“Gold Status Means Nothing--Stay Elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Saint Charles
Springfield, Missouri
“Gold Status Means Nothing--Stay Elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I've stayed at Marriott properties--including Courtyard hotels--all over the world. This was the rudest I had ever encountered. Upon check-in at this hotel, I was curtly informed by Gaby, the clerk on duty, that Elite Gold status is not honored at this hotel. When I said that was odd as I've stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world and never experienced this kind of treatment, she shifted gears and said it was because I had used the AAA discount (I am gold at the auto club too) so I would not get breakfast, coffee or such. I replied this was crazy and she said, "yeah, a lot of people complain, but that's the way it is." Adding insult to injury was the fact that I could have stayed at the Hampton Inn for less across the street (with breakfast) or the Hilton Garden Inn for less with breakfast. When I drove down to the Hilton Garden Inn to pick up a colleague, I explained the situation. A clerk overheard me and asked if I was gold at Hilton. When I replied, "yes," she said I was welcome to a free breakfast although I was staying at the Courtyard! Guess where I am going when I return to Saint Charles in coming weeks? It sure ain't the Courtyard! So, I overpaid for a rude hotel with cold water in the shower (takes ten minutes to get warm) poor housekeeping, and paper thin walls. If you are used to Motel Six, then this place looks OK. If you are a business traveler, save your firm's money and stay at a less expensive and better hotel. This isn't Russia. You do have choices. I will NEVER give these clowns another dime of my money.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton Garden Inn or other Choices
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Fayaya,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you felt that your Gold Status with Marriott was not honored at our property. Of course we honor all of the Elite Member benefits at this hotel along with every other hotel in our portfolio. With over 3700 hotels, in 70 countries, it is important that we offer different types of benefits at each hotel in order to attract all different customer preferences. At Courtyard, we chose to offer our Bistro serving fresh food meals along with healthy options. A guest can order something as simple as a yogurt parfait, or order a full hot breakfast made to order. We also are proud to offer Starbucks coffee and specialty drinks. These have been very popular with our guests. With this offering, we are not able to offer another brand of complimentary coffee in our lobby. We do, though, offer in-room coffee that is the same brand of coffee we used to have as our complimentary lobby coffee before the Bistro opened.

Complimentary breakfast is not an amenity at Courtyard Hotels, but it is at several other brands including our Fairfield Inns, Springhill Suites, and Residence Inns. For Gold members, the concierge lounge is available in most full service Marriott hotels. Some of the Gold Member benefits included guaranteed rooms types, complimentary upgraded internet, 25% additional bonus points, priority late checkout, and more. As Gaby mentioned, the AAA rate does not include breakfast. All the information she gave you was correct, but she could have done a better job explaining it better so you would not feel that your Gold Status was not being honored. I sincerely apologize for that.

As I mentioned, all our brands target different customer preferences. We have many guests that love the Courtyard brand, as shown in our other Trip Advisor reviews. We do appreciate your Gold Member status with Marriott, but Courtyard may not be the brand for you. I am glad Marriott has many other hotel brands that will meet your needs. Thank you again for your comments. I will be sure to do some roll-playing with Gaby to help her explain our benefits better in the future.

Barbara Merigold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at the Courtyard Chicago St. Charles for a Family Wedding. The hotel staff we interacted with was excellent. The hotel in general and our room in particular were very clean. The location was very easy to get into and out of. The room seemed to be well insulated against noise from other rooms or the hallways. We stayed on the 2nd floor and did not hear any noise from the floor above us. The only negatives I would give them are: I thought the bed was pretty hard. It was not a pillow top. All of the pillows (6 of them) were extremely hard. They were some kind of feather pillow. The counter space around the sink is very small, and that was the only place they had to put the coffee maker. So not very much room for makeup bags, toothbrushes and other stuff you would like to lay there. We had 4 adults staying in the room and they only provided 3 big towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash clothes. But they did willingly give us another big towel when my husband went downstairs and asked. Really a very nice and clean hotel.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while attending a wedding. Our staff looks forward to every wedding as it is such a fun time for everyone. Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments about your stay.
Morton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Clean. Comfortable. Courteous staff. This is newly redecorated and consistent with Courtyards across the country. The staff welcomed us and we had a quick check in.Close to downtown and restaurants.Free Parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff and our newly remodeled hotel. We are glad that you chose our hotel for your visit to St Charles. Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
Monroe Center, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had over 50 rooms booked for our wedding party and out of town wedding guests at this hotel. I couldn't have been more pleased with EVERYTHING this hotel did for our guests, the bride, and our family to ensure a great experience. From setting up the room block to adding rooms as they booked, to distributing 110 gift bags for our guests...the staff were fabulous. Our guests complimented the nice rooms and service. Our wedding group took over the spacious and recently remodeled lobby all weekend. It was the perfect venue. On wedding day, the hotel even helped organize the shuttles to the wedding.

Great hotel for one night, a week or a place to host many out of town guests.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I am so glad you had a wonderful time with your family and friends last weekend at the wedding. Your group was very fun. It is always a pleasure for us to make a bride's wedding day perfect in every way. Thank you for sharing you experience on Trip Advisor. We were so glad to have you stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Nice and clean hotel! Look like it has been remodeled. Need to provide free breakfast to keep up with competitor. If we didn't have the free Marriott Rewards, we would have stayed elsewhere that offered a free breakfast.

• Stayed October 2014
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
I am so glad to hear that you loved our remodeled hotel. We are very happy to have such a beautiful hotel to share with our guests. Regarding the breakfast, Courtyard made the decision to get away from the traditional breakfast buffet. Instead, we make all our breakfast items fresh and made-to- order. We are able to have more of a variety that way, and we are able to offer some heathly options for our guests. We also have the honor of serving Starbuck's coffee. Next time you are with us, give our Bistro a try and let us know what you think. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

I recently stayed at this courtyard in St. Charles, IL. The hotel was recently re-modeled and the rooms and décor are great.

The wings and pizza are off the hook

The staff is the most friendly Marriott staff in the country. They completely go out of their way to ensure you get everything you need.

Try this courtyard its the best one in the USA

Room Tip: Rooms in the North side of the building are really quiet
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, September 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you chose our hotel to visit when you come to St. Charles because it is aways a pleasure to see you. The staff loves having you here. Both you and your associates are always fun to be around. We are lucky to have a guest like you Mr. S. We look forward to all your future travels.
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

Quick check in, very very clean, no unpleasant smells in room, beautiful sheets, balcony outside room, super nice sofa couch, walking distance to papa johns and a small shopping center.. shopping center not awesome but itll do... only thing i didnt like was there was no microwave in room or on floor... there is one down stairs in the lobby

Stayed September 2014
BMERIGOLD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
I am so glad to hear you had an excellent stay. We are very happy with our renovated hotel, and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it as well. You mentioned that there were no unpleasant smells in room. Part of that is because we do not have the microwaves in the room. We do keep a microwave in our lobby, and our Bistro staff can also help to warm up any food or beverages for our guests. We feel that is the best option to keep our rooms smelling clean and fresh. Thank you for sharing your kind comments about the hotel.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chicago St. Charles? Share your experiences!