“How can you score less than 1?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg

You added HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg to your Saves list
HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1251 East American Lane, Schaumburg, IL 60173 (Formerly Hyatt Summerfield Suites Schaumburg)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
“How can you score less than 1?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel for 3 nights in September...made the booking in February....they just emailed me and said they were upping the rate by $130 a night...said I could either pay the difference or cancel the reservation. I cancelled. Needless to say, I will never book at a Hyatt again, nor will I encourage my university to do so. I have booked and stayed at a lot of hotels with my business...I have NEVER had this happen. Really shabby treatment!!!!

Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Central Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful start to my honeymoon. Room was clean and spacious. Would stay here again. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was also huge.

• Stayed June 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on Mar 11, 2012 for one night. The room in general was fine but the toilet flush was not working properly. As we were there for only one night, I just overlooked it. The following day morning, after we used the toilet, the flush stopped working completely and caused overflow. I called the reception and I was told that someone would be there right away. We waited for half an hour and nobody came and I called the reception again. She said she would send one soon and she advised me if we need to use the bathroom, we can use one in the lobby area! We haven't had even taken shower yet and we were to check out and head to Davenport, Iowa for a visit and we were running late. Finally, a housekeeping male staff appeared at the door with a plunger but to my surprise, he wanted to hand in the plunger to my wife!! That means he wanted us to unclog the toilet! I didn't expect that you ask your guests to do that. My wife refused to take it and then he came in and unclogged the toilet but he didn't clean the mesh on the floor. When he was leaving, I asked him if he would dry the floor. Then he went to get the towels to clean the floor! Is that normal that a normal practice at your hotel? I am not sure if he treated us that way because of our color. My friend told me that when he went to eat breakfast, the attendant lady greeted everyone in front of him but ignored him, maybe she thought she doesn't have to greet the people of her own color. When I went to eat breakfast, I found that the silverware and plates were all wet. I had to use the paper towel to dry the plate. No "good morning" and no thanks! What a hospitality!

When we were leaving room, I saw the same housekeeping male staff near the elevator and he was cracking jokes with the female staff and when I looked at him, he blinked one eye at me as if Iwas his coworker. No sense of respect to the guests! This gentleman really needs good training.

So much money has been spent to create the suites and equip with all kitchen utensils but you didn't hire trained people or at least someone who value the customers. I will never go back to this hotel.

I had already paid hotwire but I had used credit card to check in but I found that they again charged some money on my credit card. I had to call them and later they credited that back!

Reception crews were nicer compared to the house keeping and breakfast attendant lady.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

There is never an excuse for poor housekeeping, and even more importantly, no excuse for unfriendly staff members. The vast majority of comments we receive regarding the friendliness of our associates are overwhelmingly positive and it is very unusual and disapointing that you would have such an unusually poor experience.

When a member of the hotel's management team is informed, there are very few problems that cannot be resolved. I am very disappointed that these issues were not brought to my attention, as I am sure I could have resolved any problems that you experienced to your complete satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Usually stay at Marriott Summerfield just north of this property. This time I wanted to try something else. Reasonable price and great location IMO. Very efficient service at check in and friendly staff.

However, the room had a bit to be desired and not like any other Hyatt named property I've been in. My main issues stem around maintenance and housekeeping. It was warm for this time of the year (80) and when I got to room I turned on the A/C then ran out for a couple errands. Came back and room was hotter. I turned down to 65 and unit was running but just blowing hot air. Cycled it and nothing, so I turned it all the way down to 60. Seem the A/C in this room only turned on when at 60-62.

I had also turned on ice maker before I left and no ice. I later found out the ice maker was disconnected (see pictures). I had a cooler with some ice so I didn't bother asking front desk. Some other items were a couple dead flys by the window (see picture) and hair in the bathroom room - both long dark hair and some shorter hair.

Some of the molding was ruined (see picture) I'm guessing from a leaky water line to the ice maker thus it was disconnected. Other odd thing was there was a gap in the flooring by the wall (see picture). The other maintenance issue was in the pool are an area of the paint was peeling off the wall.

On the positive, the exercise equipment was nice as was the room with individual tv screens.

In a little over a week I'll be down that way and had already decided to stay at the HGI just south of here so I'll give a review of that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at HYATT house Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit. While I am glad that you felt the Hyatt House Schaumburg met your expectations for the service provided to your family during your stay, I am sorry that you our housekeeping and maintenance department did not live up tto our high expectations that we promise to deliver.

We have recently upgraded to stainless steel appliances and have run into a few scenarios that need additional work to have the job completed. We are also working hard at training our housekeeping team with new techniques to eleviate the problems you mentioned. I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I hope you will consider the Hyatt House Schaumburg for your next visit to the area.

Regards,
Clint DeLee
Lewis Center, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Yes, its not Homewood Suites or Residence Inn, but the Hyatt House is an AMAZING property for the price. The studio was large enough and had a dishwasher! The room was clean (as opposed to the those pictures posted by others) and the staff was very helpful (though we didn't really challenge them, hardest questions was how I should make a label out to overnight something to my husband later who was staying a bit longer). Its in an awesome location on the corner of American Ln & National Pkwy, down the road from Zurich and countless number of business, Target (very important), Woodfield Mall & Streets of Woodfield, and a grocery store (Dominick's).

The only negative was the breakfast. It was kinda gross, the best part was the toast. There is a light at the end of the nasty breakfast tunnel; My husband is a coffee snob and he said the regular coffee was "decent". All in all, would stay here again since it has the right price.

The best part was the amazing amount of restaurants around!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed here in July of 2011 on business for an entire week. This is a nice hotel with a great hotel staff that help us have a great time. They even took us to a restaurant one night because we didn’t know how to get there. The food is decent enough to eat, of course it isn't fancy food, but it was free and it was pretty good. I would recommend staying here, and I would stay here again. They have a small workout room, but they have treadmill other cardio equipment. There is a decent size basketball court outside. There is a bar/club across the street, I walked to it one night and it was ok. THe hotel is also very close to a very big mall that is across the street. This hotel is nicely located in a nice area, however not extremely far from Chicago. The hotel room was enough for me, you get a full size fridge/microwave, and a nice tv that swivels incase you wanna watch on the couch or the bed. all in all I would go back there if I had to do it again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Overall, this hotel is a great value. The hotel appears to have had some updates recently. There is a hot breakfast that was included. The breakfast was decent, however, we found it to be very crowded and there is not enough seating for all of the guests. This was not a huge deal, we just decided to take breakfast back to our room. The room we stayed in was a queen whirlpool studio. We really liked that our room had a fridge, stove top, and microwave. Unfortunately, the person who cleaned the room before us neglected to remove the trash from the previous guest. Also, the granite countertop in the bathroom was severely cracked and had been glued together. I am not sure if I would stay here again, there are a lot of great hotels in the Schaumburg area.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 511, the ganite countertop in the bathroom is cracked.