“Mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Would really like to rate three stars.

I have been staying here one to three nights a year on business since 2005, before they tarted up the lobby and removed the koi ponds.

They do a nice job catering my employer's holiday party. Other than that, I've never been particularly impressed or unimpressed with the facilities, rooms, or staff. Where shall I start?

This is a largish hotel that caters to groups. The hallways are invariably noisy with guests coming and going; one year I lucked out and was assigned a handicapped room by the elevator so I got to hear the door bang all night long on top of that. This December 7 there were scads of kids running around.

The desk staff is professional. Not warm, not welcoming, but professional.

I didn't have a chance to use the gym this time around, but in previous years the amount of equipment was marginal in relation to the number of guests.

Checkout is noon. Last time the maid tried to push her way in at 10AM. I didn't think to put a DND sign on the door because normally I wouldn't need to. I hightailed it out of there.

Wi-Fi is free if you join Hyatt's membership program, which is also free.

Have never eaten at the restaurant. Schedule permitting, we like to meet at the bar and eat there.

They have an Avis/Budget desk in the lobby. I'm told you can rent a car at the hotel and return it to O'Hare, which is nice because other rental companies are less flexible.

Overall, my coworkers and I stay there because that's where the party is and we get a heavily-discounted group rate (the locals pay their own way). The non-group rate is exorbitant and I stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators can be particularly noisy. Rooms in the front will have traffic noisefrom G...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hyatt_Schaumburg1, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest at the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago. While we greatly appreciate your loyalty, we regret to learn that we have been unable to exceed your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disturbances that you experienced during your valued time with us, especially from our housekeeping staff. We will be sharing your comments with the appropriate department heads to ensure that this type of occurrence does not happen again. We are very grateful for your detailed review and will use your comments as a training opportunity. We hope you'll continue to stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is the first time staying at this hotel. My preference is to stay at Hyatt hotels. The staff was extremely friendly. The place was well kept. Room was clean and had everything I needed. I went to have continental breakfast each morning and the wait staff was more than accommodating. This hotel is close to a lot of dinning options.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We are happy that you found your way to the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our hotel. It’s wonderful that we were able to meet your standards and provide the high quality and service you deserve as a valued guest. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again.
Merrillville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Always enjoy great staff. Comfortable n pleasant. Enjoy the breakfast.Polite ,efficient, n honest staff.Juan the head waiter called our room punctually when my husband lost wallet with all our shopping and vacation money.Love location n hotel. Only prefer Hyatt regency and like this location. Don't look fancy n the outside but don't b fooled. We love it. Other review i meant Hyatt regency. Thanks!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind review. We are truly grateful for your loyalty and are pleased to know that our staff was able to quickly locate and return your husband’s valuable belonging. We hope you will continue to stay with us at the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, as it's always a pleasure to welcome you.
Waukegan, Illinois, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed at this property because the event I was attending was in the conference center downstairs, no need to get in my car in the freezing cold and the added advantage of being able to take advantage of the event's open bar without risk of a DUI. I was booked onto the club level, the 5th floor. Whatever advantages the club may have offered were missed by my as it is closed from Fri - Sun, and my event was a Friday night. The room is surprising in how actually basic it is, more like a bottom tier offering among major chains. My room had a king sized bed, and it was not until the evening when I retired for the night that I discovered that it had been made up with too small bedding. Cold feet or cold head and chest, the choice was mine. The room has a sitting area by the window that looks and would be quite comfy were it not for a fan that blows hot or cold air 24 X 7 The room thermostat could only control the temperature, but not the constant wind when seated. Next time we have an even at this hotel, I'll book myself at the Hyatt Place. It's about 500 feet across the parking lot. I'll trade a cold walk for a good night's sleep in more comfortable room anytime.

Room Tip: Choose one across the parking lot at the Hyatt Place.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hyatt_Schaumburg1, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We deeply regret to learn that you did not receive the best night's rest while with us and we wish we had the opportunity to address these concerns during your stay. We hope you'll accept our sincere apologies if you experienced any discomfort with our bedding. We have already notified the head of our housekeeping department regarding this oversight in service. Furthermore, we apologize if the temperature in your sitting area was not to your liking. Whether visiting with us for business or leisure, we strive to create a comfortable environment for our guests and it seems that we may have missed the mark on this occasion. The next time you visit our area we hope you'll consider giving us another try. Thank you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am writing this review after walking back from the front desk. I was going to rate this hotel exceptional, however this morning I went to the gym and questioned the continental breakfast advertised on the mobile site (see attached picture). The front desk attendant shrugged me off when I said the mobile site stated a continental breakfast and referred me to a 16.95 breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The gym equipment needs serviced terribly. I could forgive the equipment, but you really need to make sure you advertise your features accurately and apologize when there is a mistake.

• Stayed November 2013
Hyatt_Schaumburg1, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We greatly appreciate that you've taken the time to reach out to us regarding your most recent experience. We deeply regret if you encountered any frustrations or inconveniences while with us. We do offer a continental breakfast, which is based on availability, for $13.95. It seems that our American Breakfast Buffet was available at the time of your visit, which includes all of the Continental Buffet favorites as well as scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and omelets made to order. We do sincerely apologize if our breakfast choices were not made clear or if our fitness center fell below expectations. We hope you'll consider giving us another try in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Regular guests at Hyatt properties across the country and now this one in our own backyard! We took our kids to the Hyatt for a special weekend to celebrate their good grades and had a wonderful experience. Amy at the front desk was welcoming and helpful. The pool was warm despite the icy weather and our suite was fabulous. The most memorable aspect of the weekend was breakfast at Fresh with Jose, our server. He definitely was the icing on the proverbial cake for a great weekend away providing top in class service. We will definitely be back, and we will be asking for Jose!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt_Schaumburg1, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
As a loyal guest to the Hyatt brand, it was a pleasure to welcome you to the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago. Thank you for sharing your experience at our front desk, pool and Fresh 1800 Restaurant. We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed a memorable experience from beginning to end. As we pass along your kind remarks to our team, we look forward to welcoming you back.
DeKalb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Jose was probably the nicest and most caring waiter I have ever met in my life. He made sure countless times that my family and I had everything we needed during all the meals, and he genuinely was happy to help us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind recognition of our staff member. He will be happy to know that his hard work does not go unnoticed. It is truly rewarding to know that you and your family had such an enjoyable experience in our Fresh 1800 Restaurant. Thank you for your glowing review and we hope to welcome you back soon to the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago.

Been to Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago? Share your experiences!