“Memories of a Lifetime” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Saint Charles
Aurora, Illinois
“Memories of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had my wedding at the Hotel Baker on 10-10-10 which is quite a busy weekend for St. Charles since that was the weekend of Scarecrow Festival. But the hotel was super accomodating for as busy as they were. They helped especially with unloading of our older guest in front of the hotel and the parking was only down the street and was not a huge inconvienence at all. Our wedding was wonderful every detail was absoulutely perfect...our wedding planner which I got two weeks before our wedding since my original planner had resigned made sure that eveything was perfect from the table decor to the dinner. I have only rave reviews....I have had many of our guests tell us that is was the best wedding that they have even been to. If you are planning a wedding ....have it here you will not regret it and the Rainbow Room is just fantastic.
We recently celebrated our 1st Anniversary and have had our 1 year old cake and it was still fabulous. I think I am one of the only couple's that I know that enjoyed their cake a year later. We also went back to the hotel to celebrate our anniversary....and it was wonderful!! My husband and I plan to go back every year to celebrate our anniversary. The staff the was part of our wedding was absolutely fabulous and we cannot thank enough for the memories that I will have for a lifetime.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I travel to the area frequetnly - and always stayed at the Herrigton Inn in Geneva, which I highly recommend. When I tried to book this stay, the Herrington was full and they recommended the Hotel Baker. I booked based on the Herrington's recommendation in spite of the reviews here - big mistake. The location is great - on the river in the middle of a strip of nice restaurants and shops, just like the Herrington. The similarities end there. I arrived at the hotel around 9 and the front door wouldn't open. I had to buzz to have the sole attendant let me in and she knew my name (only guest who hadn't checked in already). The lobby oozed of (very) faded grandeur, as I would find did the rest of the hotel. After checking in, I asked if there was a soda machine and she instructed me to take the elevator to the lower level, which was essentially a semi-finished basement. The room was the worst part. I had a "suite" with a small, sparse room that looked more like a prison cell than a living area. The bedroom had a similar cell-ish feel, with I can only assume was intentionally drab bedding and window treatments (so you can't tell what's fedad and dirty and what's just that color). The whole place had a feel of asbestos and despar - and sort of reminded me of my grandparents apartment what I was nine... All this for only $189 a night! Stay away....

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed two nights Sept. 18-19, right after TexasLizH was there, and second her comments about the perilous loading zone in front, bugs, and staying next time at the Herrington in Geneva.

“No, sir, there won’t be anything available,” the agent repeated several times when we attempted to check in early and asked her to look nonetheless. Lo and behold, a room was indeed available.

Although the room was large with nice lamps, it was sparsely furnished and the “river view” was over the roof and a/c unit. The window had some odd upgrading/renovation of a new sliding window constructed over the original paned metal window, wherein you could slide open the new window and access the original window for ventilation, thus preserving the original window in an equally odd museum case of flaking paint, rusting metal, and mildew, highlighting a mass of cobwebs, flies and bugs on the outside.

Bad things: a hole in the carpet that had been paint sprayed in an attempt at camouflage; holes in bed linens; housekeeping did not replace used glasses; shower curtain supporting rod broken; plastic glasses (wrapped in plastic a la Motel 6) provided in bathroom; staff who smoke do so right outside the front entrance, thus ensuring a lung full of smoke upon exiting

Sad things: a historic property once grand, now in sad disrepair with surly staff. The Writing Room is charming, although dark, and the cords to the lamps on the desks are cut even though there appear to be outlets beneath the desks. The broken flagpole atop the building sorta sums it up.

Curious things: Nice music in the dining room at breakfast (included & served until 9:30; eggs discolored and rubbery at 9), but when we asked the attendant to turn down the volume slightly, she said it wasn’t possible because there was a note from the owner on the stereo equipment not to touch. She did think, however, she could just turn it off completely, which she did.

Inconvenient things: No business center, but nice front desk person said I was welcome to print whatever I needed. The next morning upon relaying that to another person on duty, she said, “are you a hotel guest?” (?!) “What do you need to print?” When I said I needed to access my email to print, she appeared somewhat annoyed while positioning the screen in my direction. After I printed 13 pages, I thanked her exceedingly, and she continued to appear annoyed as she handed me my pages, of which the majority were crinkled and creased (one of which was my boarding pass, which caused a delay in boarding because it didn’t scan properly).

Nice things: bathroom is nicely upgraded; two robes and two luggage racks; good and free Internet access throughout; freshly baked cookies at turn down; manager seemed concerned about our concerns and adjusted our bill slightly; newly restored area across the (very busy) street with nice restaurants; hotel on National Register of Historic Places

Room Tip: Rooms on east end of building have direct river view (not over a roof and a/c unit)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Baker 1 night this past weekend. We were in town for a wedding and the only room available was the Penthouse Suite which was $495 per night.

