate of $50 more per night. I called the actual hotel front desk and they found the reservatio
n immediately. The front desk staff was super friendly. The other out of character thing for this premiere hotel was the lack of hot water for showers and their towel policy. We returned to our room after midnight and found they had cleaned our room and removed the used towels leaving us only one used hand towel we left hanging on the shower rod and a washcloth to share between the two off us. Good thing they had a box of kleenex in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Use front desk to make reservations ... only open 9 to 5 though. Check shower for hot water.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the frustration you experienced with central reservations. We would love to accommodate any reservation needs you have directly at the front desk or with our reservations coordinator in the future. I assure you, we are much easier to work with! I'm glad you found our staff to be so friendly. I assure you that the hot water issue and lack of towels you experienced are not common of our hotel and should you return you won't have the same problems. We really appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my sister & my two young kids (1 year old & 3 year old). The room was decorated very tastefully, my 1 year old enjoyed the wall of windows (even though it overlooked a roof), and it was very clean. The beds & pillows were very comfortable. We chanced going to the restaurant within the hotel because we really didn't want to get back in the car after having driven for 8 hours that day. We went earlier in the evening (but still on a Saturday) & asked the staff if the restaurant was child friendly. They ensured us that it was, but I still asked to be seated somewhere that my children wouldn't irritate too many customers. All of the staff at the restaurant that we encountered were very friendly, well-informed with the menu, and patient with my tired children. We had a wonderful & relaxing dinner.

After realizing a couple of days later that my son's stuffed lion was in fact missing, I called the hotel to inquire if one had been turned in. The front desk cheerfully told me that it was there & agreed to ship it right out. Thank you for finding my son's lion & understanding that children do not always sleep well without their "lovies." I would recommend this hotel & restaurant to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad you and your family were able to visit us and found our accommodations so friendly and comfortable. I'm especially glad that your son's "lovie" made it back safely! Thanks again for reviewing us and we hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel due to a convention and enjoyed my stay here very much. The room was nice and clean. nice sharp picture flat screen tv and the bed was very comfortable.
This hotel is right across the street from shopping area (Old Orchard), restaurants (thai, Portillos, IHop, grocery store (Jewel) and a host of other stores. The restaurant situated next to the lobby area (Jamesons char house) has a nice atmosphere and great food. Look for Ubi the manager- he is a great host.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your convention. I'm also glad you got to meet Ubi, you are correct he is a great host! Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!