“Outstanding Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg / Woodfield

You added Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg / Woodfield to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg / Woodfield
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
Grandview, Washington
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

After a terrible experience with an Embassey Suites in Phoenix, I was a little apprehensive when I saw that a conference I was arttending was scheduled here. And, after reading some of the other reviews posted here, I was wondering what type of week I would have during my stay.

I was wrong, and those other reviewers must have had some other bee in their bonnet...this was a wonderful place and I would absolutely stay there again.

Location: The hotel is in an area that seems to be a business park, so it is not terribly convenient to other attractions unless you have a car. We took an airport shuttle from O'Hare which cost $31.00 one way for two of us. The hotel provides a free shuttle to attractions within 5 miles of the hotel, which was fine for our stay. The airport is farther away.

Parking: I did not have a car, but the lot was large and free.

Check-in: Absolutely seamless. We arrived about 3:30 or so -- I showed an ID and credit card and was handed my room key cards that had already been prepared. Check-in was complete in 90 seconds. I can't recall a check-in ever being that fast anywhere I have stayed.

Building, in general: The facility was spotless. The decor featured rich colored tile and very pleasing colors. The plantings in the central courtyard, and the hanging baskets on all seven levels facing the courtyard, were well maintained. There was no clutter. The pool was located in a separate room, so the courtyard, which included the breakfast area, cafe and bar, was very quiet. Four elevators are in the courtyard. Laundry (coin-operated) is on the second floor ($1.50 per load -- so have plenty of quarters).

Room: We had a king bed. The room layout is fairly typical of what I have seen with Embassey Suites although this layout seemed to be a remodeled style with a bit different bathroom layout (small, but you don't have to climb over the toilet to get to the tub/shower). The room included a kitchen area with serving bar, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, bar sink, table, sofa, chair, end table, two phones (two lines), two flat panel TVs, computer desk in the bedroom (with high speed wireless internet or ethernet cable), vanity and counter in the bedroom (in additon to the bathroom), hairdryer, iron and ironing board. Cooling and heating were very good. There was plenty of hot water. The room was very quiet during our stay. I only heard one screaming child in the courtyard during my stay.

Meals: Embassey Suites is noted for their free breakfasts and this no exception. Their layout was well thought-out here as everything was arranged in one line, starting with your cooked-to-order eggs and progressing to oatmeal, cereals, breads, and drinks (juice, coffee & tea, soft drinks and milk). I was attending as part of a large conference and the hotel opened breakfast 1/2 hour earlier to compensate, but also added an additonal buffet line that included scrambled eggs, potatoes (or pancakes / French toast), meats and fruit. The staff was very efficient in keeping the lines stocked and tables cleared.

The in-house cafe featured New Orleans cuisine. The menu was a bit limited in some respects but of sufficient variety that I ate something different each night of my stay. Service was adequate and speed of service seemed to be dictated by which cooks were on duty (one set favored getting room service orders out first instead of those ordering in the the restaurant).

Lunches provided during my conference were great -- though those items did not appear on the cafe menu. Too bad. The bar and cafe also offer pizza.

The hotel also offers a free manager's reception from 5 to 7 PM with free drinks from a selection.

Conference area: Our group occupied the entire suite of conference rooms. The only fault I could cite here was that the restrooms were probably not of adequate size, but it still worked.

Gift Shop: There is a very nicely stocked small gift shop off the lobby carrying the requisite souveniers but also snacks, beverages, toiletries and other items at reasonable prices. By the way, buy your pop / soft drinks here since the 20 ounce bottle is $2.00 as opposed to the $2.50 in the vending machines on each floor. The staff was very courteous and helpful

Staff: With only one exception, the staff was amazing -- all were very helpful and went out of there way to make sure everyting was right. The sole exception was a young gentleman on the evening shift who was too full of himself -- thus he tended to be curt and abrupt. He also failed to record a needed wake-up call one day, so we avoided him like the plague after that and had no other problems. The staff went out of their way to meet the needs of our conference (which ran from 7 AM to 6:30 PM each day). My wife, on two occasions, heard supervisors reminding staff that we were working long hours and would be very tired, so please make life easy for us.

Maid service was exceptional and quick -- leave the room for a copuple of minutes in the morning and everything was made-up and spotless when you returned.

