“No repeat business here.....” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Baker
100 West Main Street, Saint Charles, IL 60174   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Saint Charles
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“No repeat business here.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My husband knows I love boutique hotels. He drove past this one on a recent drive through St. Charles and was sure I would love this place! He got online when he got home and secretly booked their Valentine package which included the room, dinner for 2 at Rox City (their restaurant), champage and breakfast in the room the following morning. He can't keep a secret so he spilled the beans before the trip :) I was able to read about their history and saw photos on their website before we went...I wasn't bowled over but it looked nice enough and I was game - plus I would have never rained on my husband's parade :) since he was sweet enough to think of this.

We pulled up and I loved the old exterior of the building and when I first stepped inside the doors. That was about it.......There are some charming parts of the original hotel still intact like the elevator facades, the old mail drop and I assume the beautiful marble floors and some stained glass. Everything else that was done in the renovation (how many decades ago WAS that renovation???) was done as cheaply as possible and by the looks of it, by a weekend handyman. The walls are just slathered with what looks like bucket loads of joint compound and they and the cheap trim are all painted in a semi-gloss beige. It looks terrible. Then the rooms are a great big let-down. We reserved a riverview room on the 5th floor and it resembled a bedroom at my grandmother's house. Cheap lamps, a builder-grade brass overhead light, super cheap closet doors.....the bathroom didn't have a tub, just a full size shower with a plastic floor and shower curtain, a bad caulk job around a window and the mirror was a cheap plastic mold meant to look like a guilded mirror. Everythng about the room felt like a motel room from the 70's.

The restaurant gets mixed reviews. The food and service was very good, if not ridiculously overpriced. The atmosphere/decor, however, was absolutely nothing special whatsoever. I would have preferred the Irish Pub across the street for a more authentic dining experience. It was like trying to sell Ethan Allen at Target.

The location is good, service was adequate, but not special and the aesthetic quality of the place was poor. I have stayed in old Holiday Inn's that felt newer and nicer. If it is good location in St. Charles you are looking for and have no expectations, this is probably fine. If it is a special weekend, or the enjoyment of a nice boutique &/or historic hotel experience you are looking for, definitely pass on this one!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I booked the Baker for their New Year's Eve package for myself & my fiance. We were celebrating the New Year and his birthday on the 31st of December. The package included Dinner, Dancing, etc. I also invited another couple to join us in the celebration and was definitely embarrased and disappointed. The experience will definitely be one to remember. Details are as follows:
Friday
>excitedly checked in to room 510 jacuzzi room. Had been advised rooms were recently remodeled...1st dissapointment. Room was cleaner & larger at the Hampton where I put my kids.
>had reservations for dinner at 900pm. We were seating in the center of the room with servers walking by us with no acknowledgement until about 30minutes later as I was about to get up to see what the issue was. May have been more bearable had we been sat with a riverview, like requested in advance...Didnt get water until about 10minutes after that...When the server returned about 10pm to take our orders it then took another 20minutes for our soup & salads to come...another 45minutes before we got our meal. And by the time they brought our dessert it was after 11pm. By 1130pm we received the bill of approx 180.00 for the four of us...keep in mind my meal was already charged on my room...So we went back to our room for the last thirty minutes of the year to celebrate, which we could have done without spending over 400.00 for the night of disappointment.
To make matters even worse today on my bank statement they charged me for the package and the dinners...after saying they would comp the dinners since they knew the service was horrendous. So I have to contact them again to get it rectified.

As someone who books rooms for both personal and professional purposes I would never utilize the hotel in either way in the future. Like I mentioned in the title we could have stayed at the Hampton for a quarter of the price and had much better service. Very Disappointing

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Loogootee, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

This hotel was great! It is a very historical hotel and has recently been renovated. The rooms were very luxurious and the staff was very attentive to every need. The breakfast was brought to our room and was excellent!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Hotel Baker was exactly what I thought it would be by the pictures and website. I have always enjoyed staying at different hotels especially ones of historic value. The hotel itself has so much charm and character. From the arched walkways and the old historic check in counter, the old mail box and the MOST enjoyable the Rainbow Room. How romantic the Rainbow Room is. I do understand that some people may write bad reviews but I feel most of the reasoning behind that is because they do not appreciate older buildings. Most people these days are used to staying at new, up to date, modern hotels like a Westin or W. Which are both lovely, but in their own way. Either way myself and partner loved our stay at Hotel Baker and we WILL return to Hotel Baker in the future for whatever the reason.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Knightstown, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I'm glad I read some of the bad reviews of this place long after we'd booked our travel. I was afraid we'd find a real dump. That was not our experience. Our room (suite #212) was spacious and, to my tastes, luxurious. The jacuzzi-tub wasn't working, but the shower was great (all I wanted), there were plenty of large clean towels, two nice big white terry robes in the closet, a big working flat screen TV in the sitting room (plus a CRT in the bedroom, though we never turned it on), a working coffee pot, ice right across the hall, everything I'd expect or even hope for and more. Maid came by in the evening and gave us the best cookies I've ever eaten and offered more coffee, towels, or whatever we needed. Room was clean and nicely decorated. This is a very old building to be sure, and some of the refurbishing has been second rate (e.g., windows were updated cheaply, though adequately) and some of the finish work is less than top quality, though still much better than you typically find in a modestly priced chain motel.
Those accustomed to spending $200 + for a nights lodging might be disappointed, but we usually keep it closer to $60, wanting only a clean bed, a hot shower, and a working TV. We were looking to splurge on something a little classier this time and wanted to be downtown for an early event the next morning. All in all I think we got our moneys worth, especially this close to Chicago, and had a very pleasant stay in any case.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was the most unpleasant, distasteful lodging experience I have ever had. Shock & disbelief were my immediate reactions when I saw the suite that I was paying $219 a night for. I would be amazed if this place has been updated in any way in the past 50 years. The furnishings in the room were old, dated and dirty. The lobby, hallways and common areas were seedy and uncared for, and the entire building smelled like dirty river water. Our so-called river view was difficult to appreciate since the windows had not been cleaned in years, and definitely needed replacing. Needless to say, we found every excuse possible to be out of our room, and left immediately the next morning happily forfeiting the complimentary breakfast.

In addition to the appalling condition of the property, the hotel staff consisted of high school students who were untrained and unprepared to assist guests in any way. When asked for restaurant recommendations, the front desk clerk told me that she really knew nothing about any of the restaurants in town but her parents liked the Italian eatery across the street. The Catholic Church we were sent to the following Sunday morning turned out to be a Methodist Church.

I will never return to this horrible establishment, and will go out of my way to warn people about it. I am amazed that there are other reviewers who found anything good to wriite about.

• Stayed August 2010
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010 via mobile

I could write a Novel but decided to keep it short and sweet. We had our wedding here and were completely disappointed by the hotel staff and owner! Everything was great until the week before our wedding. Food was good service was only o.k. Rooms could be cleaner. Cake vendor from hotel referral totally screwed up cake colors! At least the cake tasted good! We wanted to stay longer but we were so upset with the hotel we decided to leave. Also a big disappointment because we wanted to return for our wedding anniversaries and after the neglectful attitude of the owner we will never return!!!

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!