“great location nice room but lacks hot water in showers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9599 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie, IL 60077 (Formerly North Shore Skokie Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Special
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Skokie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“great location nice room but lacks hot water in showers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The only reason for a four star rating on this nicely appointed çlean hotel is a few customer service issues that need attending to. The central reservation number appeared to be local with a local exchange number however they were clearly well off premises and clueless! I attempted to add one more night to my reservation a few days prior to my arrival and after 28 minutes being placed on and off hold while she took other calls the rep informed me she could not locate my reservation even with after I gave her a confirmation number. I hung up when she offerred to make a new reservation at a rate of $50 more per night. I called the actual hotel front desk and they found the reservatio
n immediately. The front desk staff was super friendly. The other out of character thing for this premiere hotel was the lack of hot water for showers and their towel policy. We returned to our room after midnight and found they had cleaned our room and removed the used towels leaving us only one used hand towel we left hanging on the shower rod and a washcloth to share between the two off us. Good thing they had a box of kleenex in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Use front desk to make reservations ... only open 9 to 5 though. Check shower for hot water.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize for the frustration you experienced with central reservations. We would love to accommodate any reservation needs you have directly at the front desk or with our reservations coordinator in the future. I assure you, we are much easier to work with! I'm glad you found our staff to be so friendly. I assure you that the hot water issue and lack of towels you experienced are not common of our hotel and should you return you won't have the same problems. We really appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my sister & my two young kids (1 year old & 3 year old). The room was decorated very tastefully, my 1 year old enjoyed the wall of windows (even though it overlooked a roof), and it was very clean. The beds & pillows were very comfortable. We chanced going to the restaurant within the hotel because we really didn't want to get back in the car after having driven for 8 hours that day. We went earlier in the evening (but still on a Saturday) & asked the staff if the restaurant was child friendly. They ensured us that it was, but I still asked to be seated somewhere that my children wouldn't irritate too many customers. All of the staff at the restaurant that we encountered were very friendly, well-informed with the menu, and patient with my tired children. We had a wonderful & relaxing dinner.

After realizing a couple of days later that my son's stuffed lion was in fact missing, I called the hotel to inquire if one had been turned in. The front desk cheerfully told me that it was there & agreed to ship it right out. Thank you for finding my son's lion & understanding that children do not always sleep well without their "lovies." I would recommend this hotel & restaurant to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad you and your family were able to visit us and found our accommodations so friendly and comfortable. I'm especially glad that your son's "lovie" made it back safely! Thanks again for reviewing us and we hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel due to a convention and enjoyed my stay here very much. The room was nice and clean. nice sharp picture flat screen tv and the bed was very comfortable.
This hotel is right across the street from shopping area (Old Orchard), restaurants (thai, Portillos, IHop, grocery store (Jewel) and a host of other stores. The restaurant situated next to the lobby area (Jamesons char house) has a nice atmosphere and great food. Look for Ubi the manager- he is a great host.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us during your convention. I'm also glad you got to meet Ubi, you are correct he is a great host! Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

First time at this hotel, I am a Hilton Member, found that the lobby was very nice clean and modern, the desk reception was very help and as always fresh cookies .I stayed on he first floor and it was a please not to wait for a elevator. I will change my on my Hilton Honors to lower floor. The room was very clean and neat. .The next time I will come back here again and ask for 1 st floor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a nice review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay including the fresh and warm cookies, comfortable room and friendly staff. We look forward to your next stay!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Another Hilton property with smelly elevators. Come on Hilton, you can do better! I won't go into detail on this point, partly because the key feature of the elevator was that the temperature was around 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4.44 C°) The hallways were very cold, too. The outdoor temperature was around 15 degrees F°, but that's no excuse, because the adjoining restaurant was nice and cozy (good food and friendly service, too).

I got another chill when I called the front desk to ask for a late checkout: "One pm is that latest you can check out without a penalty. One pm and no later. Click!" Uh, thank you for rewarding my loyalty. Quite a contrast from the previous Hilton I stayed in: "Two o'clock will be fine... You're welcome, sir. Have a great day." (This was at the Hilton Rosemont / Chicago O'Hare, I very good hotel which unfortunately also has a contaminated elevator--connecting the hotel to "skybridge" to the convention center and parking. Sorry for the digression, but smelly and potentially toxic elevators have been a sore subject lately.)

The room itself wasn't bad at all. Clean and relatively up to date. Nice TV with a convenient channel guide printed on an easy-to-find card. Plenty of places to charge electronics. Bedding was great, bathroom clean. The housekeepers I met in the hall were friendly and helpful.

When I checked in a manager greeted me as a returning guest (though I'd never set foot in the place) and seemed a little too interested in my Hilton Honors point balance and the particulars of my trip. The person who did the actual work of checking me in was all business, but very nice.

I might return to this hotel because of the location, right next to the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts (Northlight Theatre) and across the street from a big shopping center. Convenient to Evanston and Northwestern University. I just hope they fix their HVAC system before my next stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you will consider returning and that you enjoyed our friendly housekeeping staff and comfortable room. I do apologize about the temperature in the hallway. As you noted, it was below freezing outside, but you are certainly correct that we should have provided you with a warm and toasty hotel, in all areas. Again, thank you for reviewing us and we look forward to having you back as our guest the next time your travels bring you to the North Shore area.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have needed accommodations twice in Skokie and chose to stay here both times. Once again our second visit was exceptional and perfect. The staff is friendly, efficient and immediately handled any needs. Comfortable, clean rooms for two families in adjoining rooms. Our grandchildren loved the stay here. We will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I'm so glad you found us consistently excellent. We strive to impress all of our guests with warm hospitality and by providing the comforts they value when traveling. We do have an abundance of adjoining rooms and are perfectly suited for families. Thank you for visiting us and we look forward to having you back as our guests soon!
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Would highly recommend this location to colleagues, family and friends who may be traveling to the area. Nicholas (bartender) is an asset to the property as he always remembers your drink and provides solid recommendations off the dining menu. Rosie at the front desk is very helpful and received a courtesy call inquiring if there was anything that I needed during my stay. The Housekeeping Staff is always polite and friendly when passing throughout the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I'm so glad that you were able to interact with our wonderful staff. We know and value the impact that our wonderful employees like Rosy, Nicholas and our housekeeping staff can have on our guests and are so glad you felt their warm hospitality. I'm so happy you recommend our hotel and truly appreciate you sharing your comments with the world.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!