“Super Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Saint Charles
Geneva, Illinois
“Super Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a great hotel. My wife and I stayed here on my birthday. The rooms are excellent and the beds are wonderful. It has a great restaurant and a nice bar. Friendly and helpful staff. The location of this hotel is excellent and you have many bars, shops and restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Rochelle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

On my wife and I spent the night at the Hotel Baker. Our room was beautifully decorated, plenty large enough for a king bed, all very comfortable and homey. We actually saw two rooms...the first did not have a Fox River view, and the very gracious and friendly desk clerk was happy to change it for us. Regarding parking (I see from a few previous reviews that there were some complaints), I too was a bit surprised that parking was in a parking deck off site. But, turned out, it was only a half block away, easy to get to.....and, believe it or not....FREE...a rarity it seems to me for right downtown city/suburb hotels. Had an excellent, reasonably priced meal in the hotel restaurant, ROX City Grill. And it was fun to dine with live music, a gentleman doing vocals as he played the piano....I believe a 3 nights a week feature. The entire history of the building of the Hotel was fun to learn about. Also fun to roam the 2 banquet rooms, one featuring a unique "lights in the floor" dance floor. Breakfast was complimentary with lots of fresh fruit and a hot entree besides. We recommend the Baker.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed at the Baker on a Thursday night and found it lovely. It was surprisingly quiet, given its location on a busy street. The rose garden was very pretty with spring flowers and tidy hedges and the proximity to the Fox River and a variety of restaurants was very convenient. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. This is a small historic hotel - very nice if that is what you are looking for.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed on business trip and was leery about an old hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a lot of character but the room I stayed in with river view was very up to date and quiet. The service was fantastic with fresh baked cookies delivered to the room and the price included a large fresh cooked breakfast also delivered to my room, which I could not finish. There were robes in the room and the towels where plush and fluffy. The bed was comfortable and the room temp was easy to maintain to my liking, Very fast free wireless. I will stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Recommend the river side
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Baker for the first time. The room was clean but nothing special... probably will not return. The location is good with restaurants and bars within close walking distance. I will say the bed was very comfortable and really nothing to complain about for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Baker on New Year's Eve.

Prior to our stay we called three times to get more information. Twice we spoke with individuals who couldn't answer questions like "do you have any rooms available" and "what is included in the package that you are promoting on line." Once they had to call us back, and another time he simply said he didn't know. Then, asked if I needed anything else. Odd.The third time we called, we spoke with Jacqueline who seemed far more knowledgeable. But, to be fair, the bar was pretty low.

When we arrived, (there were two couples) our husbands went to grab a six-pack of micro brews so that they could relax while we got ready. The two of us opened a bottle of champagne to enjoy while we prepped. When the two men returned, they told us that they had been greeted by a doorman (we could have used him on our way in with all of our luggage) and some other staff. Everyone was pleasant to them as they walked through the lobby with the six-pack (no bag).

But then we got a knock on our room door. The manager came to confiscate the beer they had brought up. We found this extremely odd. The staff throughout the lobby could have easily informed them that they couldn't take any beer into the room, but they didn't. Instead, they reported what they saw to the manager--making an issue. To add insult to injury, the manager brought up the paperwork that we'd signed when we checked in. To illustrate to our husbands that they were breaking the rules. I was the person that signed it, and frankly I did not read every line - I should probably be put in jail.

It was really, really uncomfortable and the experience took us back at least 15 years. We are not typically rule-breakers. We weren't at all disruptive. We simply were unaware of the rule. There was no need to make such a big deal.

About the hotel: The location does not have ideal parking, I saw that in another post - it's accurate. The service is hit or miss. We had a doorman every 3rd time we went outside and I mentioned the wealth of knowledge you run into at the front desk. The rooms are quaint, but there are far too many great hotels out there to go to one that has such poor management and service.

Seriously, keep looking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Andalusia, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Nice place and close to downtown and the fox river. The hotel is old but nice and very comfortable. I would stay again. Price is good and looked like the food and bar areas are nice. This area would be a romantic area for a couples get away. Arcada Theatre right across the river and is a good place for entertainment.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!