“Business trip with my husband” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg

Save Saved
You added HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg to your Saves list
HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 East American Lane, Schaumburg, IL 60173 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Schaumburg)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shop and Stay Package
Ranked #24 of 25 hotels in Schaumburg
Mason, Ohio
“Business trip with my husband”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband was on a business trip in Chicago. I came along. We stayed for 5 nights. Very nice stay. We had a suite on the 2nd floor. Rooms were great . Very comfortable and clean. Staff was wonderful. And morning breakfast is one of the best. Great location for shopping and restaurants.
The train station into the city is just a few miles away. Free shuttle service is available if you need it. I recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I travel from AZ to Chicago for work about every 2-3 weeks and commonly stay at a local Hyatt property (Hyatt Place, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt House). I am a preferred Hyatt guest. The hotels are clean, reaasonably priced, and to eliminate the cost and hassle of renting a car, I take advantage of their free shuttle service, wherein a hotel shuttle will take you to and from the hotel (within a 5 mile radius) throughout the day (basically, to and from work).

I landed at O'Hare about 2 weeks ago and took a taxi to my workplace, which is about 2 miles from the Hyatt House property. I called the hotel and asked that the shuttle pick me up around 7pm. At that time, I was told there was an "unforseen issue" with the hotel shuttle, but that the hotel would arrange for a taxi to pick me up around 8pm to take me to the hotel. I was waiting outside my workplace at 8pm for the taxi on a very humid night. At 8:15pm, the taxi service called to say that there was a "misunderstanding with the Hyatt front desk" and that they were simply too far away to come and get me. I was told to call the Hyatt front desk and arrange for alternate plans to the hotel. I called the Hyatt but was told the shuttle was no longer available (which I knew), but that they would try to arrange for another taxi, but that could take 45-60 minutes. At this juncture, I decided to simply walk the two miles to the property, carrying my luggage and backpack. I walked along Golf Road in complete darkness, a busy road with many places that lack a sidewalk, dragging my luggage behind me.

When I arrived at the hotel, I told the front desk attendant what had happened and she apologized. I asked to have the shuttle take me back to work at around 8am the next day. She immediately flipped open a large binder and said that the shuttle was booked from 7am-9am (there was a large "X" from 7-9am which said "ZURICH", a company which is 2 blocks away). Despite this large X, she said she thought they could "squeeze me in" around 7:30am. I agreed to that earlier time. I went up to my room and immediately received a call from the front desk that they would not be able to "squeeze me in" after all. Instead, she said I could arrange for a taxi.

The hotel advertises that a shuttle is available for guests to be taken to locations within a 5 mile radius, and considering what had just happened that night, I was really upset to hear that I couldn't get the shuttle for the next morning. I understand that Zurich may be a prefered client, but if the Hyatt House only wants to cater to Zurich, then simply tell all other guests when they book that the hotel shuttle is only available to Zurich employees/consultants.

I asked if the shuttle could pick me up after work the next day - no, the shuttle was reserved...so I had a work associate take me back to the hotel after work.

When I woke up the next day, I stopped by the front desk to ask if I could be taken to work the FOLLOWING day. Again, Zurich had the shuttle reserved until 9am. I agreed to be taken at 9am, even though I really needed to be at work by 8am. At 9am the next day, I went down to the front desk and said I was there for my 9am shuttle ride to work. The front desk said the shuttle would be "right there", so I went to wait outside. At 9:15am, the front desk attendant came out to say the shuttle was running late and wouldn't be back for some time but that she would call me a taxi. 15 minutes later, a taxi arrived to get me to work by 9:45am.

For the 3 nights and 2 days I was at the hotel, I never had shuttle service, which is one of the major reasons I book at the Hyatt hotels. I either had to walk or rely on work associates to take me to and from the hotel. I will never stay at the Hyatt House again, and would strongly recommend that you NOT stay if you need reliable shuttle service to and from work.

Two days after checkout, the hotel sent a survey, in which I laid out my experiences. I received a response that they were "sorry" and "working to make their shuttle service more reliable." That response seemed pretty lame for somebody that had just experienced such poor service and who was one of their "preferred clients." I understand that issues can sometimes occur, but for this to happen for 3 days in a row is unacceptable and reflects a dismissive attitude towards customer service. I have never posted a complaint about any hotel and travel about 12-15 times per year.

I am booked at the Hilton Homewood Suites for my future visits and will never stay at a Hyatt property again.

Room Tip: If you need shuttle service, do NOT book at this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stay at Hyatt House Schaumburg for business from 26 July 2013 to 3 August 2013. I was given a welcome kit as a VIR. Inside the kit it has a box of chocolates, one bottle of mineral water, one packet of dried fruits and nuts. Besides, there was also a 4 laundry loads (wash + dry) and a 10USD credits.

The daily breakfast is decent, with omelette, potatoes, bacon, sausages, hams, toasts, cereals, juices, fruits, milks, coffee, tea and etc. The manager reception was very nice too if you like beers and wines. The only downside is the seating area is very limited. It can get really crowdy during weekends.

The studio room comes with complete kitchenette including hot plates, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, dish washer, and different types of cooking utilities. The room is clean though slowly showing its age, but I am okay with it. The wifi connection could be unstable at time but its tolerable.

Overall I recommend this hotel if you are planning for an extended stay.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor as kids could be running around at the lobby and first floor business room are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I and our little Izzy stayed here 2 nights. It has a good location near mall and shopping. We also enjoyed the free breakfast. Our room was very nice with a kitchen area.You could do your own cooking-which we didnt use.

I would recommend this hotel especially if traveling with a pet. They made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a really great stay in this hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the room was extremely spacious and was very clean. We booked the cheapest room available, but were pleasantly surprised by the fact that we received a comfortable suite, complete with kitchenette.
Breakfast included scrambled eggs, french toast, great bacon, juices etc. really very nice. We shared the hotel with a gazillion young dancers who were in Schaumburg for a dance contest. They were pretty rambunctious, but even so, we had a quiet stay in the room we had. It's about a 45 minute drive / 1 hour train ride into downtown Chicago proper, but not too onerous, and certainly better value out in Schaumburg.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Very nice location, good breakfast, nice rooms. Clean rooms and very friendly staff. Expensive items in the pantry, suggest go down to target about 3min away get snacks and water. Our room had a full kitchen minus stove but we had a micro wave oven. Hotel provides shampoo soup and also dish soap. The kitchen comes with dishes and cutlery.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I were relocated from our home, due to construction. As this was the weekend of the Northwestern University graduation, the hotels in my area (Evanston, Illinois) wanted outrageous amounts of money for a week's stay. I had stayed at a Hyatt Place prior to my stay here, and found the Hyatt House online. To say that this hotel is a gem in the rough is an understatement; the price was comparable to the other hotels in the area, the staff (especially Erin, Megan, CiCi, and others) were extremely friendly, and any request I had during my stay was granted quickly and with a smile. I was also, for an additional fee, allowed to bring my 7 month old puppy, who quickly became a hit with the front desk staff, and gave her, on several occasions, doggie treats, which she devoured quickly. In addition, the fire alarm activated once during my stay, and the staff acted professionally and did not panic.

The only downfall of this hotel is that it can be hard to find, as you could pass it if you didn't know what to look for; however, this is a small issue that didn't concern me. There is ample parking in the lot, and the "evening snack" from 5-7 (or so) was excellent. There is also several excellent restaurants in the area (two within a short walk), and the Woodfield Mall is less than five minutes drive from the hotel.

All in all, it was a great stay, and I will recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the Schaumburg area for a day, a week, or longer.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms have a nicer view of the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg? Share your experiences!