The only other minor disappointment with the staff was when we arrived, we asked about a place to eat. We had been traveling 9 hours and were hungry. It was another hour and a half before their cafe opened, but they gave us a sheet listing local eateries and attractions. All were were not withing what seemd to be a comfortable walking distance when we were so tired. Not having a car and not wanting to take a shuttle just to get a small bite to eat, we decided to wait. On the last night of our stay, while taking a short walk, we discovered three fast food places, a steak house, small oriental cafe and a 7-11 convenience store behind a row of trees behind the facility. It would have been nice to know that.

Shuttle: The hotel provides a free shuttle to area attractions, such as the large Woodfield Mall. The world's largest IKEA is nearby. The shuttle will also take you to the nearest commuter rail station (about 15 minutes) but you need to schedule a time. We did that, but while the shuttle was at the hotel, the driver was not available. The hotel simply loaded us up in a cab and told the driver they would sign for it. That was totally unexpected, especially since we were not in a rush. By the way, a train into Chicago costs $4.30 one way and takes about an hour.

All-in-all, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for business but my husband was also along for leisure. The hotel was very accommodating and had a great breakfast every morning with everything - even made to order omelets. We had a slight issue with plumbing in the room but they offered several solutions (fix it immediately, switch rooms, etc.) and handeled it quickly. They were deeply apologetic and nice. In addition, the maintenance person heard my husband was going to the White Sox game and gave written out detailed directions to him for the best, quickest and safest way to get to Cellular Field - Awesome service! Finally, they have a shuttle service that will take you anywhere nearby which is very helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Again, a victim of this treatment of only a King bed. This happened with hotwire and priceline once before and now I am batting 3 times in a row with hotels in California, Illinois and New York. I want to point out that the hotel parking lot was empty. I received a decent rate on priceline and was hoping for the best. No. This time instead of being lied to that the hotel was full I was told that because I booked on priceline I could only have a king bed. This is ok if there is only 2 people staying in a room but with 2 adults and 2 children over the age of 6, how do they think 4 people and sleep in one bed. I asked the front desk clerk if you are empty why can't I have 2 beds? Again it is because of booking on priceline. She only offered the double beds if I was willing to pay more money... no thanks. Luckily, this hotel had a pull out sofa which was EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE so my daughter and I slept on that and my son and husband slept in the bed. The hotel is dated, the pool is small and gross with a layer of slime floating over it. They only offered 2 breakfast passes so only 2 of us could use the breakfast for free. They had a nice workout area which we enjoyed. Overall... I am not sure I can handle using priceline or hotwire ever again. It is hotels ways of saying screw you not only are we not going to accomodate the number of guests comfortably but we will put you in the worst room in the hotel. Our room had cigarette burn holes in the couch and smelled of smoke.. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Warren, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

This Embassy Suites is definately older and could stand to be updated but is still a decent property. The lobby area is very much from the 80's with the fountain and cheap looking fake brick floor tile. The room was clean and the bed comfortable although the carpet was faded and well beyond it's prime but again was clean and stain free. The bathroom was small with a very low ceiling and again very 80's ish.

The service was fast and friendly and the breakfast was like all Embassy Suites very good and well organized.

Considering the low price paid on Priceline for this property it was a great bordering on unbelievable value.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

I will start out to say that I would stay at an Embassy Suites again only for the the reason the rooms are large and a breakfast and manager's reception are included. Other than that, this particular hotel made a very poor impression on me.

My "poor" rating of this hotel is based solely on the management's behavior and treatment of us following not only a major inconvenience, but a potential health hazard to their guests on the night we stayed at their hotel.

The employees and support staff were very friendly and accomadating. No complaints there. The hotel was clean. An absolutely beautiful 7 story atrium with a gorgeous multi-tiered fountain was the centerpiece of this hotel and made for a very nice setting. The breakfast was delicious the next morning. Our room was spacious with a private bedroom. I agree with the other review stating an update is needed. Overall, our stay was nice and if traveling with our children, we would definitely consider ES again.

However, not having water for half of your stay is not exactly what one would expect to have happen when staying at a hotel. And the fact that managment knew this when accepting our reservation made both my husband and me very unhappy.

My husband and I were on a romantic getaway for a few days and chose this hotel near the Woodfield Mall area. It is one of many hotels in the near vicinity. The prices and ratings were all comparitive so we chose ES for the amemities: fitness center, pool, manager's reception and breakfast included. We made our reservation for a Tuesday night by calling the hotel directly that morning. Because we were on a romantic getaway, we wanted to make sure we had a nice room and didn't want to take a chance by booking online.

