“This hotel has character!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Baker
100 West Main Street, Saint Charles, IL 60174   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Saint Charles
Illinois
“This hotel has character!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We loved this hotel! It is old, but so nicely maintained. The staff was very attentive. We had a plumbing problem with our first room, and maintenance was there in just a few minutes. We were moved to a room with an screened balcony with a hot tub, overlooking the river. The bathroom had a whirlpool tub, the bed was so comfortable, and everything was so clean and well maintained.
There was a buftet breakfast with again, very attentive staff.
It was a very beautiful venue for a wedding.
When we checked out, we were surprized that our room was discounted because of the inconvenience..The room upgrade would have been more than enough.
We never saw where the parking was for the hotel. We parked on the bridge, after circling the block a few times. We heard there is a city lot across the street. Maybe a sign outside directing the guests to the parking area would be helpful..

Room Tip: The room with the balcony and hot tub was great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

family and I stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a visit from England for my brothers wedding. Upon our arrival with our 19 month old twins we were told that they did not have our reservation for that day and that the hotel was fully booked and had been for two months insinuating that it was my mistake. Since I had made the reservation by phone and had adjusted the original booking I had no evidence to prove that I had made the booking. We were offered a cursory sorry in a very unapologetic manner by a rather rude manager and were told we would need alternative accommodations (it was after 4pm at this point) anyone with young children knows how difficult it is moving around with travel cots and everything else that goes with it. I was very upset by the way we were treated. I had wondered why the rating on here had not been higher considering the reputation of the hotel and its step room rate, I now see at least part of the reason and wish I had read the reviews more carefully. Once in the room it was reasonable but the decor was very dated and the whole place seemed like it needed a good clean. The breakfast was a buffet offering only one hot item, very poor for a hotel charging such a premium rate. Watch out for the water in the rooms, it comes with a $5 price tag! The hotel has the potential to be amazing and the wedding reception we attended there was fantastic but we got the impression that it was simply trading off it's historic reputation and very little care seemed to be directed towards ensuring a high standard of service or accommodation for hotel guests. Many of the reception staff were very young and whilst pleasant had not been adequately trained and were unable to assist us with most of our queries, this may have led to the mix up with our booking as the young man who made my booking said there was so problem with adding the a night which the manager told us had been booked for months. I do not recommend a stay here, even the penthouse suite had dead flies trapped in cobwebs on the stairs. I have stayed in many historic hotels and modern hotels both in the USA and Europe and this has without doubt been the poorest service I have ever received with the most disappointing accommodations for the price tag.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the road - they are VERY noisy! One of our family's rooms was so warm due to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HBRepresentative, Manager at Hotel Baker, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
We are sorry about your extreme disappointment. We are a historic, boutique hotel and privately owned. We have updated our guest rooms and suites in the recent year or two. Our goods are fabricated by a professional fabricator who deals with hospitality. They are reputable with high end hotel chains. The breakfast served is a continental breakfast which typically do not include any hot items - ours does include one hot item. Should you wish to place an order of any other item - the kitchen will certain try to accommodate should it be available. All one needs to do is make a request. We have had great reviews about our fresh pastries, fresh fruit display, our superb coffee and other items that are served during breakfast. We are also located next to the Fox River. The challenge of "river life" is the bugs. There are many bugs by the river and we do our very best to maintain and contain them. There is a time during the year that the concerns are much greater, but our pest control experts have been able to assist us, especially with spiders that regenerate their web in a moment's notice. The spiders are quite industrious. Our wedding guests do receive a lower rate due to the wedding block that the bride and groom reserve for their guests. The pricing is competitive and reasonable at best. Come and visit us at Hotel Baker where midwest hospitality is at its best. Thank you for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