When you arrive at the Hotel Baker you will immediately discover that they do not have valet parking nor is there parking at the hotel. The hotel is located on a very busy street so when we pulled into the unloading zone my husband couldn't get out of the drivers' side of our rental car because the zone isn't wide enough and the traffic just kept coming. We had to unload our luggage ourselves and then my husband had to drive 2-3 blocks away to park. For a hotel that calls itself "luxury" the parking situation is very un-luxury.

The Penthouse suite is on the 6th floor of a hotel in which the elevator only goes to the 5th floor so you take the elevator to 5 and walk up stairs to the room. If you have a lot of luggage you will need to ask the front desk to have someone help you...unlike other "luxury" hotels no one offered to help us. We had to specifically ask.

Our room was probably 800 square feet including the bathroom. It was, like a lot of older buildings, an oddly shaped room with alcoves and a low hallway into the bathroom. If you are taller that 6'2" you might hit your head on the ceiling on the way to the bathroom. The bathroom was very nice but not well ventilated so when I dryed and styled my hair I was perspiring like crazy by the time I was done. The bathroom does feature a gigantic jacuzzi tub which was great and they use Gilchrist & Soames bath products which were lovely.

The Penthouse Suite features a roof top jacuzzi tub which they make a big deal about on the website. There is a spiral staircase in the room (its kind of awkwardly placed so you have to squeeze past it to get to the right side of the bed) which goes up to a roof deck. The jacuzzi on the roof deck is a 2-person tub and its very nice. There is an enclosed porch which leads out to the patio with the tub that is a nice place to sit with a cocktail. The downside of going out to sit in the hot tub is that the patio and jacuzzi are literally the highest points on the hotel which means that everyone driving on the busy road in front of the hotel can see you in the hot tub...no privacy. Also, I guess because its located on the Fox River, there are flies all over the place. At sundown the bats come out and eat them which we saw firsthand from the hot tub. It was NOT a private and relaxing hot tub/patio environment although it was nice to sit outside in the hot water as long as you could ignore the traffic noise and lack of privacy.

The best part of the room was the bed which has fabulous linens, pillows, duvet and mattress. It was one of the nicest beds I have ever slept in and we had a great sleep there. Our room was very quiet and private. One strange thing was that the room doesn't have a normal sized couch, only a tiny loveseat so if you wanted to lie on the couch and watch TV you would find yourself a little cramped. But you can see the TV from the bed which is more comfortable anyway so that is OK.

Free Wi-Fi = excellent!

We got room service which was very speedy. But I didn't think the food was all that great.

We ordered the lobster pot stickers (average), 2 kobe beef mini-burgers (not very good), caesar salad (decent), fried shrimp basket with hushpuppies and fries (shrimp was excellent and the hushpuppies were good, fries were covered in some kind of terrible seasoning and were pretty much inedible), and the charcuterie platter. I didn't find the pates to be anything special, average in every way.

Overall I liked the hotel just fine but probably wouldn't stay there again. We were in town for 2 days on on day 2 we moved to the Herrington Inn and Spa in Geneva which cost $195 for a room and was far more luxurious so, given a choice, I would stay there rather than the Baker.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Baker. The hotel has a lot of personality and charm and it definitely brings you back to the era. Our room was nice and comfortable but for the money i felt the place could have been a little more polished!?...dated TV's,wood work,rooms..etc..
nothing major though.The one complaint i do have is that the walls in this place are thin!! At my head i had a man in the next room snoring all nite and at my feet there was a couple who would not go to sleep if you know what i mean?! Again these are minor issues....but maybe not for everyone.

Room Tip: Room 303 has a terrible view! unless you love looking at A/C units!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Peosta, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hotel Baker was exactly what it promised. It is a beautiful, historic hotel located in the heart of downtown St. Charles! The entryway is cozy, keeping in the theme of the older hotels and the desk appears to be the original hotel desk. Our room was a simple king room with a view of the Fox River. The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was delicious...eggs, toast, pastries, cereal, hot tea and/or coffee. Do not come to this hotel if you are expecting state of the art exercise equipment, a pool or any of the "modern" amentities. This hotel is beautiful and perfect without any of the unnecessary extras (although the cookie was a wonderful extra).
I also highly recomment the Rox resturaunt attached to the hotel. While it is priced a bit high, I felt the atmosphere, staff and food justified the price.
My only complaint would be the lack of hot water in the morning. I do realize this is an old building and therefore it was something I could easily overlook. The water was not ice cold - my husband was able to take a shower at his normal luke-warm temperature, however I found the temperature just a little too chilly to be able to enjoy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chandler, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This hotel was charming and the amenities were fabulous. I don't understand the negitive reviews. Very large rooms, clean, you get a delicious cookie. The room included two bath robes, very large closet area, bathroom had everything that you could possibly need including very soft, plush towels.
Loved the turtle ottoman and the view of the river was beautiful. Very quiet and relaxing stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!