“Clean, Comfortable and Reasonable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)

You added Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5300 West Touhy Ave, Skokie, IL 60077   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Skokie
Minneapolis
“Clean, Comfortable and Reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

While the hotel is hardly luxurious, the staff is very friendly and helpful and our room was clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Holidome section, close to the pool for our kids (which the kids liked very much). At the price we booked for on Priceline, our stay was definitely a bargain.

I would avoid the exterior rooms if possible. I also wish that the pool stayed open a bit later than 9 pm, which would have given our kids more time to swim at the end of the day.

I would prefer to stay in the city when visiting Chicago, but if we were to book a stay again in the Skokie area I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

I stayed here on business. It seemed nice enough when I walked in the lobby and the staff were friendly and helpful.

My room was not ready at 5pm and wouldn't be ready until 6.30pm. I gave up a king bed for a double in order to get into a room right away. My room was in the "outside" section. It was right next to the dumpster.

My door wouldn't open despite the light turning green when I inserted the card. I had one of the front desk staff come back to the room with me to show me what I was doing wrong. Silly me! You simply have to try 3 or 4 times, lifting the door handle UP instead of turning it down, while bodychecking the door over and over again. I had to hit the door so hard that the entire wall shook.

The room itself was fine -- nothing special... It was clean for the most part, so that's what mattered to me. I was only staying one night so I was not terribly fussy. The bathtub drain plug did not work properly. To drain the tub, one needs to lean over and hold it. The iron was missing, however the front desk sent one up right away when I called. The toilet paper roll was too big for the fixture so I had to forcibly turn it with two hands. The toilet seat had cigarette burns on it.

To sum things up, I wouldn't stay here again. I wasn't upset by my experience -- in fact I was amused by it -- but with so many other choices, there's no reason to return.

Eric Wittkopp

• Liked — It made me laugh
  • Disliked — Difficulty in opening my door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Initially I had a great deal of trepidation after seeing so many negative reviews for this hotel. I committed the sin of booking before checking. As it turned out, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I am not sure if it was because I was a Priority Club member; however, I was place in the Tower wing and couldn’t have been more pleased. The rates were GREAT (best in the area), the parking was FREE, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was great (just as shown in the photos). The new Indian restaurant in the hotel was good and there is a great breakfast restaurant right next store. It was a bit too cold to use the indoor pool (it was only 3 degrees outside), but the pool seemed quite fine.

I suspect the other folks that were not happy with their stay were placed in another part of the hotel -- I would ask for the Tower section.

• Liked — Price, staff, and room.
  • Disliked — Nothing -- fully met my needs
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Web pics of the hotel looked good, and I was happy to step into a very nice lobby redone with rich chairs and marble tile. This fancification of the lobby explains the $175+ rates, despite the 12 Mile heavily congested commute to Chicago.

Then, the booking realities. Though I was a party of just 1, I was told that a single bed would be a costly upgrade. Another $20 if I wanted an 'inside' room. Rooms open to a newly tiled outdoor hallway, though there's plenty of stains and dirt so be sure to bring sandals if you want to get to the pool.

Speaking of which, the pool/hot tub close at 10pm, and I was marched out of the hot tub rudely by a 'gentleman' in a thick black mustache, even though there wasn't a soul around..when I returned in the morning, there were 4 men chanting in a prayer circle in the hot tub, see pic attached.

The WIFI is slower then dialup, even with an excellent signal I never saw more than 0.42% network utilization, forget downloads, video. Perhaps the property wants to encourage purchase of in-room movies, while making it...impossible...for...the...business...traveler...to...work...online.

The free breakfast served at Days Inn would cost $14 if single servings were bought from the Holiday's breakfast menu.

Beds are somewhat hard. Huge families from around the world were staying at this property, with packs of children screaming and running everywhere.

Not a romantic place, not for business travelers, not for me ever.

• Liked — Front Lobby was inviting, almost majestic for a Holiday Inn
  • Disliked — Gruff staff, dirt, prayer in the pool, screaming kids, traffic-congested distance from Chicago.
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

The Holiday Inn Chicago-Skokie North Shore has to be the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in! Note: I spend over 100 nights per year in hotels...and this was the worst!