So my wife and I have been to a lot of hotels and resorts but it was our anniversary and I work a lot so trying to find something last minute while not having to travel far I came across a wonderful person her name is jennifer She said to try out her hotel I was like ok didn't really think anything about it arrived there about 7 pm I walked in and I was totally shocked it was one of the most beautiful hotels yeah it might be a older hotel but the inside of it is way above par the cleanest of clean the front desk workers where the most polite and professional you will ever encounter so we get our room which was the baker suite I highly recommend this room the room was huge clean and just great views plus riverfest was going on so our room over looked that it was amazing and thanks to Jennifer and her wonderful staff this was our best anniversary ever thanks so much for a memorable experience

• Stayed June 2013
columbus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Was here for a work trip in mid June. I have to say that this was by far the worst hotel that I have been at for a conference in my career. The rooms were very outdated, and so loud... the doors weigh about 50 lbs and you have to slam them to get them to shut. The food was inedible... even breakfast and not sure how that is possible.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry about your disappointment. Our hotel guest rooms and suites have been updated in the past year or so by a reputable fabricator who deals with high end hotel chains. We have completed all the rooms and currently updating the penthouse to date. The doors going into the guest rooms are from 1928. They are servidors used back in the 1928 and on. They may be heavy but have a historic nature and must stay at the hotel. I do not believe one needs to slam the doors shut - noted a young boy closing it without any problems. Should the food be inedible, please consider bringing it up to the server or manager. That can be remedied should you voice your disappointment. Our breakfast display has received good reviews - fresh pastries, fresh fruit display, cereals, juices, scrambled eggs and superb tasting coffee. Breakfast is a great start of the day and we try to make sure the guests are accommodated as needed. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our small abode very soon.
Dixon, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the hotel June 1st, first walked in loved the look, the room was ok. The bed was nothing special. Took a hot bath turned on the jets and out came black mold in the bath. When we were leaving told the the staff at the desk and she was young and said oh, sorry. For the money not worth the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are sorry about your experience. We do not have a mold problem at the Hotel Baker. The black color you noted may have been due to hot water residue which homes may experience. Should you have experienced that and immediately called the front desk and summoned a manager, I am certain your concerns would have been remedied - assurance that it's not mold OR a change of room if you desired. Our housekeeping staff would have gladly run your bath and made sure that no black color would be noted. Indeed, we apologize for your disappointment. We hope you can come back and enjoy the Hotel Baker located in the heart of downtown St. Charles. Thank you!
Wood Dale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a mid-week overnight bicycle trip where we stayed at the Baker Hotel for one night. The rate was more than I originally wanted to spend but the hotel proved to be the highlight of our trip and well worth the money. Stepping into the lobby of the hotel feels like stepping back to a more elegant era. If you are looking for a thoroughly modern hotel with lots of electronic gadgets in the room this isn't the place for you but if the nostalgia of a a bygone era appeals to you then I would highly recommend this property. The front desk staff were extremely courteous and helpful, both in handling our reservation and when we checked in and out. I really appreciated that they allowed us to bring our bikes up to our room. I was able to enjoy our stay more because I didn't have to worry about our bikes being stolen. My only complaint was that the pillows were a little too big and left me with a sore neck. I'm sure the front desk could have provided other pillows but we were already in bed before I realized it and we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had been to Hotel Baker years ago for work, and hadn't been back until this past week for another company meeting. What a nice surprise! It was so clean and well kept; the food was amazing, and the service was unbelievable. A real gem. The service at our meeting was over the top good. Devin took care of us, letting us know when she was leaving her shift and who would take care of our needs when she was gone. The bartender - Matt - served a mean Cosmo and gave us the best food recommendations - the filet sliders are out of this world. My husband loved the Madagascar Prawn and we split the Lobster Roll. See pictures. I would highly recommend this place. The bed was just right - not too hard nor soft and the pillows varied - so both my husband and I were happy (he likes hard and I like soft). The room was spacious, with a hot strong shower and high quality shower amenities. The only improvement recommendation would be to offer more items at breakfast - perhaps oatmeal, bacon, or english muffins - they only had bread, fruit, cereal, and scambled eggs. Yet, that was a small thing for us, as the fruit selection was good. BTW - the location is right on the river and on Main Street, so you are close to other bars and restaurants if you so choice. We loved McNally's Irish Pub and ZaZa for Italian.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!