“Other guest in our suite.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Silverleaf Fox River Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sheridan
Silverleaf Fox River Resort
You added Silverleaf Fox River Resort to your Saves list
2558 N 3653 Road, Sheridan, IL 60551   |
Corona, California
“Other guest in our suite.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

.The first day we arrived at the resort we were greeted by a staff of teenagers who were courteous but did not have the knowledge of dealing with guest from different resorts. Shortly after getting settled we had a group above us that was very noises, no fault of the staff. Soon after we were greeted by another invader "roaches." We contacted the staff and they did not seem surprised however, they asked if we wanted to move to another room. I don't think it would have mattered because, it would have been more of the same. Overall the suite was in need of a makeover, the cabinets, walls, flooring and decor needed a serious makeover. It is also very difficult to get to the resort due to it being in the middle of Illinois, You need to travel down several one lane highways. Overall, I would not stay or recommend this resort to anyone unless it had a serous makeover. I was pleased because this resort did put an emphasis on marketing we did not get approached by staff members about buying another time share or additional weeks.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We went to Fox River Resort for a week starting July 29, 2011. Knowing Silverleaf's not so stirling reputation, I wasn't expecting too much. I did get a little more than expected. FRR is located in the middle of almost nowhere. There is shopping/restaurants within 12 highway miles. CHicago is about 70 minutes away. We had 3 children ages 9,11,13, who didn't want to make the trek to chicago. We did go see a whitesox/redsox game however. Easy ride into Chicago. The Resort itself does offer many activities. They do offer a variety of tournaments from Volleyball to Chess, but we found no one signed up. They have a five hole 3 par golf course with free club rental (even tho there was a sign saying a $20 rental fee), you do have to put down a $50 insurance fee, which they return to you. Of course you can always bring your own clubs. They have horseback riding. $15 each rider, for 45 minutes. You have to sign up in the morning of the day you want to ride. We have 5 in our family and they only had 4 horses, so we never did use this activity. They have 18 hole mini golf, tennis, volleyball, shuffleboard, horse shoes, large indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and loads of board games, all complimentary. They also have an arcade, and pool tables for pay per use in the activity center.

The room itself was in one of the older buildings, but it did look like it had some updating done. The beds were comfortable, and sheets clean. Lots of towels. The rug was stained. The room had an odor, which we attribute to animals. There was three televisions, which were needed since there wasn't a lot of sight seeing opportunities.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed in a Presidential 2 bedroom condo, 3rd floor. The unit was very nice, with plenty of room for our family of five. We especially enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in the master bath and the little deck off the living room. The washer and dryer in unit were convenient so we could pack less. There was plenty of room to eat also, with six chairs at the table and three stools at the counter. The unit was clean and comfortable.
The resort is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but there were so many activities it was ideal for a relaxing week spent together as a family. We enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pools, mini golf, canoes, fishing and five hole golf course many times - all of which were FREE! We also loved the horseback riding, which was really affordable at only $15 per person for a 45 minute trail ride through the woods.
We took the train from Aurora into Chicago for a day trip. The kids loved the train ride, and the water taxis we took to Navy Pier. A nice full day outing.
We also went to Starved Rock State Park (only a short drive from the resort) and hiked a little and took a scenic boat tour on the river there.
All in all, it was an enjoyable week at a nice resort. Not the fanciest, but plenty to do for all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We booked here so we could attend a conference in Chicago for the first part of the week. The resort is pristine and beautifully kept. You are truly in the open space where it is quiet and reflective. Every evening and morning we sat on our balcony and watched groups of deer come out of the woods to play with one another. We were in the Presidential with two bedrooms and it was very clean, with modern amenities and a fully stocked kitchen. There are grocery stores in both directions of the resort but you have to drive a distance to get there so a car is not an option. The activity center makes a number of meals for purchase and the food is pretty good. There is wifi in the common area with places to check out games, play sports, arcade, rent movies, etc. The resort is in a small town where it says there is a Norwegian settlement but I didn't see anything obvious about where this settlement was and what to look for. The website says the resort is an hour away from Chicago and we were prepared to get up early to make the trek the first few days but it turned out to be a nightmare. The traffic is amazing all day long. It actually took 2.5 hours to get into Chicago but the city was pretty easy to navigate once you're in. Overall, the resort is beautiful and I would go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lima, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

if ur coming in on an rci trade they put you in the run down lodges. the paint is peeling in the bathrooms, the cupboards are all scuffed up.they dont clean the units very well, theirs spider webs in every corner just about. the flies are bothersome. they have a major bee problem by the entrance of the outdoor pool but they dont do anything about it. these bees are big too. the furniture is very uncomfortable, small kitchen and i mean small. you only get 16 tv channels and 4 of them are espn channels, no fox channel and the recption is very awful. the put putt golf is old and worn out. it is noisy, you can hear your neighbors sometimes. the video games are all very old and most of them dont work at all. the movie rentals are 4.99 a night and no new releases. all old movies nobody want to see anymore. no wi-fi except in the activity center, none in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sheridan hotels

Port Washington, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

We arrived at 7pm on Saturday night, the staff was friendly, but the girl that checked us in seemed a little "lost". We arrived in our room and I did the quick "once over" and discovered a wad of poop on the baseboard in the large bathroom, with strands of hair hanging off of it. I appeared to me that the floor was mopped and the remnants was pushed against the baseboard. It was quite disgusting and I called the office immediately. I was informed that housekeeping was gone for the day, but they would be there in the morning to clean it. I informed them we would be out for the day, and they asked if I gave permission to have them enter when we were gone. Obviously, yes!

