“Could've been better!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5300 West Touhy Ave, Skokie, IL 60077   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Skokie
NoVa
“Could've been better!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I expressed my opinion during my stay & upon check out -- but, here is my quick rundown.

I stayed at this hotel b/c it was convenient to the event I was attending in Skokie.

Pros: Spacious Room; Courteous Front Desk Staff; Decent Bar/Restaurant Downstairs.

Cons: Noisy at times; Loud Heater/AC Unit (b/c it's an older unit); Slow (& stinky) Elevator; Priority Club Late Check Out Miscommunication.

About the Noise:

Because of the Decent Bar/Restaurant Downstairs -- It was super noisy in my room because they were hosting Fight Night. If there is ever an event in Bar Louie & you're expecting a good night's sleep -- ask to get a room away the surrounding areas of the bar. I was ok w/ it -- since I was out & about. It just surprised me, when I returned to my room after being out and the walls were shaking.

About the Priority Club Late Check Out Miscommunication:

I called the Front Desk staff to ask for Late Check Out -- which they said I could (b/c it was available) at 2 pm on my day of departure.

However, on the day of my departure, I received a knock on the door by housekeeping -- EVEN THOUGH, I had the "Relax/Stay" tag in my door slot -- at: 12:00 pm to ask when I would be checking out.

At that time, I advised her that I was having late check out at 2 pm -- and that I had confirmed that w/ the Front Desk early in the morning (about 1 am).

At 1:00 pm, I got a call -- asking me what time I was checking out by some staff member named, Nancy. I expressed my frustration & confusion to her at the time -- since I had checked this out w/ the Front Desk staff earlier, so I was not understanding all of the confusion w/ my late check out. She scolded me & told me that had I checked w/ the Front Desk -- that there would've been a note. I advised that I had -- and that I had never been treated like this -- at ANY hotel I had ever stayed at. I don't usually ask to check out late -- but, my schedule that day needed a late check out.

When I checked out -- by 2 pm, as requested & planned, I did voice my complaint with the Front Desk staff. I was given an apology by the personnel that checked me out o' my room & a bottle of water from Elizabeth -- for my troubles.

This is the main reason I would not return to this location. Otherwise, it is convenient to all things Skokie, including the highway to get you back to Chicago & the airports. I don't even mind that the hotel is older! But, based on noise & miscommunication w/ the Housekeeping staff, along w/ the Front Desk... not respecting my privacy & requests for relaxation & late check out... this equals a non-return. There are many other choices out there!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I'm happy you like the hotel and location. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of our hotel services and noise issues. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I do hope you can give us another chance and stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a motel converted in to a hotel and is outdated. There was hardly any parking spots for guest, even for a priority club member. The furniture in the lobby is old and faded, as checking in I had to go back out to my car to put car permit for your car not to get towed. Really? that's just another revenue for the hotel, pathetic! i than proceeded to my room which i wasn't even upgraded for the price i paid, My room was small and smelled like smoke, i spoke to the manager Elizabeth Cedeno and told me she can sent the maintenance to spray air fresher. At that point i knew this was going to be a bad stay. At the restaurant the waitress was not polite and messed up my order, which i did get a nice discount. Luckily i was only staying for two days and i am never coming to this hotel, it is over priced. I will be staying at the Double Tree by Hilton up the road for half the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay and for being one of our Priority Club members. Iam sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of our hotel services, facilities and especially the room accommodations received. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

While I understand your stay was not 100% as it should have been. I do hope you can stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore

Travelers are raving about these Skokie hotels

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Although the hotel is a convenient location to my home office, I still would recommend it highly
Whether your stay is for a few days or for several weeks as in my case. The rooms are clean and the food is good.
But what I would really like emphasize is the hotel Staff, such pleasantry it is really nice to be greeted and acknowledged
Seeing Linda’s smile in the morning is just the beginning, I wish to thank Paula and Jennifer for being so kind and friendly in the Morning.
While I am having Breakfast, But if there is anyone you should get to know it would be Elizabeth Cedeno
Her knowledge and resourcefulness is great, I am glad to have met her, also Yasenia.
This is only a few of them that made my stay very pleasant; I look forward to my next visit.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Adam U, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your very kind words. We pride ourselves here on our customer service, and we are so happy our staff went above and beyond to make you feel at home. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Morton Grove, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have hosted 2 wedding events at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore Skokie, and both times we had a great experience because the staff and the service at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore Skokie were simply great! The staff is very nice, focused on pleasing the guest. I would recommend everyone to not only to stay at the hotel, but also host their events at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore Skokie. It is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are great, and the atmosphere is also great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Adam U, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review, and for hosting your events here at the Holiday Inn Skokie. We appreciate your business and look forward to hosting more events in the future.

