“Good hotel, excellent staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg

You added HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg to your Saves list
HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 East American Lane, Schaumburg, IL 60173 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Schaumburg)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shop and Stay Package
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
Memphis TN
“Good hotel, excellent staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are a little on the small size, especially compared to other Hyatt House suites, but still comfortable. The hotel only has queen beds (i.e., no rooms have 2 beds in them). It has an indoor pool, hot tub and small gym. The rate does include breakfast, but I really wouldn't categorize it as a true full breakfast. Breakfast is about average (the eggs aren't that great - it appears they are made from powder).

The hotel is very close to a lot of businesses so if you're staying for vacation, there will be more noise Monday-Friday. Each bedroom and the living area has its own air conditioning unit, which can be loud, especially when they turn on.

We had some trouble with a very noisy air conditioner, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating to move us to a new suite. They gave us a nice personalized letter apologizing for the incident and provided a complimentary bottle of wine for our trouble. Good recovery!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Byron Center, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Their was enough room for the 5 of us. The TV in the main room did not work, I told them in the morning and they never fixed it. also the down comforter didn't look very clean. So we didn't use it.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel offers minisuites with small kitchenettes, queen beds and flat screen TV's. The rooms are a little on the small size but very clean and comfortable. It has an indoor pool, hot tub and small gym. The rate includes a full breakfeast and happy hour with light snacks.The staff was welcoming and provided excellent service. The location is close to Woodfield mall wilth restaurants in every price point and offers a variety of Shopping. It's close to I355 and I90 so travel is realatively easy if you don't mind paying the tolls. All in all its a nice hotel with a great location that's friendly and moderately priced.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel for 3 nights in September...made the booking in February....they just emailed me and said they were upping the rate by $130 a night...said I could either pay the difference or cancel the reservation. I cancelled. Needless to say, I will never book at a Hyatt again, nor will I encourage my university to do so. I have booked and stayed at a lot of hotels with my business...I have NEVER had this happen. Really shabby treatment!!!!

Stayed February 2012
Central Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful start to my honeymoon. Room was clean and spacious. Would stay here again. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was also huge.

• Stayed June 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on Mar 11, 2012 for one night. The room in general was fine but the toilet flush was not working properly. As we were there for only one night, I just overlooked it. The following day morning, after we used the toilet, the flush stopped working completely and caused overflow. I called the reception and I was told that someone would be there right away. We waited for half an hour and nobody came and I called the reception again. She said she would send one soon and she advised me if we need to use the bathroom, we can use one in the lobby area! We haven't had even taken shower yet and we were to check out and head to Davenport, Iowa for a visit and we were running late. Finally, a housekeeping male staff appeared at the door with a plunger but to my surprise, he wanted to hand in the plunger to my wife!! That means he wanted us to unclog the toilet! I didn't expect that you ask your guests to do that. My wife refused to take it and then he came in and unclogged the toilet but he didn't clean the mesh on the floor. When he was leaving, I asked him if he would dry the floor. Then he went to get the towels to clean the floor! Is that normal that a normal practice at your hotel? I am not sure if he treated us that way because of our color. My friend told me that when he went to eat breakfast, the attendant lady greeted everyone in front of him but ignored him, maybe she thought she doesn't have to greet the people of her own color. When I went to eat breakfast, I found that the silverware and plates were all wet. I had to use the paper towel to dry the plate. No "good morning" and no thanks! What a hospitality!

When we were leaving room, I saw the same housekeeping male staff near the elevator and he was cracking jokes with the female staff and when I looked at him, he blinked one eye at me as if Iwas his coworker. No sense of respect to the guests! This gentleman really needs good training.

So much money has been spent to create the suites and equip with all kitchen utensils but you didn't hire trained people or at least someone who value the customers. I will never go back to this hotel.

I had already paid hotwire but I had used credit card to check in but I found that they again charged some money on my credit card. I had to call them and later they credited that back!

Reception crews were nicer compared to the house keeping and breakfast attendant lady.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

There is never an excuse for poor housekeeping, and even more importantly, no excuse for unfriendly staff members. The vast majority of comments we receive regarding the friendliness of our associates are overwhelmingly positive and it is very unusual and disapointing that you would have such an unusually poor experience.

When a member of the hotel's management team is informed, there are very few problems that cannot be resolved. I am very disappointed that these issues were not brought to my attention, as I am sure I could have resolved any problems that you experienced to your complete satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Usually stay at Marriott Summerfield just north of this property. This time I wanted to try something else. Reasonable price and great location IMO. Very efficient service at check in and friendly staff.

However, the room had a bit to be desired and not like any other Hyatt named property I've been in. My main issues stem around maintenance and housekeeping. It was warm for this time of the year (80) and when I got to room I turned on the A/C then ran out for a couple errands. Came back and room was hotter. I turned down to 65 and unit was running but just blowing hot air. Cycled it and nothing, so I turned it all the way down to 60. Seem the A/C in this room only turned on when at 60-62.

I had also turned on ice maker before I left and no ice. I later found out the ice maker was disconnected (see pictures). I had a cooler with some ice so I didn't bother asking front desk. Some other items were a couple dead flys by the window (see picture) and hair in the bathroom room - both long dark hair and some shorter hair.

Some of the molding was ruined (see picture) I'm guessing from a leaky water line to the ice maker thus it was disconnected. Other odd thing was there was a gap in the flooring by the wall (see picture). The other maintenance issue was in the pool are an area of the paint was peeling off the wall.

On the positive, the exercise equipment was nice as was the room with individual tv screens.

In a little over a week I'll be down that way and had already decided to stay at the HGI just south of here so I'll give a review of that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit. While I am glad that you felt the Hyatt House Schaumburg met your expectations for the service provided to your family during your stay, I am sorry that you our housekeeping and maintenance department did not live up tto our high expectations that we promise to deliver.

We have recently upgraded to stainless steel appliances and have run into a few scenarios that need additional work to have the job completed. We are also working hard at training our housekeeping team with new techniques to eleviate the problems you mentioned. I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I hope you will consider the Hyatt House Schaumburg for your next visit to the area.

Regards,
Clint DeLee

Been to HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg? Share your experiences!