“Classic Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Saint Charles
Wood Dale, Illinois
“Classic Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a mid-week overnight bicycle trip where we stayed at the Baker Hotel for one night. The rate was more than I originally wanted to spend but the hotel proved to be the highlight of our trip and well worth the money. Stepping into the lobby of the hotel feels like stepping back to a more elegant era. If you are looking for a thoroughly modern hotel with lots of electronic gadgets in the room this isn't the place for you but if the nostalgia of a a bygone era appeals to you then I would highly recommend this property. The front desk staff were extremely courteous and helpful, both in handling our reservation and when we checked in and out. I really appreciated that they allowed us to bring our bikes up to our room. I was able to enjoy our stay more because I didn't have to worry about our bikes being stolen. My only complaint was that the pillows were a little too big and left me with a sore neck. I'm sure the front desk could have provided other pillows but we were already in bed before I realized it and we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had been to Hotel Baker years ago for work, and hadn't been back until this past week for another company meeting. What a nice surprise! It was so clean and well kept; the food was amazing, and the service was unbelievable. A real gem. The service at our meeting was over the top good. Devin took care of us, letting us know when she was leaving her shift and who would take care of our needs when she was gone. The bartender - Matt - served a mean Cosmo and gave us the best food recommendations - the filet sliders are out of this world. My husband loved the Madagascar Prawn and we split the Lobster Roll. See pictures. I would highly recommend this place. The bed was just right - not too hard nor soft and the pillows varied - so both my husband and I were happy (he likes hard and I like soft). The room was spacious, with a hot strong shower and high quality shower amenities. The only improvement recommendation would be to offer more items at breakfast - perhaps oatmeal, bacon, or english muffins - they only had bread, fruit, cereal, and scambled eggs. Yet, that was a small thing for us, as the fruit selection was good. BTW - the location is right on the river and on Main Street, so you are close to other bars and restaurants if you so choice. We loved McNally's Irish Pub and ZaZa for Italian.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel does have charm. There is a nice bar and the river view rooms have a nice view. However, the rooms are not really updated. There is a flat screen tv and tile in the bathroom but old carpet and furnishings. Rooms are also quite small. The price tag on the rooms are pretty high too. However, it is a perfect location to walk the downtown of St. Charles and I always wanted to stay here so we tried it!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the river view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HBRepresentative, Manager at Hotel Baker, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
We are sorry you were disapponted and thought our rooms were outdated. We have been undergoing a renovation of guest rooms and suites for the past year or two - done in phases as the property is privately owned. We hope you are able to return and enjoy the guest rooms and suites with updated beddings, drapery, flooring and flat screen televisions. Thank you for your feedback - we look forward to having you visit us again!
Northville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Loved the historic Baker Hotel. It was very cozy and the staff all very friendly and helpful especially Georgeanne. The only issue was the very soft bed that needs a new mattress.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Baker on the 4th of July. They really have a great package that includes viewing the fireworks from their riverfront patio. It was our first stay and we were very pleased. The room was clean, spacious, and had so much character. The only real complaint was that they did not have a server or bar on the patio so we had to go into the restaurant bar to get our own drinks. Also, they did not have valet parking that day. The parking structure is only 1 block or so away, but it was brutally hot and we would have preferred valet parking.

Room Tip: Riverfront views are beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had a business trip and when I asked a friend about place to go and not to go she insisted I stay at the Hotel Baker even if it made my commute a bit longer. She was right on the money! This historic hotel was a fantastic place to stay.

The town area around the hotel was very nice as well. I ate in a different pub or establishement every night I was there and I don't recall a single bad meal at any of the locations.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Baker for 7 days while in St. Charles regarding my profession.

A great surprise is in store for anyone who selects Hotel Baker. Its like stepping back in time of the Grand Hotels - but a smaller version but warm and elegant. First class front desk folks, friendly and efficient bellmen, housekeepers are perfect. The bartenders are two of the best I've ever found. A "perfect" martini is hard to beat. And, the restaurant is 5 stars in my opinion -- huge bone-in rib eye or rack of lamb all served in updated surroundings with an antique feel. Very unique.

You will not be disappointed at the Hotel Baker.

The small hotel opened in 1928

Room Tip: Any room will be perfect!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!