“WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
WESTMONT
“WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Most of my life I have ate at local, general chinese restaurants that use all of that MSG. Yu's is an upscale true Chinese restaurant. You know the food is good when all of the Chinese people eat there.

My wife and I have been back several times. We won't go to any other Chinese restaurant.

You will not be disappointed.

Bob

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Probably the best chinese food in the Chicagoland area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Despite being Asian, Chinese food is not my favorite - mostly because I ate so much of it when I was younger and throughout my single life. Also because there aren't many really good Chinese sit-down restaurants if you don't count the take-out joints all over Chicago and the suburbs.
Yu's Mandarin is different because you get to see how your food is cooked through the glass windows. Sort of like the way you see them in China. It's fun to watch how your food is cook, it's also comforting in that you are assured of it's purity. Anytime a kitchen is visible to the patrons is always a good thing.
My favorite here is the Spicy Fried Eggplant. I usually don't like spicy so I ask for it to be mild but in this case I enjoy the flavor of the red spices because it's not overpowering.
They have a sensational Noodle Show on Saturday evenings (I believe around 8pm) but call the restaurant to confirm if you are specifically coming to see this show. It's entertaining to see a cook/chef making the noodle and stretching it out. This ends up the noodles you get on your dish - should you order a noodle dish.
Try Yu's but invite family & friends for a better experience. It's not a fancy restaurant but a change from the ho-hum, boring Chinese take-out dives. There are three separate parts or rooms, not certain why but maybe it's for private occasions/celebrations. I always to be seated directly in front of the kitchen windows because it's fun watching the cooks slave over my meal(just kidding).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cary, IL
“Large Menu, something for everyone!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I dined at Yu’s on Friday 8/23 about 8:45pm. We arrived to find the restaurant quite busy with seating at least ¾ the way full. We were immediately seated in a great spot over looking the glassed in cooking area. After reviewing the large menu and specials for the night, we placed our order for Crab Rangoon, Chicken & Shrimp Szechwan Style and the Noodle Platter. The Crab Rangoon was delicious as usual, served piping hot. The Chicken & Shrimp Szechwan Style had great flavor, not too spicy but with a bit of a kick. The chicken was tender and the shrimp were large and juicy. There weren’t many green peppers or water chestnuts so next time I will select a dish with more vegetables. I thought the portion size was a bit small for the price. The Noodle Platter was GREAT with huge scallops, shrimp and pieces of squid. We will definitely order the Noodle Platter again as it was the best deal for the amount of food received. This is our 5th time to Yu’s and we were not disappointed. We will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good meal, but quality not the same as prior visits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Good meal on our return visit to Yu's Mandarin. Our favorite two dishes were the hand pulled noodles, and the fatty pork with pea pod leaves which is not on the menu. Both were good, but the amount of food that they now serve is much smaller than before. The other dishes we had were okay. Had it not been for the craving for the fatty pork with pea pod leaves and the hand pulled noodles, the meal would have been a real disappointment...

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Decent Chinese/Korean food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Yu's Mandarin is one of the better Chinese restaurants in the area. Yes, management has changed, but it's still pretty decent and you still have to compare this place to its competitors in the area.

This place is usually pretty busy and lively, and the decor is relatively modern. I like how Yu's Mandarin also incorporates some Korean elements into their dishes. Most of the dinner plates are pretty authentic. They also pay attention to presentation and make the dishes aesthetically pleasing. As a result, prices can take a bit of a hike.

Visited January 2013