“In desperate need of updating” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Schiller Park
West Lafayette, Indiana
“In desperate need of updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm not the type who needs a lot of amenities, but this hotel really needs some investment. Furnishings, wall decor, bedding, bathroom fixtures, door handles - everything is old, tired-looking, and/or functionally challenged. The price is low, but it doesn't feel like a savings, as the place feels cheap. And be sure to request a high floor if you're there on a weekend. This place seems to be a mecca for wedding receptions, and even on the 4th floor we could hear booming music from the bar...

A decent hot breakfast was the only silver lining. Otherwise, there's very little to recommend this hotel (at least until management decides it's time to bring it up to date).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tim M, General Manager at Comfort Suites O'Hare, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I understand that The Comfort Suites O'Hare is due for upgrades. We have been discussing these same issues and expect to be moving forward with up grades in the near future. Again thank you for your comments.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Paying the same value than an average hotel room you get a two room suite. I was suspicious and ready to find old furniture, bad towels or poor service. Me and my business team got comfortable suites, a good meeting room, nice breakfast, everything for a more than a reasonable cost. My only complains are about LOW broadband internet speed and OLD TV sets in the rooms. Even a broken elevator was fixed the same day, which speaks high of the management of the hotel. Great place near the airport to hold business meetings.

Room Tip: Get the high floor rooms. 2nd floor can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

First off, this hotel is somewhat near O'Hare but also in the middle of nowhere. There are a few restaurants in the area though and is driving distance from suburban style shopping centers. The check in experience was rather unfriendly. The room was ok. I appreciated the fridge and microwave, but there was also some peeling wallpaper and a leftover receipt that was not retrieved by housekeeping after the previous hotel guests. TVs in the room were not flat screen, and one of the TVs had a non-functioning remote control. The breakfast was the same good quality as at other Comfort Suites I've been too. The gym had an adequate variety of machines.

The absolute worst part of the stay was the inconsistency of the hotel shuttle. The first time I needed the shuttle to take me from the hotel to the Rosemont CTA station, I waited for 30 minutes for the shuttle to return to the hotel, but the manager said the shuttle had been out for at least 45 minutes and was trying to get the driver to return to the hotel.

The last time I needed the shuttle to bring me from Rosemont station to the hotel, I waited 45 minutes for the shuttle despite calling them a few minutes before arriving. I had to call the hotel multiple times and when I expressed my frustrations about the inefficiency of the shuttle, the front desk person did not try to resolve the issue and instead started yelling at me about how the hotel was short staffed. In the end, I took a taxi back to the hotel, and when I got back, I overheard the front desk on the phone with someone else who was going to take a taxi instead because of the delayed shuttle. I like Comfort Suites, but I would not recommend this hotel again despite the reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tim M, General Manager at Comfort Suites O'Hare, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give use your feed back. The hotel has started a complete preventive maintenance review with an emphasis on the items you have addressed in the rooms.
I do apologize for the wait for the shuttle. We try our best to accomodate all of our guests as quickly as possible. During your stay we may have experienced a high volume of travelers from the airport, conference center, and the train stop. We will continue to provide our best service and take care of our guests when they are staying with us. Your comments will help us to improve. Again thank you and we hope to be of service to you in the future.
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had business in the Chicago area. This hotel was very reasonably priced. When i called to ask about the best airport transportation they provided a shuttle, free of charge. When we asked about a conference room, they were very helpful and likewise provided free of charge and set us up with ice cold water. When i needed a taxi, they called and one came quickly. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kingsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I were booking a trip to Chicago for our 5th anniversary. We wanted to stay downtown but with the marathon nearly all of the rooms were booked and there were no discount deals on any site.
We talked about getting a hotel near the airport and taking the train into the city each day.
We looked at a bunch of hotels and settled on the Comfort Suites due to the rate, the rooms, the shuttle services and the free "hot" breakfast, not just a continental breakfast.
The reservation process was not a problem booked everything online and were looking forward to our first time in the Windy City,
We didn't know what to expect with the hotel as there were reviews ranging from terrific to dreadful all during the same time period
We hoped for the best and were not disappointed. We had an early flight and when I inquired with the front desk about storing our luggage until the room was available, the staff was polite and advised that if our room was ready when we arrived, we could check in early.
We landed at the airport and called the shuttle service. We were told to go to the Bus and Shuttle pick up area, door 3 and the driver would pick us up. He was there within 20 minutes and was very polite and friendly. Our room was ready and we were able to check in early. The room was a very good size and we were both surprised at how nice it was.
We then took the shuttle to the Rosemont Blue line station and ventured into the City. The ride is approx 30 - 40 minutes and it was worth prepurchasing the CTA unlimited travel card as we used it on all trains in the city as well as buses. It costs $2.25 each trip and we bought a 1day and a 3 day pass for under $20 each and it was money well spent.
We stayed 4 days and each time coming back from the city we took the train back to O'hare, we called the shuttle service and the longest we ever waited was maybe 25 minutes.
Each morning we had a good breakfast. There were many items to choose from: Cold and hot cereals, Belgian waffles (Blueberry and regular) Coffee, juice and milk, fruit, sausage patties and scrambled eggs. ( I liked the sausages but not the eggs, my wife was the opposite) There were pastries and muffins, toast, bagels, english muffins, yogourt and hard boiled eggs. A good start to the day.
On our last day our flight did not leave until after check out time, we wanted to go back in to the City but didn't want to worry about our luggage. The front desk staff was accomodating again and we were able to store our bags in a secure office at the hotel. When we were ready to leave the shuttle drove us directly to our Terminal.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Suites, the bed, however was not as comfortable as I would have liked but that was more my preference not the fault of the hotel. I would really recommend this to any traveller. The price was right, and the extras with the breakfast and shuttle service made it even more of a deal. One thing I should mention is that each night we stayed, there was a reception of some kind in the lounge off of the lobby. The music could be heard in our room on the 2nd floor which is actually the 3rd floor of the hotel. If I was going back and if I was, I would stay here again. I would request a room on a higher floor. The party was over by midnight and it didn't keep my from sleeping anyways, but it is something to let other travellers be aware of.
Again, we really enjoyed our stay here and do recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the higher floor to avoid the potential disturbance of reception music f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our 3rd stay in the hotel, due to its excellent location fr late night arrivals or early dawn departures at O'hare airport. Price is good, Free wifi, breakfast, parking. Contacts with front desk always seem to be unpleasant, for a variety of reasons. Free shuttle bus service upon arrival at airport or at arrival at subway station is slow - everytime one calls and asks for it, one has to wait about 50 minutes till it will come (probably hotel has only one vehicle and its driver not always available).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The price was right and I wanted a suites hotel because we had 3 of us dudes in a room so wanted to use pullout couch in the front room....well, it would not hold the mattress as it was ripped and not been fixed so I slept on the floor for 2 nights.....also, the breakfast was not very good and the rooms are pretty beat up and need some updating......disappointing....would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Suites O'Hare? Share your experiences!