“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 25 hotels in Schaumburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this Marriot for our little Anniversary weekend away from home. We live 45 minutes away in Chicago, but decided to hang out in this area. I did some searching on Hotels in the area and this one caught my eye. Good reviews and GREAT price solidified my decision. I reserved the "romance pkg." which is a king size room on the concerige level, breakfast for two, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and a late check out of 3 pm. This was all 119...and $135.00 with tax. Can't beat that. I also asked for an early check in and received it around 2pm without any problems. Check in was great...good customer service. Got to our room and was greeted with the most comfortable looking bed EVER. It was a VERY PLUSH and extrememly comfortable bed with a pillow top. Down comforter with a nice clean crisp duvet and AWSOME down pillows. An extra 2 down pillows also awaited us in the closet. We were in pillow and bed heaven! SOOO comfortable and the nice clean crisp feel of everything made me feel comfortable and that half the universe hadn't used the blanket before us. Decent size room...not huge, but had 2 chairs and a desk and a tv armoire. No flat panel tv and all that but a regular tv with a good assortment of cable channels. Bottled water in the room was free, and they offer starbucks coffee if you want to brew in your room for $4 . (which we did). Bathrooms were great...except an exhaust fan would have been nice. We didn't hear a peep from anyone outside the door. nobody bothered us with the "privacy sign" , and the service bringing the champagne and strawberries was very prompt , even at 11 pm at night :) Easy check out, free sunday newspaper, AWSOME free breakfast buffet with a make your own omelet station and anything else you could possibily want to eat for breakfast all included in the room. We didn't swim, but they had a great outside and inside pool. Over all for our leisure experience you couldn't get any better for the price and convenience of the proximity to everything Schaumburg has to offer.

Stayed July 2007

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

This is my second time at this hotel and it is still a great value. We were looking for a place to take the kids for the weekend to swim by Woodfield Mall. There service was excellent, check in and out was fast. My only concern is that we checked in at 3:30 and one of our 2 rooms was not ready. We had a great rate that included the following for $149 -

*$50 gift certificate to Woodfield Mall.
* In room movie
*Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children under 12
*Shuttle to mall

The in-room movie would of been $14 (not cheap) and breakfast would of been $36 so after GC the room only cost $49. This is really a great value. I requested a renovated room, which came with a large flat screen. It was an above average room only b/c it was fairly new. The indoor pool was fantastic as it was heated. I'm so use to experiencing hotels cheaping out on heating so this was a great surprise. The breakfast buffet was average but a great value when included with the room.

I will be coming back here again if I can get the Woodfield Mall package.

• Liked — The pool and value of package
  • Disliked — Check in exerience - room was not ready
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

Stayed here for 5 nights all together. Used points for 2 of them. Had a few problems, mainly with the Concierge staff, most of whom were not very pleasant. Also, the place is being renovated. Only some of the rooms, all doubles on low floors are finished. The lobby is curreently having a Starbucks added, so there is a little chaos.

I was given a supposed Concierge room on the 1th floor. The lounge and actual Concierge rooms are on the 14th floor. This room had none of the actual amenities. As a Platinum, I should have gotten an actual Concierge room.

To make a long story short, I went to check out and turn in my laundry list of little issues that really were annoying. Most people wouldn't mind, but, I stay almost exclusively in Marriotts and I know how things are supposed to be. Had I gotten a remodeled room in the first place, I probably would have been happier, even without my robe, water and turndown.

Anyway, the Direcot of Rooms talked me into staying and comped my room. I got a remodeled one-Finally-and she sent up all the amenities that should be in actual concierge rooms.

If you stay here, ask for a new room! Trust me. The bathrooms are miniscule anyway, so you may as well get the big, giant plasma TV! Otherwise, aside from just looking nice and fresh, the rooms are the same. My room on the 4th floor faced trees at the back of the hotel. It was a little noisy as there was a wedding outside until 11 PM. My original room faced the highway and was somewhat noisier, although, if it was clear, you could actually see the Chicago skyline way in the distance.

The manager also sent up a huge tray of cheese, fruits and waters. Very nice! So, I would up using a coupon and paying for another night, then got one free. (OK, so being a Platinum is NICE sometimes).

I did the Woodfield shopping package. You get a $50 gift card for Woodfield Mall, breakfast and a free movie. Not a bad deal. The mall is nice, lots of restaurants and shops. The gift card can only be used in that mall, or another owned by that company. Therefore, you can't go out to the adjacent shopping centers or restaurants. You are locked in to Woodfield. I ate at Stir Crazy several times. You can order off the menu, or get a make-our-own stir fry. The chicken is better than the beef. Theere is a large selection of veggies and sauces you can select to make your stir fry. Then, hand off your bowl to the chef, wait til it's done and eat! Yum. Great drinks (mai tai & mojito) and yummy desserts too!

The breakfast at the Marriott was basic Marriott food. If you have been to one Marriott buffet, you have been to them all. Not bad, not spectacular, but perfectly acceptable.

The bar also serves food-same menu. Service in the bar was good. Try the coconut chicken tenders. They could have been hotter, and the taste was a little flat. But, for presentation, they get a 10! And, the fruity salsa they serve with them, along with the dipping sauce are quite good. I just think the chicken needed some salt and pepper before it was breaded. It really had no taste. Go figure.

There are lots of other restuarants within a short drive. The hotel also has a shuttle to the mall every couple hours. Also, they will drop you off other places as well (like Target or other nearby restaurants).