Best Regards,

San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This looks like an old motel turned in to a hotel. The rooms are gross. Dirty, old and in 2 of our 4 rooms, there was mold. Additionally, there was a plate in the hall when we arrived that wasn't picked up for over 12 hours and subsequently was covered with ants. We complained and spoke to the Manager, Elizabeth, who was not very helpful since we booked 2 nights on priceline. She made us feel like 2nd class citizens because of it so we forfeited the 2nd night and just said 'adios, disgusting hotel' and spent the extra money to move to the Allerton on the Miracle Mile. Highly recommend you do NOT stay at this hotel, even if your desperate. Sleeping in our car would have been more satisfying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jamal M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I apologize in behalf of the hotel and I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience with your recent stay. Please allow me the chance to address this with you further. Please contact me at your leisure so I can learn more about your experience. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Holiday Inn North Shore, Skokie
jmasoud@lakhanihospitality.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Holidsy Inn Skokie not by choice but after a series of misfortunate incidents . Including a canceled cruise due to sudden illness and the entire City of Chicago being out of affordable rooms from Tuesday -Thursday. Once we had to cancel the cruise we opted for a lower key vacation just a few hundreds miles from our home in Saint Louis. Always the bargin hunter I usually wait to book my hotel rooms until a few days before the vacation so I can get the best rooms at the lowest prices . This plan is usually a goldmine ...not so much this time . We were in Chicago from Monday -Thursday . We were able to book only one night , Monday night, in a 4 star hotel in the city for around $100. This hotel was a nightmare . The 4 star room we purchased was the size of a youth hostel room, the bed was only a full sized bed .... For two people ... Not my idea of 4 star. The Internet was $10 a day, I had absolutely no phone signal and parking was another $50 a day, and there were few amenties. After our night there I was ecastatic to leave but nervous because my next hotel was booked 10 miles out of the city in Skokie and only had a three star rating. Boy was I wrong to be nervous . When I arrived at the Holiday Inn the staff was a hundred times more pleasant , the parking and internt were free , and I hit their amazin hot tub ten mins after checking in. Bar Louie was a much more pleasant and more affordable atmosphere . Last years vacation was spent at in all inclusive in Cancun and was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had . After spending an hour at the Holiday Inn hot tub and bar area , I referred to it has Little Cancun the rest of the trip. The rooms were clean and spacious and the atmosphere was very chill. You are right off the highway and just a short drive back to the city. This place is great place to stay and relax without the city price and having to give up all the extra amenities . Next time I'm in Chicago I'll be staying at little Cancun again .

Stayed October 2012
Adam U, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, and for staying with us! I am very happy to hear we were able to help make your stay in Chicago an enjoyable one. We strive to give our guests the exact kind of experience you have described. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Human Resources
Grand Blanc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked a single king room at this hotel. The price was very competitive with other hotels in the area and actually alot cheaper than some. We were greeted quickly and pleasantly at the front desk and imediately assigned a room. The room was on the 3rd floor. The room was nicely appointed with a king bed, two firmnesses of pillows, a small sofa and table along with a nice desk area. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. The hotel is showing signs of wear and tear but still offers a clean well furnished room for money. A nice perk was that there is special parking spaces near the front door reserved for Priority Club memebers. This was especially helpful later when the parking lot filled up with. The only problem we had was connecting to their WI-FI network. The instructions in the room indicate that it's just a click and connect to get on the wi-fi. We could not connect and when I called the front desk they gave me a long password to use that would not fit the password area. When I called th desk back to advise them of the problem they refered me to a Wisconsin number for tech help. After spending 15 minutes on hold, I tried the 888 number on the instruction card in the room and after waiting another 10 mins I reached their tech support people for the internet. It still took them another 10 mins to figure out the problem with the hotel system so that I could log-in.
The beadfast buffet in the morning was nice, nothing fantastic but it had the essentials of eggs, sausage, toast, potatoes etc..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay and for being one of our Priority Club members. I apologize for the issues you had connecting to the WIFI. It definitely should not have taken you so long to connect, and we will make sure it is addressed. We appreciate all your kind words and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Human Resources
Holiday Inn Skokie

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!