“Great value and location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“Great value and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business. Absolutely great staff and local restaurant the snuggery. Had an issue with my sink in the room. They came right up and had it fixed in minutes. Room was clean and updated. Breakfast area was nice with lots of seating. Overall great stay.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First, I'm surprised that I've never reviewed this hotel before because we have stayed here multiple times in the past 5 years. Perhaps because it's always been 'meh,' I didn't want to be a negative nelly.

We had a very nice experience the first time we were here, and because of that, we keep going back, hoping that the fair to poor experiences were the exception rather than the rule. I have put an end to our relationship based on our most recent stay and we will not stay here again.

Check in was smooth and entry into our room was a sigh. Missing from the 'desk' was a lamp. The floor lamp that should have been by the chair and was wired to the switch at the door. Without that lamp, the chair was worthless as it was way off whack for TV and in the darkest corner of a dark north-facing room. Hotel Fail. There is no excuse for this nonsense in my opinion. Every time we have stayed here, we have been told that issues we encountered were being addressed by 'new management.' I don't get this. Why would a new manager remove necessary lamps from rooms. Not buying it.

I do not like the layout of these rooms and that is something that cannot be changed. You walk into a room to an open closet behind the door, a vanity on that side and a door to the water closet on the left. The room is small to begin with, but this allows absolutely no privacy unless you're sitting on the toilet or behind the awkward curved shower curtain beneath the dining-room-appropriate ceiling fixture. I am sorry that I cannot include pictures, but didn't take any as I was certain I had rated this place before.

The bathroom's tub surround appears to be made of granite slab, and the shower soap shelves appear to have been cleaned at installation ten years ago. The corners are grungy. Overhead were obvious signs of a poorly repaired leak. We were given one tiny bar of soap. The shower head was nice, the water was hot, the tub was clean. Even though the granite was grungy, I was okay with it - until I pulled a towel to dry off. I'll be damned if there wasn't a boxelder bug on it. UGH!! At first glance, boxelders look like roaches, but they're not. How on earth this bug got into the hermetically sealed room is beyond my comprehension.

The large bar fridge and the mini-microwave were nice, clean and adequate. We didn't use the microwave, but the frig is an essential for us.

On Saturday, we left the hotel early in the morning to attend a family event. We returned, exhausted at around 2:30. We did not have maid service the previous day, but on this day, we wanted to come back and relax in the room. The housekeeping cart was still in the hallway, but it was past our door, so I didn't think a thing of it until we opened the door. Our room had not been touched in the past seven hours. Really? I walked into the hall and just looked at the housekeeper who said, "Oh, you want it cleaned today?" "Well, yeah," I replied as I dragged my weary azz back to the elevator to wait it out in the lobby. Desk clerk on duty was puzzled and we told her that our room was not cleaned. She asked if we had the DND on our door. I must really look stupid....

Anyway, shortly thereafter, we were told that our room was ready, and we returned upstairs, opened the door and were hit with a HORRIBLE chemical smell. We turned on the fan which does no good at all, as all air is recirculated. There is NO bathroom fan. But we really didn't have the energy to fight this battle. We propped the door open, put the fan on high, and hoped for the best. I did not want to repack and move. I guess that eventually the fumes dissipated or I got used to them as I slept.

I wish that just twice, we could get a good stay at this hotel. Out of five, we've had one, and that was our first one. Lesson learned.

And now, HIE's crowning achievement for our Thanksgiving visit:

A bill was slipped under our door on the morning of checkout. My husband looked at it with horror. I moseyed over and saw a bill for $451.00 FOR JULY 2011, more than a year and a half ago.

We took it to the desk, and a clerk who was somewhat amused by the error.

Yeah. Me? Coming back? Not happening. My sense of humor just isn't that good any more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Had booked two rooms online, called and asked for a room with two double beds which they didn't have - was not an issue, asked for a rollaway - was told they put the note down - working in the business I know rollaway beds are a first come first serve commodity - upon check in - the front desk girl never said "I'm sorry were out of rollaway's" - got to room to find no rollaway went to the front desk she then said "no we're out" and walked away. There was no offer for extra pillows/blankets, or anything. One of us ended up sleeping in a chair with a personal blanket. The rooms were nice, and looked fresh and up to date. Easy to get too. Staff just needs a little work on the customer service side. Felt a little like I was interrupting the girl more than checking out.

• Stayed September 2012
jfiorito77, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear SDS1706,

I apologize for the lack of service during your stay. This is a perfect example of our staff not going the extra mile. This is will be used as a good training example for the staff so we can improve and make sure our guests are taken cared of properly. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay and I hope you will still consider us in the future next time you are in the area.

Sincerely

Aventura, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located in Schaumburg, some 45 min from downtown Chicago, in a nice area close to good restaurants and a good mall..!! The premises are old and it can be seen in the room, even though they have updated furniture and tv's, the rooms were clean and looked fine.. The eating area is really small, and nothing out of the ordinary breakfasts for a Holliday inn express....

• Stayed September 2012
jfiorito77, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Mike C.,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your recent stay. We are actively updating our hotel (TV's Furniture, Lobby, etc.) but do realize that more is always needed. As we go forward we have numerous improvements planned both in 2012 and 2013. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on the hotel and we look forward to hosting you again.

Mpls, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed in a few different places in Schaumburg recently, late August, and this is the place I would recommend. Originally got a room with mildew on the tiles, but was politely and with no bother moved to another room. It was much better. It was clean, as quiet as can be, (except for the bath fan that never turned of and quietly squeeked all night). Minor things considering some of the other places I stayed. The lobby here is bright and clean. The building one of the newer, nicer looking ones. The rooms are of good size, and clean, which is more than I can say for the other hotel in Schaumburg where I stayed. The people at the desk were very courteous and businesslike as well.

Room Tip: top floor was nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Charlieeats,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Even though you were happy with your second room and I do apologize that you had to be moved in the first place. We will take some extra time when inspecting our rooms to make sure our bathrooms are cleaned well. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went for a last minute getaway With the Husband. This place has a very nice medium sized pool, a restaurant right next door and also a 7eleven right there as well. If you would need it a dry cleaner. All within a few steps. The rooms were very nice but not sound proof, not bad though. If you go to the pool stop by the 7eleven first and get a banana slushie and put a miniature bottle of Bacardi gold in it, taste just like a banana daquiri! We ate at the Snuggery and that was fun and tasty! We had breakfast in the Motel and it was very well equipped, stocked and cleaned all by a wonderfully attentive keeper named Wanna (hope I'm spelling her name right) For the mass of people there she was on top of everything , My husband spilled a whole glass of juice and BAM, she had it taken care of in seconds! Talbes were spotless as soon as they were empty. She needs a big raise. wonderful job! After that we went to the pool very clean and nice comfortable furniture. Then off to the races about 15 mins away. The rooms a little small but did not plan to spend my day in it and the pool small but nice the only thing a little bothersome was the noise but no biggie. Rooms had microwave and frig. And the store had everything. A lot packed in a small spot! Just a great little get away would definitely go again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here two weekend nights in August. First off this hotel is clean, from the lobby to elevators to hallways to most importantly the rooms. We booked what the website called a 2 double bed room, the beds were queens. This made the room seem small but no matter to us we were happy with bigger beds. Breakfast was nice, plenty to choose from and well stocked. My only complaint is that the outdoor pool is separated by only a fence from the outdoor patio of a neighboring bar. When our kids wanted to swim on a Saturday evening it seemed a little too close for comfort with the bar patrons drinking right next to them.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago - Schaumburg? Share your experiences!