We arrived after a 4+hour drive and the hotel desk attendant got us all checked in and reviewed the amenities with us. She explained the manager's reception would be starting soon and reviewed the breakfast hours the next morning. We signed the check-in paperwork and then were met with one extra piece of information: there would be no hot water starting at 8pm that night! My husband and I could not believe our ears. She explained the boiler was being replaced and that we would indeed have water, just not hot water. Then the hot water would be back on at 5am and back off at 9am. I was pretty disappointed since we were on a leisure trip and wanted to sleep in, use the fitness center and pool the next morning and take our time getting ready. Check-out wasn't until noon. Since we were tired after a long drive we decided to just stick it out. It was just hot water, right?

Wrong. 8pm rolled around, we headed back up to our room after the manager's reception to find not only was there no hot water . . . there was NO water. I immediately called down to the front desk to see if this was temporary only to receive an answer that it looked like we would be out of water the whole night. The person who took my call was apologetic and told us he was instructed to offer us bottled water if we would like. (Not to be graphic, but without water, hotel guests can not even flush their toilets. That is what I mean by a health hazard!)

My husband dealt with the front desk the next morning. They did reduce our bill a slight amount - but only after he had to argue with the manager. I felt that given the circumstances, the hotel should have discounted our stay by a significant amount and without us having to ask them.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We made the reservation the morning of the stay. Called Embassy Suites directly. We were traveling on leisure and chose this hotel over many in the immediate area in the same price range. After we handed over our credit card and finalized the check-in process the agent sheepishly slid over a piece of paper for us to read that basically said the hotel would be replacing the boiler the night of our stay. Also, there would be no hot water after 8pm, then the next morning, the hot water would return at 5am and go off again after 9am. At this point, we looked at the agent in dis-belief. Did she really just tell us this after we checked in? We later found out that they knew about this maintenance days before we called the hotel. Our instincts told us to get our money back and go find another hotel. Instead, my wife and I looked at eachother and thought we'd make the best of it. So, 8pm arrived and all of the water was shut off. No water in the hotel! Called the front desk. They were apologetic and offered bottled water but had no reason as to why the water was off. The water came back on at 2am. When I addressed the "no water" issue with the front desk in the morning (after getting the full price bill), I received a defensive attitude instead of an apologetic one. I expected a at the very least, some sort of discount. To my disbelief, I had to argue my case with the management to get even a little taken off the bill. After all was said, they reluctantly took about 20% off the bill. Although it was something, justice didn't seem served. There was definetely deception on the part of the hotel staff and management to not inform guests on what was really going on before check-in. Really disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

Since you never know what you get when you put in a bid with Priceline... I was very nervous as to what we would be getting for the mere $45 per night that we were accepted at. Even though it was a high "priceline" star rating... we didn't know what to expect!

The hotel was fairly easy to get to- once we were a bit more familiar with the neighborhood- it is close to the Woodfield Mall and a decent drive to downtown Chicago.

Parking was sufficient and free, which is always great. The front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient. We checked in quickly and took one of the two glass elevators up to our room.

The decor of the hotel is spectacular- it reminded me of a villa- all rooms have a glass french door as the door to the room. It was very charming there!

Our suite was terrific- plenty of room to have friends hang out in the front room/bar/tv area, and had we known that the sofa was a hide-away, they could have stayed!

The bedroom was separate from the sitting room- it was spacious and the king bed was super comfy! There was a desk, armoir, and separate vanity/sink area in the bedroom as well.

The bathroom was small- but it had a hot shower and tub, so not much to complain about there, either.

Our room came with a punch card for complimentary breakfast for each of us as well as a reminder of the manager's nightly reception. We thought both would be cheap and not appealing- boy were we wrong!!

The manager's reception was fantastic- we went to the lounge, showed our room key and were given our drink of choice (off of a limited, but nice list) for free. This may have continued for the entire time (5:30-7:30pm) had we had the time to stay!

The breakfast in the morning was not the cheap continental that I expected- instead, it was a spread- complete with two cooks available to prepare fresh omelets or eggs cooked to order. There was bacon, breakfast potatoes, sausage, pastries, cereals, yogurt, juices, coffee, soda... more than enough to stuff us until dinner! All for free!

I will ALWAYS stay at this hotel when I travel to Schaumburg from now on- everything was spot-on and perfect!

Internet was not free, which was a down side, but that was fine, too.

• Liked — Free manager's reception and breakfast!
  • Disliked — costly internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Schaumburg / Woodfield? Share your experiences!