“Convenient Location” 2 of 5 stars

Omaha, Nebraska
“Convenient Location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

*Scope
concerns the rooms on the pool level as
that was our scope of experience
*Amenities
microwave, refrigerator, tv, desk, dresser, night stand, sitting chair
*Breakfast
in McKenna's restaurant at your own expense; save money and pickup some groceries just down the street at the Meijer grocery store ... Costco, Sam's Club and Walmart also close by; WestField mall to the south and many eating places nearby
*High room humidity
- my sandals always felt wet when I slipped them on each morning
- you will, however, find the main lobby area to be very comfortable
*A/C
worked fine in our room but others in our dance group were not as fortunate; also, did not remove the humidity from our room; our swimming suits would only get dry if I up'd the thermostat to 80+ degrees
*Mold
due to the high room humidity and no bathroom vents, many bath/shower ceilings had mold
*Room service
we had no issues here but others in our dance group were not so fortunate; I even called @ 11p Sun night and our towels were replaced within 15 minutes
*Mouse
the greenery around the pool was the home to a friendly mouse; our room neighbor saw a mouse in their room and was moved to another room; a few days later we saw 3 mouse glue traps positioned in the pool greenery; oh, as I write this review by the pool, the kids just screamed ... they found a dead mouse on the parrot's food tray
*Shuttle
confusing 'service' ... make sure you ask all the right questions or you will get stuck waiting and/or paying for your own ride back to the hotel
- any rides beyond 5 miles, they contract with a local cab company; arrivals and departures 'strictly' scheduled on the hour and half hour respectively
- shuttle does not run all hours ... on request only
. shuttle 'available' to run more on Fri thru Sun
. you need to schedule your departure and pickup with the hotel front desk personnel ... they in turn will contact the cab company for you
*Sports Area
- basketball, volleyball and swimming ... no extra charge
- ice hockey, dance, video games, pool table ... coin operated
- Holiday Inn Express outside pool (to the South) may also be used ... no extra charge
- weekday play hours were limited to 10p; too early for teenagers on vacation to get to bed; adults also were not allowed to stay in the sitting areas around the pool after 10p weekdays; we had to move to the front lobby to socialize
. time was extended to 11p only on Sat night
. exercise room available 24x7 in an enclosed room ... no A/C in room provided for a good sweat ... includes: 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, 2 cardio bikes, bottled water

• Liked — McKenna's restaurant had great food and beer
  • Disliked — Room humidity, bath ceiling mold
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

The Holiday Inn Express in Schaumburg is at the top of my list for hotels in the Chicago Area. Everything about this hotel is designed to make your stay worry-free and comfortable.

The rooms are freshly rennovated and it shows! The carpet is soft and clean, the bathroom is gorgeous and the bed is comfortable and relaxing. The furnace/ac had a lot of options and settings, so it was possible to get the temperature "just right." Usually I have trouble sleeping away from home because the temperature is off, or the room isn't dark. I didn't have any of these problems here.

The room was equipped with a beautiful desk and wired high speed internet. This hotel even provides the ethernet cable in case you forget yours.

The staff is friendly and courteous and they seem to enjoy their jobs. I checked in around midnight and the front desk clerk was upbeat and friendly. She made polite, pleasant conversation and explained to me how to get to my room, the location of the elevator and stair case closest to my room and the breakfast hours for the next day. She answered all my questions before I had to ask.

I especially enjoyed the free, hot breakfast. The hotel provides several bread choices, several cold cereal choices, an egg selection, biscuits and gravy, sausage and/or bacon, yogurt, juices, milks, coffee and hot tea. There is something on this buffet for everyone. The dining area was crowded toward the end of the breakfast service, but the staff did an excellent job of keeping the tables clean, emptying trash and restocking the food. I have paid for meals that were not as good in restaurants that were not as efficient. You will not be disappointed with the breakfast choices.

The one drawback to this hotel is its lack of a large sign out front. I had to drive past the hotel before I noticed it was there. It is actually located off a side street, instead of the street in its address. It is noticeable from the main road, but you really have to look.

• Liked — Delicious breakfast and spotless, comfortable rooms.
  • Disliked — Hard to find.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed over from Friday night until Saturday and I really wished we could have stayed longer. I could see signs of renovations outside on one side of the building, but it was very peaceful while we were there. I almost wondered if other people were even on our floor until I saw them coming out for breakfast. I don't know if all of the rooms are updated now, but the one we got was and it was BEAUTIFUL! It was the nicest, most comfortable hotel (of it's type) that I've stayed in. Everything was very clean and the bed was so big (king size -- hurray!) and comfortable. The breakfast was a nice selection but it starts at 7:00 on the weekends (6:00 weekdays) and we had somewhere to be at 7:20, which didn't give us time to sample much. Also, I apparently didn't set up our wake-up call correctly because it didn't work , and the alarm clock, which hadn't been updated with the rest of the room, didn't work either. (It kept randomly going off after I set it.) My only other complaint is that the sheer curtains open and close all the way, but the ones that actually give you some privacy didn't. In spite of these few complaints, we were so impressed that I would still give it a favorable review and would love to go back!