We went to Ottawa Sunday morning to have breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. YUMMY! Great food, good portions and not too expensive. We checked the weather and knew this would be one of maybe 3 days of sunshine/warmth while we were here so we decided to continue driving another 20 minutes to Starved Rock Park. Beautiful! My children loved the hiking and exploring, and were mezmerized by the waterfalls! It was a spectacular first day, then we returned to the resort. We were greeted by the sight of the "poop" yet again. It was 6pm and I called the office to inquire what happened? I was told "sorry" they will be there in the morning. I said "sorry" doesn't help, why wasn't it cleaned. The manager had no response, but to say it would be taken care of tomorrow.

Monday was spent in the Activity Center playing board games, and pool, and enjoying lunch at their little grill. We had a lot of quality family time for sure. My husband braved the wind and mist and played a little golf while I took the kids to the pool. He enjoyed the little 5 hole course. We left the pool when they had one of their many "adult swim" 1/2 hour sessions. We drove to the Norway general store and grabbed some groceries, and returned to the resort about 5:30pm. Guess what was there?!! Yes, the POOP! Ok, now I am furious. I called the front desk, and of course, there was NO manager on duty and the girl explained that housekeeping had come to our room to fix our leaking kitchen sink? WHAT???? I explained as nice as I could that we did not have a leaking sink, we had a crap problem! She stated she was "sorry". I said that isn't good enough, someone needs to come here now and clean this up. She said again housekeeping was gone. I explained to her to find some gloves and soapy water and come clean it herself then. She hung up on me. Not funny! I called back and asked for managers names. I was informed that they would be in around 9am and to call back then.

I started called at 8:45 Tuesday morning, and was connected to the RCI manager Wendy. She explained to me that we weren't even supposed to have been in the lodge rooms, that RCI members are to be placed in the Presidential rooms up on the hill with the fireplaces, etc. She appologized for the lack of housekeeping and said she would have someone there immediately to clean this, and there was! She even had a gift bag sent to our room with some goodies for the kids. We also found out from Wendy that we were supposed to have received a coupon book and additional information upon check in since we were with RCI that we never received. We had been entitled to 2 free movie rentals a night, discounts at the Grill, money off at the gift shop, etc... This was on day 4 that we received what we should have been given on day 1, and our money had already been spent in the gift shop, and countless trips to the movie rental and Grill had already been made. If this vacation had been started out properly with the correct room given and proper information received, it would have been a lot better on our end, and why I am giving it such a low "score".

The other "gripe" I have is that the rooms are very noisy! We were on the 2nd floor of a lodge unit and we could hear all the traffic on the stairs outside, the floor "stomping" noise all night from above, and the laughter/yelling from the unit below. This resort allows dogs, which isn't a bad thing as long as the visitors abide by all the rules, which we also had a problem with. The unit above us had 3 HUGE pitbulls in it. It sounded like thunder when they ran across the floor. We were woken up several nights in a row about 3am when they had to go "out". Their master was SCREAMING get down, No, No, stop it! This was so bad on Thursday night it woke my kids up and they were crying from how loud this man was screaming, it sounded like he was in our unit! I tried called the office... no answer! I walked outside to see if I could see anything, and I was greeted by a pitbull! It stood there growling at me! No leash, no owner... I almost fainted in fear! This lady finally came down the stairs and took the dog back up, they must have just let these dogs run free to potty and had no concern for anyone else in the area. I went to the office Friday morning to inform them we were checking out a day early, because of what happened the previous few nights, and the pitbull encounter that early morning. I was informed that these guests had not even checked in their dogs and that security was on their way to investigate/resolve that issue. I explained that I had had enough, and was ready to go home.

I don't want to only focus on the negatives here, so in addition to Starved Rock being awesome, The pool was very warm, about 84 degrees, the miniature golf course was perfect for my 8 year olds, the pond was fun to fish in, the tennis/basketball courts were in great shape with all equipment needed to have fun as well. The woman who ran the children's group actitivies in the Activity Center was awesome! She was fun to watch, and the kids loved her! The "movie theater" actually had theater seats, with about a 55" TV for the screen. Was perfect to relax and enjoy a flick with the kiddos! The horseback riding was not open yet, was too early in the season, and the weather wasn't cooperating for a lot of outdoor activity at the resort, but the property is huge, and beautiful! The location is about 1-1/2 hours from Chicago. We spend the entire day Thursday there! We visited the Shed Aquarium (eat and drink BEFORE you go there there save $$$) and my son and husband wanted to see the ball parks, so we let the GPS lead us to Wrigley Field and the United Center. We will try to visit this resort again in the future, because if things had started our properly, it would have been a great stay instead of a poor one!

Room Tip: Get there right when check in begins, no later!!!!