“Excellent Facility with a Few Glitches” 4 of 5 stars

Kids eat free!
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Midland, Texas
“Excellent Facility with a Few Glitches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was our third stay, and it was top notch with one glaring exception. We arrived at the Renaissance and I give high scores to the check-in desk staff had given my sister and I adjoining rooms, and had combined each of our consecutive stays into one. Unfortunately, the front desk went down from there. I had two gift cards, which came to more than my entire stay, but they charged the entire amount, (not the estimate). At the end of our stay, we still had a credit, and we returned to the front desk to make sure our gift card was refunded. After a wait, we were assured it was. But a few nights later, we learned our gift card still had a zero balance. A phone call Kevin D***y in accounting realized the mistake, and the next week, he Fed-Exed a new card with our outstanding balance. The e-folio took a month to arrive from Renaissance Schaumberg, and nearly a month later we still hadn't received Marriott Rewards Credit either. I spoke with kind Rob N. in Marriott Rewards Customer Relations who told me he couldn't import our bill into his system, but after phoning the Renaissance Schaumburg, he corrected the oversight and manually adjusted our bill. No automatic e-folio and no automatic Marriott Rewards credit worries me. Our other stays at other Marriott Properties in August produced both e-folios and Marriott Rewards Credit.

We took our laundry down on the first day, and they did not have it returned by 6 PM as was their guarantee. The front desk found the laundry, and they were also kind enough to send up a bottle of wine along with a cheese and cracker platter.

In addition to this, the room was successfully de-feathered upon our arrival, as stated in our profile. And having an adjoining room with my sister worked out nicely as well. The coffee pot was one of those one cup models, and they started out with one serving of regular and one serving of decaf, but they gave us more upon request. We really appreciated adjoining rooms! Our stay in 2012 had us ten floors apart.

I always find it strange that the Fairfield (bottom of the Marriott chain) gives free full breakfast and free internet in the rooms, but at the Renaissance, we have to pay extra for the breakfast and internet (it’s still free in a small part of the lobby).

Bell hop was slow, but not surprising with so many people checking in at once.

We love the fountains in front of the hotel, and hotel is connected to the convention center by a long hallway so we don’t have to go out into the elements. We also learned that the Renaissance has a shipping service, something which is a nice addition to those attending the Stitches conference attendees after visiting the market.

I knocked a star off the service due to the folio glitches, and I gave a lower score to location, because there are no restaurants within walking distance, other than those affiliate with the hotel.

Room Tip: Request close to the elevator. Our first stay had us near the convention center, and there are no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is my second time at this hotel! I've been in almost all upscale hotels in the area on my business and vacation trips and I can say this is the best hotel in the area.
Parking is complimentary... and only bad thing is internet is $13 p/day and staff to be Lazy and no give you anything is a courtesy even when you a Rmember...

As the hotel is very lovely and I'd stay and strongly recommend for business traveler

Room Tip: High floors has TV on restroom attached in the mirror which I found very nice! ps: on my last visit...
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here last weekend while attending a Friday-Sunday marriage seminar.
When we checked in on Friday they told my 6'4" husband that even though we booked a king room, they only had a room with two doubles. After we pushed the point we were given "a suite" with a queen bed. The suite was actually the common room between two bedrooms and had a Murphy bed!!! Kind of weird.
But good news! By 8:30 Saturday morning we had a new room, with a king bed! :-)
The restaurants, bar, Starbucks are very good but definitely pricey.
Great place to attend training.
I'd stay here again for the right price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RenSchaumburg, Director of Sales at Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We truly value the feedback of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this important weekend for you and your husband. Your feedback will only help us to make our hotel better for our future guests. Unfortunately during this very busy group demand timeframe, we over committed the hotel's inventory of King beds. We have addressed our inventory processes to ensure this does not happen again. While this experience was not our best effort for you, we do hope you will return and when you do, please let us know so we can create an extraordinary experience for you both.
Spooner, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here as the convention we were attending was onsite. We found the hotel very easy to get to, the parking (FREE) was ample, and the customer service was great when we got inside. Even though the hotel and convention center is huge and a little overwhelming when you first get there, it was actually very easy to get around. My only tip is that you have to go upstairs to check in. The signage was not very clear and we walked around downstairs because it makes sense that would be where you check in and the signage was not clear. The rooms were beautiful. I loved the floor to ceiling windows and how fun to have a tv in the mirror. We got in at 11:30 at night so room service was our only option that late after a 6 hour drive. They were out of what I wanted and I am gluten free so I am limited in what I can have so I cancelled my order and when they delivered my moms meal it was on the house and they added a free creme brulee for me and were very apologetic. We certainly appreciated their hospitality and thoughtfullness, it wasn't necessary.

I am planning on coming back for anothe convention next year and probably the same convention I just attended so I will definitely be back and I am happy to be in good hands when travelling.

Also the convention facilities are nice and there were other conventions at the same time and there was more than enough space for everyone!

usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a reliable, clean, modern hotel. The lobby is large and the bar/lounge area is very nice. The rooms are relatively clean and modern. There is a café with Starbucks in the lobby. There is ample parking outside the hotel, and a taxi stand (that I always see Taxi's in) if you're planning to use a taxi. The only reason I gave this 3.5/4 stars is that it's pricey for a suburban hotel that's just good, not very good or excellent

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Clinton, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had excellent customer service from the time we checked in to checkout, the front desk staff was superb. The rooms and the common areas were immaculatly clean. We had one meal (breakfast) and the hote resturant staff there was as good, if not friendlier than the hotel desk staff.

The only problems were with the convention crowd. The first problem was parking, even as a registered hotel guest, parking was not readlly available. We were directed to offsite parking that was not convenient in the least. Can.t be too difficult to reserve lots for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Upper floors, north side, away from bank of 6 elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very clean and spacious hotel. Convenient as right next door to the convention building. Taxi trip from o'Hair is a little expensive as the hotel is not downtown. Rooms are very quiet and there is no street noise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!