Overall, the stay at the Schaumburg Marriott wound up being fairly pleasant. The renovation noise really was not that bad, but noise is relative. By the end, the Concierge staff had gotten an attitude adjustment so all was fine. And the bellmen and desk associates are very nice.

Again, ask for a new room. All in all, I would most likely return. Not great if you want to go downtown, although it isn't too bad. Great for shopping and just hanging out in the suburbs. There are several nice golf courses around as well,

• Liked — The new rooms are great
  • Disliked — Some of the staff could be nicer
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott in Schaumburg for a weekend getaway in August 2006. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are nice and spacious, the workout room is nice, and you can't beat the location (1 mile from Woodfield mall and tons of restaurants). The main problem was that our room was facing the back of the hotel, and there was a wedding reception in an enclosed tent in the back of the hotel. We could hear the DJ and music from the wedding reception loud and clear in our room until about midnight. It was so loud it sounded like we were only a few feet from the reception. We called the front desk and they were just like, "It's a wedding and there's nothing we can do about it."

If you stay here on a weekend night, request a room that faces the front of the hotel (facing I-355 expressway) so you don't hear all the noise from wedding receptions! Otherwise, it's a very nice place to stay.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, close to shopping and restaurants
  • Disliked — Our room faced a wedding reception and it was so loud!
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a room that faces the front of the hotel so you don't hear the wedding receptions at night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OBX, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

For the occasional weekend stay, the caliber of the hotel most likely cannot be matched in price (~$89 for Fri - Sat, ~$179 Sun-Thurs). But mostly the hotel can be summed up as "Descent" when it comes to other Marriotts in the world. I spend around 140 nights / year in Marriotts so I see my share of them. And I hit the Schaumburg Marriott for roughly 8 nights / month year-round. The staff is nice and attentive and the inside / outside appearance is descent. The food is mediocre and what you come to expect from a hotel that is really not in the business of serving food. But the rooms are clean, the broadband inernet works well, and I have mostly had quiet experiences.

The issues the property does have (business travelers take note!):
1. Elevators - Biggest nightmare they have. It's 13 floors are served by only 3, and rarely do they all work. They must be powered by a squirrel, because they are insanely slow. Getting down from the high floors in the morning can take as long as 15 minutes at times. People on the low floors can't get on because the cars are crammed. For floors that require a card swipe...be prepared to swipe your card multiple times to get the cranky system to work.
2. Concierge Club - Don't count on much. Service is horrible. Food is taken up early, doors locked early, and the staff doesn't know how to foster a quiet atmosphere. Biggest complainsts are that they allow rowdy meetings to be held there and don't chase out sweathogs fresh from the fitness room digging through the food (gross).
3. Typical Marriott Gouging - Horrible drink prices in the bar, almost $10 for 24 hours of Internet, and other items.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

We stayed there a few times last year. It is a great place to stay and I have no complaints about the hotel or service. It is a pretty good value at $89 a nite or better if you go with the $99 rate that includes breakfast. Breakfast is really nice as well as the outdoor pool in the summer.

I only want to warn others of a serious problem that is not very obvious. Last summer in August I stayed with the wife and took my ford ranger pickup. A few weeks later I noticed why the back end felt light- they stole my spare tire! They used a tool to lower the spare tire carrier, remove the tire, and crank up the carrier device so it would not be noticed. I did not think it could have happened at such a nice place and figured it was at the Rosemont park and ride.

So, in October we took the family and the ford explorer for another weekend trip. The morning after the first night there we were loading the truck to head into town and I joked to the wife that I had better check the spare tire. Well, they stole that one too! Not only that, since the crank mechanism is on the inside, they used a crowbar to break the carrier and picked up all but the smallest pieces so it would not be noticed. This time, since we knew it just happened, we filed a police report. The city cop was pretty nice and observed a few things about the parking lot. There is only one entrance, the front desk does not look out on the lot, other building nearby are offices and not occupied at night, a couple spaces near the entrance are noted for cabs with a great view of the lot and everyone that comes and goes.

Someone is using the lot as a tire store. Has to be either the hotel security or the cabs who hang out there. Hard to believe someone else just crusies the lot looking for a victim. The last time we parked in the center of the lot under a light.

Could have happened anywhere I suppose, but if you stay here, I hope they have increased there security because I got ripped off twice.

Ted

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

I attended the Schaumburg Rotary Dinner and also spent the night at this oasis! This is the place to go if you need to have any type of Special Event. The staff in the banquets were very attentive, the atmosphere was more than pleasant and I have to ask...who says that Hotel Food is just moderate! This Hotel should be given awards not only for the flavor, but the design and presentation of their food.I was here with my wife and another business associate, and we were lucky enough to be given a meal that would rival any free standing steakhouse including Chicago Prime! But my kudo's to Lyn Estka the Director of Catering at this wonderful Hotel. Her enthusiam and professionalism goes above and beyond what my words can say. My wife is in a wheel chair and Miss Estka was there to make sure we were seated near doors and able to access the lobby without any struggles. It is my understanding from the Chairpeople of this event that Miss Estka handled all the details in creating this memorable event. Hats off to a fine lady and a top professional in her field. She sure knows how to service her cliental and deliver a product that superceedes the competition! Marriott, you have a Gem of a Hotel...but your Service and Lyn take you the extra mile!

The rooms were beautiful....front desk was courtious...not one bad thing about your hotel! Thanks for a wonderful evening.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Chicago Marriott Schaumburg? Share your experiences!