“Historically CHARMING!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Saint Charles
Chicago, Illinois
“Historically CHARMING!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Hotel Baker was exactly what I thought it would be by the pictures and website. I have always enjoyed staying at different hotels especially ones of historic value. The hotel itself has so much charm and character. From the arched walkways and the old historic check in counter, the old mail box and the MOST enjoyable the Rainbow Room. How romantic the Rainbow Room is. I do understand that some people may write bad reviews but I feel most of the reasoning behind that is because they do not appreciate older buildings. Most people these days are used to staying at new, up to date, modern hotels like a Westin or W. Which are both lovely, but in their own way. Either way myself and partner loved our stay at Hotel Baker and we WILL return to Hotel Baker in the future for whatever the reason.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Knightstown, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I'm glad I read some of the bad reviews of this place long after we'd booked our travel. I was afraid we'd find a real dump. That was not our experience. Our room (suite #212) was spacious and, to my tastes, luxurious. The jacuzzi-tub wasn't working, but the shower was great (all I wanted), there were plenty of large clean towels, two nice big white terry robes in the closet, a big working flat screen TV in the sitting room (plus a CRT in the bedroom, though we never turned it on), a working coffee pot, ice right across the hall, everything I'd expect or even hope for and more. Maid came by in the evening and gave us the best cookies I've ever eaten and offered more coffee, towels, or whatever we needed. Room was clean and nicely decorated. This is a very old building to be sure, and some of the refurbishing has been second rate (e.g., windows were updated cheaply, though adequately) and some of the finish work is less than top quality, though still much better than you typically find in a modestly priced chain motel.
Those accustomed to spending $200 + for a nights lodging might be disappointed, but we usually keep it closer to $60, wanting only a clean bed, a hot shower, and a working TV. We were looking to splurge on something a little classier this time and wanted to be downtown for an early event the next morning. All in all I think we got our moneys worth, especially this close to Chicago, and had a very pleasant stay in any case.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was the most unpleasant, distasteful lodging experience I have ever had. Shock & disbelief were my immediate reactions when I saw the suite that I was paying $219 a night for. I would be amazed if this place has been updated in any way in the past 50 years. The furnishings in the room were old, dated and dirty. The lobby, hallways and common areas were seedy and uncared for, and the entire building smelled like dirty river water. Our so-called river view was difficult to appreciate since the windows had not been cleaned in years, and definitely needed replacing. Needless to say, we found every excuse possible to be out of our room, and left immediately the next morning happily forfeiting the complimentary breakfast.

In addition to the appalling condition of the property, the hotel staff consisted of high school students who were untrained and unprepared to assist guests in any way. When asked for restaurant recommendations, the front desk clerk told me that she really knew nothing about any of the restaurants in town but her parents liked the Italian eatery across the street. The Catholic Church we were sent to the following Sunday morning turned out to be a Methodist Church.

I will never return to this horrible establishment, and will go out of my way to warn people about it. I am amazed that there are other reviewers who found anything good to wriite about.

• Stayed August 2010
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010 via mobile

I could write a Novel but decided to keep it short and sweet. We had our wedding here and were completely disappointed by the hotel staff and owner! Everything was great until the week before our wedding. Food was good service was only o.k. Rooms could be cleaner. Cake vendor from hotel referral totally screwed up cake colors! At least the cake tasted good! We wanted to stay longer but we were so upset with the hotel we decided to leave. Also a big disappointment because we wanted to return for our wedding anniversaries and after the neglectful attitude of the owner we will never return!!!

• Stayed August 2010
Geneva, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

The hotel is definitely historical. We attended a party in the banquet room. However the service was nothing to be desired. The room was beautiful with a view overlooking the river. All was fine until we went into the Restaurant and the owner of the Hotel was sitting at a table with a few others. He was there for a while, and just before we left we over heard him say, after he got his bill, he didn't need to leave the server a tip because he signs there check and they can't do a thing about it. Hotel might be amazing, but I refuse to recommend this hotel to anyone and I refuse to give them anymore of my money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Our room was disgusting, I don't even know where to begin. We purchased a suite and the first thing we noticed was that it smelled musty upon entering. We walked into our sitting room and there was a T.V. from probably 1992, with NO REMOTE. There was a couch and a chair, and the arm rests on both we dirty, like people wiped their hand on them and no one ever cleaned it off.

The next thing we did was walk into the bedroom to discover the MOST uncomfortable, and VERY OLD king sized mattress I've ever seen. The mattress squeaked and you sank WAY down into it because it was so old and saggy. When sitting on the old saggy bed I looked at the wall and saw HUGE scuff marks of black in three different places, I think it must've been ten years since they last painted and 20 since they've bought new curtains.

I walked into the "spa" bathroom and it was no better than the rest. The wall paper was peeling off all over the place and the "spa" tub was a one person tub with no back or feet jets, only jets on the sides of the tub.

It was so bad that we ended up leaving after just one night, we had no idea where we were going, but we knew we wouldn't spend 200.00 a night to stay in this dirty old place again. Some historical hotels are gorgeous and worth the money, but this one was not at all. In this hotel they lean on the word historical so that they don't have to renovate or make an effort.

I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have stayed at the Hotel Baker perhaps 50 nights over the past year and found it to be the best value for the money in the area. I previously stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is your typical box motel without character. Then I tried the Herrington Inn in Geneva and found it to be nice but overpriced and of lower value. The Hotel Baker does lack parking on the property and in the winter or during rain that makes the walk from on street parking or the nearby municipal (free parking) more of a hassle. None the less, the staff are outstanding and they work very hard to ensure that guests are treated to a high level of service. The lounge is very comfortable for an after work drink of dinner.

For anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay, which is quiet and offers the services which are important to frequent travelers, the Hotel baker is the place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!