“Nice but loud” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5300 West Touhy Ave, Skokie, IL 60077   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Skokie
Eureka, California
“Nice but loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here over New years eve, it was close by a concert i went to on NYE. It got a great deal on the place. It was in a slightly questionable neighborhood, but that didn't bother me. When i checked in the guy was very nice. Even asking me if i would like a room near the pool. I love hot tubbing so i said "sure". Not realizing that the pool was located inside the atrium of the hotel which lead to a weekend of listening to kids scream and cannonball. Everything was echoed because it was inside so even if it was 3 kids or 20 it was loud. However there are lots of rooms not near the pool which i am sure are much quieter.

Room Tip: NOT BY THE POOL!!! unless you want to be kept up by children.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
jmmanag, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your most recent stay.I apologize for the less than perfect stay. I appreciate your feedback for it has always been the most important tool for us to improve our products and services as well as getting an idea about how we are doing. I hope that you would allow us to be of service in the future. We took all the necessary precaution to insure all rooms are safe and ready for service.

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family needed 6 rooms with 2 full or qween size beds at the last minute for a unexpected family funeral.
The staff made our stay easier and went out of there way for our comfort and needs. I will recommend and stay here again. Hopefully on different circumstances.
Thanks again.

• Stayed December 2012
Adam U, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We do our very best to make everyone as comfortable as possible and we are glad we were able to help make a tough time a lttle easier for you and your family. We hope to see you again soon, like you said under better circumstances.

Best Regards

Adam Udany
married to the military
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We've stayed here several times. The room has always been clean and the desk staff very cordial. However, we stayed there on Dec 29th and Bar Louie (restaurant/bar in the Hotel), hosted a UFC Fight night. The hotel is a holidome, and our room windows faced into the pool/atrium area.They put a big projection screen in the atrium and the crowds watching the game were VERY NOISY. The noise came right through the windows and didn't stop until midnight. We could barely hear our TV over it The crowd was definitely rowdy. Also, the hotel tends to cater to the Restaurant/bar by letting patrons take up a good majority of the hotel parking spaces in front (which are very limited to begin with) which paying hotel guests should have first chance at. We enjoyed the view of the pool until Saturday night when the big party took place. I think it was very inconsiderate of the hotel to do this in an area where hotel guests are paying to have some peace and quiet. There are plenty of ballroom areas in the hotel. Also, the heating/ac unit is definitely outdated. They did give us coupons for $10 off breakfast which was a good deal. We appreciated that. Not sure we'd stay here again, though, because we don't want to take a chance of having to listen to bar noise again.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure to have quiet, don't take a room facing the pool/atrium area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jmmanag, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the noise level in the restaurant. Your feedback will enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

While I understand your stay was not 100% as it should have been. I do hope you can stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our first room appeared clean however we discovered lice in the beds after feeling something biting us at about 3am. We found several lice in beds. We captured some in a cup. We were transferred to another room. We had to pack and unpack and shower all in the wee hours of the morning. Second room was bug free ... front desk staff accomodating but only offerred us free breakfast because had no authority to waive room charge or transfer us to another hotel in the area. Had no interest in taking our captured lice to properly identify. We spoke to the manager after the second night there and received assurances the first room would be treated .... eventually after a discussion our room charge was waived. Disappointed that the Manager did not contact us after she received notice of infestation . Despite our best attempts to leave the hotel bug free we were apparently unsuccessful. We had a minor infestation in our house and had to deal with that along with our numerous bites on legs arms and necks. It has been a month and we are lice free we think. Hotel has always been a great place to stay in the past.

