“Great place to visit!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Legoland Discovery Center Chicago

Legoland Discovery Center Chicago
601 N. Martingale Road, Intersection of Higgins Road and Martingale Road near Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, IL 60173
+1 847-592-9700
Go Chicago Card
Ranked #2 of 5 Attractions in Schaumburg
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Amusement Parks
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit LEGOLAND Discovery Center and it's like you have just jumped into the world's biggest box of LEGO bricks! This indoor attraction offers 30,000 square feet of LEGO fun including two rides, a 4D movie theatre, a build and test zone where kids can build their own LEGO creations, Miniland - the Chicago skyline built from 1 million LEGO bricks, a soft play area, LEGO Star Wars Miniland, LEGO Factory Tour, Model Builder Workshop, LEGO Shop and Cafe. It's a fun place for LEGO fans young and old!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Cincinnati, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
“Great place to visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

First off, don't read the bad reviews on this place or any other children's activity place. I think what people fail to see is that these places are geared more towards kids and not adults. So of course an adult is going to say this place is lame and not worth their time nor money.
My husband and I took our 3 year old son here this past Saturday and he had a blast. We purchased tickets online- 3 tickets plus an activity pack came to $49. If you ask me, I didn't think it was that bad of a deal considering you pay about the same (sometimes more) if you go to any other museum. We also choose to come between 11-12pm. We walked in- didn't get hit by a long line to wait in. We were able to go through all of the Lego displays on our own time and wasn't rushed. All of the displays that moved were moving. Legoland has two rides inside, the first ride is a laser tag type ride. It allows 4 people to go at once- you ride through a little maze shooting a laser at the different targets. As a 27 year parent, I had fun.
On the upper level of Legoland is the 4D movie theater. Again, we didn't have to wait in line and we were able to pick where we wanted to sit. The only complaint I had was on the glasses provided for the 3D- The pairs we had, had dried water drops on the lens. This can easily be wiped off with your shirt but just tells me they're not sanitized after each use. Also upstairs is the Lego factory, building class, concessions and a play area. The Lego factory was very small but gave kids a general idea of how Lego's are made. We were the only ones that attended our factory tour. A Lego "souvenir" is given after the tour. It's a nice little piece for your child have if you're not planning on purchasing anything from the gift shop.
We didn't get a chance to attend the building class therefore, I do not have a comment. The play area is one of the last things we did. In this area is the second ride- Even though this area was the busiest of all, we didn't have to wait to get on the ride. The ride is a helicopter type ride- the faster you petal, the higher your helicopter goes up.
The play area consists of different building stations. Mostly promoting car building as they have different ramps you can race down. They also have a jungle gym to run through.

I didn't buy any food there so I do not know if it was worth what they were charging.

Overall, I think this was very well kept and in the end our son had a blast.

Visited November 2013
LDCChicagoteam, Guest Relations Manager at Legoland Discovery Center Chicago, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thanks for your review and feedback. I’m glad you and your family had a fun time. The glasses for the 4D movie theatre are washed after each use. We wash the glasses in a dishwasher and they can be difficult to dry. The water droplets would be from the dishwasher, not from the water spray in the movie. I hope this resolves your concern. We also wash the LEGO bricks in a washing machine too to try and keep everything as clean as possible. Thanks again for such an informative review. We hope to see you again soon.

Waunakee, Wisconsin
“Great for our 4 yr old boy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Staff was good. We arrived as soon as it opened so we got to do a lot of things without waiting.
Only thing I would change is to let guests into the lobby area at least if standing outside. It was cold and they waited until exactly 10am to let us in.
Otherwise, great experience!

Thanks for your positive review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Good idea about opening the doors – I will forward it on to our Operations Team. We hope to see you again soon.
Springfield, Illinois
“HUGE Disappointment!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We planned our trip as a birthday present for our niece and nephew. We got a package through the nearby Springhill Suites. Room and 4 tickets to Legoland for $128. The hotel was great and their staff was very courteous and helpful. However, Legoland was a waste of time and money. Our nephew (9 years old) loves to build with his legos. He was bored the entire time. He most enjoyed buying some legos in the store. The Lego Store in Woodfield Mall had a much wider variety of lego sets.The rides were lame. The displays were OK but none of the special effects at the displays were operational. The 6 year old had most fun at the play area like most McDonald's restaurants have. Based on other reviews I have read here, Legoland just apologizes for your experience and has done nothing to improve the facility. Bottom line, don't waste your money!!!!

Visited October 2013
Thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago. We are investing a lot of money to improve the center for spring 2014, so hopefully you will visit us again and have a more enjoyable experience.
Edgewood, KY
6 attraction reviews
“Fun for the whole family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place is awesome!! My son loved it. I read where it's recommended you stay 2-3 hours--my five year old son was there 7 hours!! We heard about birthday hats and I asked a staff member about it--she immediately stopped what she was doing and spent several minutes writing a special message on his hat (he then wore it all weekend wherever we went!). I was stunned at the level of personal service the employees gave--they interacted genuinely with every kid they saw. We had several positive experiences. My son loved every inch of this place. I recommend that you buy a figurine before you go and then bring it to trade with any of the staff there. I also recommend you buy the activity pass for $4.50 which will enhance your experience and give you coupons for the lego store, annual pass, and the cafeteria (the only not stellar experience. It might be nice if the cafeteria served healthier options and provided more seating.

Visited October 2013
LDCChicagoteam, Guest Relations Manager at Legoland Discovery Center Chicago, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for visiting and reviewing LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago! As an indoor entertainment facility aimed at children, we strive to ensure that every visit is positive and memorable. We are pleased to hear that you and your son had such a wonderful time and that he so enjoyed his birthday crown. Our staff will be excited to hear of your compliments, and we hope that you visit us again soon!
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Save your money and buy Legos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had out of town visitors who wanted to see Legoland. 3 girls, ages 11, 9 and 7. The cost was $75 for the 5 of us, plus another $25 for snacks. There are some interactive areas plus a couple of "rides." But for the most part you're just looking at Lego displays, which while impressive are really not worth the cost. $100 would have better spend adding real Legos to the girls' collection.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for visiting and reviewing LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago. We are sorry to hear that while you enjoyed the LEGO displays you did not feel you received a good value for money. We hope that if you decide to visit us again you take advantage of our discounted online tickets. As an indoor family-oriented facility, we consistently examine our site to bring new activities and areas for all our guests, and your review was very helpful to our process.