The room was located in the "Hollidome" area with interior facing rooms. Yes, my room had only a window facing the dark, dingy interior hallway. No natural light, no fresh air, no chance of even opening the curtains due to a total lack of privacy.

The room airconditiner did not cool the room....not even close. It was so hot (and very smelly) in my room that I had to take a shower just before bed in the hopes of cooling my body down to sleep.

A phone call AND a visit to the front desk to complain had no results. They just shrugged. As I mentioned earlier, I practically live in hotels so I've experienced a lot but this is without a doubt the worst.

The towels were thread-bare, the ironing board disgusting, the bathroom floor sticky.

Please see my photos...

• Liked — Leaving it in the morning.
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

My wife (fiance at the time) and I contracted with the sales department of the Holiday Inn North Shore (Skokie) to have our guests stay there during our wedding. It was horrible!

My in-laws came a week early to help with the final preparations, and during the first 4 nights of their stay, they had issues every night. The first room they were checked into had a non-functioning AC unit. They later found out that the previous occupants had reported that fact, but were still placed in the room. The second room had no towels, and while the staff quickly replaced them, they were again missing the following day. Apparently whoever cleaned the room didn't feel it necessary to bring new towels. The third night, they were rudely awakened by a malfunctioning AC unit that made a high-pitched squeal, and when they called the front desk, they were told to "just wait it out. It will stop soon." Luckily it did...until the following night, when it started up again, and didn't stop. They were moved to another room at 2 in the morning.

At this point, they let me know about the situation, because they were afraid that all the incoming guests for the wedding would be subjected to similar situations. I called our sales rep and asked about the situation. He downplayed the seriousness of it, and tried to play me like it was 'no big deal.' He lacked any sense of sympathy, or even good customer service. Finally, I convinced him that if anything else happened, we would demand a 50% rate reduction, or we would take our business elsewhere. He relented and promised that nothing else would happen.

Well, the next morning, my in-laws woke to find that the hot water for the building wasn't working. They were forced to take cold showers along with a few other guests from our group who had arrived.

I was afraid that I would be spending the weekend apologizing to our out-of-town guests for the crappy hotel, and began to look for other last-minute hotel arrangements. Luckily there were no other incidents with our guests, and we didn't have to break our contract.

Pros: Relatively cheap compared to other hotels in the area. Nice swim area for kids. Friendly front desk. Good breakfast buffet (at $10/person).

Cons: Poor service. Aging, poorly maintained facility with no concern for guests' comfort. No urgency in fixing problems. Lack of communication between staff that leads to putting guests in sub-par rooms.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Altamonte Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

I must say that I was a bit leery about staying at this property, after reading some of the other reviews! Several members of our extended family stayed here while attending family functions in Skokie/north Chicago. While the property is showing some signs of age, it is clean and well-kept, with a friendly, attentive staff. The
front-desk personnel took a liking to my "active" 8-year-old son, and
looked after him as best they could. The pleasant housekeepers expeditiously brought us more towels, and checked in on an elderly aunt who was not feeling well. A maintenance man promptly and pleasantly responded to our room to repair a slow-running sink drain.

We were in an inside room facing the swimming pool (also inside), and
the noise does carry. I was concerned that the noise level would remain high all through the night, but a front-desk clerk reassured me that the pool area is secured promptly at 11:00 PM, and the area quiets down immediately; she was correct! Supposedly, the pool is heated, but my two sons were out of the cold water within minutes; I overheard another guest remark that the heater was broken.

Our culminating family banquet at the hotel was quite nice, and the food was tasty. While I did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, there is a Greek diner adjacent to the hotel that I highly recommend!!

In summary, by Holiday Inn standards, we had a pleasant stay. Unfortunately, I believe that many Holiday Inn properties have seen their heydays, and seem to be stuck in the 1970's, having been surpassed by the mid-priced, more modern Hilton brands.

• Liked — friendly, attentive staff; an overall clean property with comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — facility is showing its age; cold water in indoor swimming pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!