Room Tip: As with all hotel rooms be vigilant. Check mattresses and pillows. In this case the lice were hid...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and give your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. First and foremost, I like to apologize for the less than perfect stay during your visit. . I appreciate your feedback for it has always been the most important tool for us to improve our products and services as well as getting an idea about how we are doing. I hope that you would allow us to be of service in the future. We took all the necessary precaution to insure all rooms are safe and ready for service.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon

Travelers are raving about these Skokie hotels

Hinckley, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed two days, Dec 1 - 3, at this hotel. Its probably my fourth stay in the past couple years. This stay was good. The Priceline rate of $48+ taxes per night was all it cost. Great value. Don't know if I'd ever pay much more. There are newer and older rooms. If you can get a newer room you'll notice the difference but still 49 bucks a night for a comfortable, fairly clean hotel with a large pool, hot tub, fitness center, buisness office, and free internet.

Don't bid to high! Ever!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel . We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your comments about the guestroom will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.

NoVa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I expressed my opinion during my stay & upon check out -- but, here is my quick rundown.

I stayed at this hotel b/c it was convenient to the event I was attending in Skokie.

Pros: Spacious Room; Courteous Front Desk Staff; Decent Bar/Restaurant Downstairs.

Cons: Noisy at times; Loud Heater/AC Unit (b/c it's an older unit); Slow (& stinky) Elevator; Priority Club Late Check Out Miscommunication.

About the Noise:

Because of the Decent Bar/Restaurant Downstairs -- It was super noisy in my room because they were hosting Fight Night. If there is ever an event in Bar Louie & you're expecting a good night's sleep -- ask to get a room away the surrounding areas of the bar. I was ok w/ it -- since I was out & about. It just surprised me, when I returned to my room after being out and the walls were shaking.

About the Priority Club Late Check Out Miscommunication:

I called the Front Desk staff to ask for Late Check Out -- which they said I could (b/c it was available) at 2 pm on my day of departure.

However, on the day of my departure, I received a knock on the door by housekeeping -- EVEN THOUGH, I had the "Relax/Stay" tag in my door slot -- at: 12:00 pm to ask when I would be checking out.

At that time, I advised her that I was having late check out at 2 pm -- and that I had confirmed that w/ the Front Desk early in the morning (about 1 am).

At 1:00 pm, I got a call -- asking me what time I was checking out by some staff member named, Nancy. I expressed my frustration & confusion to her at the time -- since I had checked this out w/ the Front Desk staff earlier, so I was not understanding all of the confusion w/ my late check out. She scolded me & told me that had I checked w/ the Front Desk -- that there would've been a note. I advised that I had -- and that I had never been treated like this -- at ANY hotel I had ever stayed at. I don't usually ask to check out late -- but, my schedule that day needed a late check out.

When I checked out -- by 2 pm, as requested & planned, I did voice my complaint with the Front Desk staff. I was given an apology by the personnel that checked me out o' my room & a bottle of water from Elizabeth -- for my troubles.

This is the main reason I would not return to this location. Otherwise, it is convenient to all things Skokie, including the highway to get you back to Chicago & the airports. I don't even mind that the hotel is older! But, based on noise & miscommunication w/ the Housekeeping staff, along w/ the Front Desk... not respecting my privacy & requests for relaxation & late check out... this equals a non-return. There are many other choices out there!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I'm happy you like the hotel and location. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of our hotel services and noise issues. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I do hope you can give us another chance and stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

Jamal Masoud
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a motel converted in to a hotel and is outdated. There was hardly any parking spots for guest, even for a priority club member. The furniture in the lobby is old and faded, as checking in I had to go back out to my car to put car permit for your car not to get towed. Really? that's just another revenue for the hotel, pathetic! i than proceeded to my room which i wasn't even upgraded for the price i paid, My room was small and smelled like smoke, i spoke to the manager Elizabeth Cedeno and told me she can sent the maintenance to spray air fresher. At that point i knew this was going to be a bad stay. At the restaurant the waitress was not polite and messed up my order, which i did get a nice discount. Luckily i was only staying for two days and i am never coming to this hotel, it is over priced. I will be staying at the Double Tree by Hilton up the road for half the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay and for being one of our Priority Club members. Iam sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of our hotel services, facilities and especially the room accommodations received. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Jamal Masoud
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!