• Liked — The bed and the breakfast
  • Disliked — The curtains
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for our anniversary weekend. When we arrived, we were given the very first room on the first floor, sharing a room with the business center and breakfast area. I asked for another room, and i was told that NO other rooms are available. They were 75% booked. I said, sounds like you have 25% of your rooms available (being the optimist that I am ). I was not given another room.
As soon as we placed our suitcases in the room and closed the door.... HAMMERING begins directly outside our room door!!!!! LOUD HAMMERING on a Saturday afternoon 5pm! My husband went and asked to be transferred to another floor. He was told and I quote from the desk clerk, "you booked through hotwire, you will take what we give you." Finally, after much convincing... the clerk rolled her eyes and handed my husband a "Super 8" motel key and told us we could move to the third floor. Hot Dog! However, we had to take that room before we could see it (we didnt want to move all our stuff) so we had to beg her to let us see the room on the third floor first. It was great. We moved upstairs pretty much feeling like first class citizens because we booked through Hotwire. This is the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel, and I will never return. Their website should read, UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Because they are..... right outside your door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Wauconda, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

We picked up this hotel for an excellent rate on Hotwire. Yes, like previous posters mentioned, this hotel is currently undergoing renovations. I would contact them before hand to see if this still occuring during your stay.

We recevied one of the recently rennovated rooms when we checked in. It was odd when we walked to the room because all the doors on the other rooms down the hall from the elevator were cracked open. We found this odd.

The new rooms were rather impressive as they have granite on everything (nightstand tops, entertainment center top, sink.) . There was a coffee maker in the room and a fridge too.

The bed was large and comfy. It had several pillows. However, the new beds sit rather high up. It might be hard for an older person that is smaller (around 5ft) to get in and out of. I personally enjoyed it because I am 6'3".

One area that hadn't been renovated was the bathrooms. The tub in our room was rather scratched and it showed. It needed a good glazing and maybe some new caulk.

Breakfast was a bit odd. There was a good variety of food. They had muffins, waffles, cereal, eggs, and few mexican burritos (?). I wanted a diet coke to go with my breakfast and was suprised there was no soda machine on the ground floor.

• Liked — Large comfy bed.
  • Disliked — Lacked any services outside of the room.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Albans, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Chicago. Based on the hotel descriptions on both the Holiday Inn and Travelocity WEB sites we selected this property. There were issues associated with renovations, service and the description of the hotel itself.

First, the hotel is not located on Roselle Road. There's a sign for the hotel at their stated address but what's actually located at that address is a 7/11. The hotel itself is on a side street behind a small strip mall that contains the 7/11, a dry cleaner, a few other shops and a restaurant toward the rear of that commercial complex. More on this to follow.

Though it would have been nice if the Holiday Inn WEB site had advised us that updates to the property were going on, that was not the case. ALL public areas of the hotel were being worked on. Without affording extensive detail regarding this condition it would have been nice had Holiday Inn noted this activity when describing the hotel. As it was, during our stay there were not pubic areas. When we checked-in the front desk was a card table.

Even had the Holiday Inn or Travelocity WEB sites not known of the construction they SHOULD know what facilities the hotel offered. We booked the hotel as they had everything that we required including a 24-hour convenience store and a restaurant. That's simply not the case. The restaurant is NOT in the hotel but rather in the strip mall mentioned earlier. The 24-hour convenience store is in fact the 7/11 located over on Roselle Road. Dress warm if you intend to go over to either of these facilities in January.

Service was an issue. Finding no bath soap in our room on the 3rd night of our stay, we called the front desk to request a bar. We were told to come down to the desk to pick-up some soap (it should have been delivered to our room). Shortly thereafter we received a call from the front desk telling us NOT to come down as the hotel didn't HAVE any soap. It took a call to the Holiday Inn "800" number and three-way discussions with Holiday Inn corporate, the front desk and our room to produce soap. Rather silly, certainly poor service but a better outcome than having to walk over to the 7/11 for soap so that we could take a bath.

Though other things were missing from the described services (no cooked to order eggs at breakfast, no robes in the rooms, new bedding but old sheets that didn't fit), we've covered the major items here.

Lesson learned, IF you consider a Holiday Inn or use Travelocity, do some additional research before you book. Also, DON'T trust the Travelocity guarantee as, after calling Travelocity for almost 24 hours before getting someone on the line, they failed to address our issues and provide us with a room in another hotel that was not under renovation and provided the facilities that the Holiday Inn was supposed to have.

• Liked — Were attempting to upgrade the rooms (but while we were in the hotel).
  • Disliked — Poor service. Facilities not as described.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

I was attending a conference in Schaumburg for the weekend and enjoyed the military discount pricing. The staff was courteous and the complimentary breakfast was way above my expectations. I went downstairs expecting cold cereal, a bagel, and fruit so I was very pleased to find scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and a waffle maker.

The room was larger than most hotel rooms these days complete with a nice soft bed, cable TV, internet access & a coffee maker. The room was clean, and it is always great to have someone else make your bed. The hotel is nice and close to everything that I needed to be close to and there are several restaurants near by. The bath & body works soap & shampoo was a nice touch according to my fiancée who used it instead of the shampoo she brought with her. Thanks for the stay.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg? Share your experiences!