“The room smells” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Schaumburg
Des Moines, Iowa
“The room smells”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I am not sure what the odor is, but the room smells. They sprayed it so hopefully it will be better when we return from dinner. Not a good first impression. I like Hiltons and usually don't have any complaints, but I am regretting staying here already. We are a silver Hilton member, so we stay at Hiltons frequently.

• Stayed November 2011
HGISchaumburgManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
We appreciate your feedback on your most recent stay with us. Our apologies for the issue you experienced in the room. As indicated, you advised our staff and it appears we remedied the situation in a timely manner. We understand that you have choices when staying in the Schaumburg area and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Burlington VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Hotel is relatively new and clean although the floors could use more vacuuming especially near the desk, bed, etc... Staff are friendly and accommodating. Morning breakfast is a so-so. Juice & fruit taste funny but hot food and service is good. Dinner menu is limited but there are many restaurants nearby with the Woodfield Mall and Meachum Rd.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Ramona, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

In a neighborhood of mostly corporate traveler hotels, this one is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2011
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Who we are: Couple with four kids on some business/pleasure in Chicago away from our kids at the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) and some other hotels.

Pluses:
Value is outstanding--$65/night (weekend stay)
Location--Awesome shopping at the nearby mall, restaurants, other shops, access to freeway
Beds--though not as good as Hampton and Homewood Suites, still excellent
Lobby--nice cozy feel
Hotel restaurant--Great American Grill--not great dinner selection, but the food was excellent the one night we ate dinner. I love HGI breakfast as a Hhonors gold member--free for my spouse and I (warning--buffet is about 10 dollars if you are not a gold/diamond member or it doesn't get included in the room rate, although there is a 3 dollar breakfast option) and the breakfast food was excellent
Fitness center and pool--good for a hotel this size--treadmills and limited free weights

Neutral--room is clean but not stellar
Not a lot of space, but adequate
Dinner was good but slow

Minuses (not many, may not bother some people)
No upgrade--I am a gold member who requested this room weeks in advance--put me on the top floor like I asked, and if possible give me a larger room
No tubs in many rooms, but good showers
Elevators are slow, older feeling
At least one restaurant in the in room guide had long since closed--update the guide people (at least the front desk staff knew about the mistake)
No METRA trains nearby

About sums it up. The value is hard to beat for a nice hotel like this, but certainly not a four star hotel and it does have an older but cozy feel. Overall thumbs up, but we did have some minor issues. If in the area again, we will probably stay here.

Room Tip: Top floor, ask for upgrade (though even with gold status we didn't get one)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to Chicago and the burbs. We were very pleased. The room was very clean, the climate control actually worked the way it was supposed to (compared to numerous other establishments). We had enough room to set up our baby's pack-n-play. I thought the beds were very comfy, but by hubby strongly disagreed (and since he travels frequently for business, that's why I include his input and gave this a 4 instead of a 5). The pool seemed nice (my 5 year old loved it). The elevators were extremely slow, but since we were in no rush, this wasn't a huge bother. I LOVE having a microwave and fridge when we travel. It helps SO much when traveling with children. The location couldn't be better. We easily drove into the city one day, picked up a friend from the El another (at O'Hare) and dropped a friend at the Metra in Roselle, just a 10 minute drive. Woodfield Mall, Whole Foods and a billion other places are one minute away. We actually ate most meals at Whole Foods so I can't review the hotel food. We did get beer from the bar, but found the selection to be quite limited. The ambiance of the hotel itself is quite inviting and just so very clean. Our room smelled like dirty feet to me, but nobody else noticed it. I almost called the front desk to just see if they could spray an industrial strength "oust" but didn't want to be difficult. All in all, I thought it was a very nice hotel, I would definitely stay here again. The staff was WAY above par - - very friendly and helpful (thanks Alexander!).

Room Tip: Another traveler mentioned the shower only...but our room had a bath, so feel free to request one if...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend to shop in Schaumburg. We got a great rate and it was in a perfect location but away from all the traffic. It's near to the Woodfield Mall and the other shopping centers in Schaumburg. I recommend it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg IL over 5 times in the past year, while on business. I have many choices in the area but this is one of the best business hotels I have stayed.

The staff is outstanding, and always make me feel welcome. The breakfast is tremendous and the chef makes the best omelets. Reliable, comfortable, and convenient.

I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevators are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg? Share your experiences!