“Lovely restaurant in a beautiful village” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Dutch, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Tel. 020 4031525. Open 12.00 - 2400
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Lovely restaurant in a beautiful village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a delicious and inexpensive meal in De Witte Swaen. After soaking up the late afternoon sun and drinking beer on the front patio, we moved inside to eat. We ordered from the English menu ewe were given, which featured pannekoeken, or creeps. The was a huge selection and Our meal was delicious and filling. The only issue is that the Dutch menu seemed to be different -- much longer with more varied choices. We saw other tables enjoying more elaborate meals, while those who needed a menu in English only got to choose pannekoeken. We loved the food, but it would have beef nice to have a choice. It want only us, the people who came in after and were seated next to us were only given the limited menu. The service was very pleasant. Broek in Waterland is a magical place, and De Witte Swaen was a great place to end our visit there.

• Visited October 2013

Bochum
“Pancakes at its best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

"De Witte Swaen" in Broek in Waterland, about 20 Km north of Amsterdam, is of of the oldest Restaurants in the Netherlands. You can recognize that from the original Building the Restaurant is in. Anyway, the personnel is young, attentive and friendly and their pancakes are just wonderful.

They offer a huge variety from sweet to hearty and whatever we have tried over the last couple of years (going there every year at least twice during our summer holidays), we have not yet had any "mishit". The restaurant has also other dishes than pancakes on offer, but we have never tried these, so my evaluation is purely concerning their pancakes.

My ultimate recommendation is the pancake "De groene Weide" (the green meadow) which comes with pan-fried leek, bacon and loads of great dutch cheese. This is healthy and tasty at the same time.

We also like the atmosphere of the location. I only limit my score to 4 out of five as this is not "haute cuisine", but very well made plain fare. What they do, they do perfect.

Be aware - during summer (holiday period) this place ist mostly very sought after, temporarily crowded. I strongly recommend to make a reservation, even weekdays. And you may want to consider an early diner (recommend 6:30 p.m.) to avoid the "rush hour" in the restaurant. This keeps waiting time amazingly short (from order to meals served it may take less than 10 minutes) while in crowded periods waiting time can be up to +30 minutes.

We found this place by a recommendation of a holiday host already more than 10 years ago and we still get back there every year, also we have changed our holiday residence and from where we stay now it always takes 45 minutes of driving - but the entire family - yes, it is a great place for kids as well - enjoys it very much.

When you get there you must take a stroll around the nice pond in the center of Broek i.W. which is less than a minute away from the restaurant, and have a look at the beautifully restored houses, most of which a several hundred years old. I once asked a real estate broker for the price of one of the houses, that was for sale and on that occasion I found out, that Broek i.W. is basically the Beverly Hills of the Netherlands, where all the rich and the beautiful live: it was the big house at the one end of the a.m. pond, which nowadays is a luxury B&B and its price was EUR 2,5 million (that was back in 2003 I think)!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank trip-ert
Orlando, Florida
“Delicious however, why not more hot water to warm tea without charging.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The tour company that I hired suggested this restaurant so that my group could experience Dutch crepes. Never saw crepes this large and they were truly delicious. What I was upset about was that several of us ordered tea. It was brought to us long before the order came. Naturally, the water turned cool. I asked the server if we could have more hot water. She said that we would have to pay for another tea (almost 3 euros). Finally, after I complained to my guide that we were only asking for water, she finally brought a small pot of hot water. Then I asked her if we could have some cold tap water of which she said no. Well, again I complained to my guide and we got a small pitcher of water for 8 people. The bill came to almost 100 Euros and yes, I tipped the waitress. I will possibly bring another group back. However, I hope I don't have the problems I had this time. I realize that we are Americans and that dining in restaurants is a little different for us but I would think that this restaurant would want our business. She said that they didn't want people to come in for tea and just stay without ordering. We did order and our bill came to 100 Euros which I paid for my group. Note: we were all seniors.

Sorry but I had to express my feelings about the water situation.

This is a great experience and if you can visit this historic restaurant, please do. The town is so quaint.

Enjoy your crepe! My group loved theirs with bacon and apple. I had the dessert crepe with apple. I guarantee that you will never see crepes this large anywhere else...at these I don't think so.

• Visited August 2013
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
“Lekkere pannekoeken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This little restaurant looks more like a pub than a plain restaurant. The traditional dutch pancakes are their signature dish, and come in all types & tastes. Watch out, they are massive.
The big surprise was their cheese fondue, which was extremely good - and again way too much.
Friendly staff, fast service and reasonable prices

• Visited July 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Big choice of delicious pancakes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

The White Swan is a busy little restaurant situated in Broek-in-Waterland, 10 mins from Amsterdam.
We had our dog with us so needed to sit outside, but we did so happily on two occasions during our stay in Holland. Both nights we had lovely weather.
There is plenty to choose from - mainly pancakes, and some other specialities such as soup (I had Cream of Tomato served with warm French bread - tasted great). On our second visit we all had pancakes, all of which were far better than anything you get in the UK pancake-wise, but then that's to be expected! Very good quality indeed. Just be prepared for the sheer size of them!
Service was perfectly decent, and value too, but beware during the high season - the wasps spring into action and really will not leave you alone if you're sat outside, particularly in hot/sunny weather.

But otherwise, highly recommended. There isn't anywhere much else to go in the village and you won't be disappointed at the White Swan!