“What a great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Saint Charles
Chandler, AZ
“What a great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This hotel was charming and the amenities were fabulous. I don't understand the negitive reviews. Very large rooms, clean, you get a delicious cookie. The room included two bath robes, very large closet area, bathroom had everything that you could possibly need including very soft, plush towels.
Loved the turtle ottoman and the view of the river was beautiful. Very quiet and relaxing stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Baker for a night, and rented three rooms for a retreat. Its a nice historic hotel, but a little pricey for the location and amenities. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and helped us check in early for one room and check out late to maximize our work time. They left delicious cookies in our rooms in the evening, a nice treat. The beds were comfortable but I couldn't quite get the temp right with the AC, so it was a little stuffy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Wayne, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We got the balcony spa suite which I expected to be nice and it was okay . The room smelled like mildew. The bedding was messed up. There were cigarettes all over the balcony. The staff acted like it was their first day on the job. No valet parking. No late room service or some BS. No coffee pot but a bunch of coffee. Really small bathroom. The best part was the hot tub. I can get that anywhere. To top it off they gave me a 30$ unauthorized charge from the restaurant come check out time. What? "Sorry we cant reverse the charge!!!" Who says that to someone who just stayed in a 300$ a night suite??? I was going to stay here for my wedding night but now they can forget that!!
Okay its historic, all the old stuff is cool, we had some ghostly experiences, but it is a 100$ a night hotel at best. I would save your money and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont do it!! Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We were planning a wedding for my daughter more than a year in advance. Hotel Baker did have the June 16th day available in the Waterfront Room. This seemed perfect since we are familiar with the Hotel, it did seem to meet our needs. Upon speaking with one of the wedding planners, I let her know that this was very satisfactory and asked that a hold be put on the room. She readily agreed and took the name of the bride and groom. We then set up a date to gather, view the room, and sign a contract.
Unfortunately, because we were taken over by the flu, bronchitis, and sinus infections with a fever we were unable to meet on that agreed upon date. However, not wishing to lose the room, I called early in the morning of that day and explained the situation and was put through to a Liz's line, who was in all day. No answer, I had to leave a descriptive voice mail and offered to give my credit card number to hold the room. My sick family and I must have called at 10 times that day, leaving as many voice mails, hoping for a call back. Nothing. This was a Saturday.
The planner does not work on Sunday or Monday.Still no call back.
Early Tuesday morning I, once again, called and actually got through to Liz.
Lo and Behold, the room was gone !!! How can this be when a hold was put on it?
Horrible communication and service.

• Stayed March 2011
Gilberts il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

The Baker Hotel takes you back to an earlier time when staying at an hotel was an experience. The staff is very attentive and went out of thier way to make sure everything top notch. The dining options both within the hotel and surrounding area are excellent. I got a chance to see the penthouse, it has two floors with a spiral staircase and a rooftop porch with a hot tub. Great time at the Hotel Baker, will definately stay there again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My husband knows I love boutique hotels. He drove past this one on a recent drive through St. Charles and was sure I would love this place! He got online when he got home and secretly booked their Valentine package which included the room, dinner for 2 at Rox City (their restaurant), champage and breakfast in the room the following morning. He can't keep a secret so he spilled the beans before the trip :) I was able to read about their history and saw photos on their website before we went...I wasn't bowled over but it looked nice enough and I was game - plus I would have never rained on my husband's parade :) since he was sweet enough to think of this.

We pulled up and I loved the old exterior of the building and when I first stepped inside the doors. That was about it.......There are some charming parts of the original hotel still intact like the elevator facades, the old mail drop and I assume the beautiful marble floors and some stained glass. Everything else that was done in the renovation (how many decades ago WAS that renovation???) was done as cheaply as possible and by the looks of it, by a weekend handyman. The walls are just slathered with what looks like bucket loads of joint compound and they and the cheap trim are all painted in a semi-gloss beige. It looks terrible. Then the rooms are a great big let-down. We reserved a riverview room on the 5th floor and it resembled a bedroom at my grandmother's house. Cheap lamps, a builder-grade brass overhead light, super cheap closet doors.....the bathroom didn't have a tub, just a full size shower with a plastic floor and shower curtain, a bad caulk job around a window and the mirror was a cheap plastic mold meant to look like a guilded mirror. Everythng about the room felt like a motel room from the 70's.

The restaurant gets mixed reviews. The food and service was very good, if not ridiculously overpriced. The atmosphere/decor, however, was absolutely nothing special whatsoever. I would have preferred the Irish Pub across the street for a more authentic dining experience. It was like trying to sell Ethan Allen at Target.

The location is good, service was adequate, but not special and the aesthetic quality of the place was poor. I have stayed in old Holiday Inn's that felt newer and nicer. If it is good location in St. Charles you are looking for and have no expectations, this is probably fine. If it is a special weekend, or the enjoyment of a nice boutique &/or historic hotel experience you are looking for, definitely pass on this one!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I booked the Baker for their New Year's Eve package for myself & my fiance. We were celebrating the New Year and his birthday on the 31st of December. The package included Dinner, Dancing, etc. I also invited another couple to join us in the celebration and was definitely embarrased and disappointed. The experience will definitely be one to remember. Details are as follows:
Friday
>excitedly checked in to room 510 jacuzzi room. Had been advised rooms were recently remodeled...1st dissapointment. Room was cleaner & larger at the Hampton where I put my kids.
>had reservations for dinner at 900pm. We were seating in the center of the room with servers walking by us with no acknowledgement until about 30minutes later as I was about to get up to see what the issue was. May have been more bearable had we been sat with a riverview, like requested in advance...Didnt get water until about 10minutes after that...When the server returned about 10pm to take our orders it then took another 20minutes for our soup & salads to come...another 45minutes before we got our meal. And by the time they brought our dessert it was after 11pm. By 1130pm we received the bill of approx 180.00 for the four of us...keep in mind my meal was already charged on my room...So we went back to our room for the last thirty minutes of the year to celebrate, which we could have done without spending over 400.00 for the night of disappointment.
To make matters even worse today on my bank statement they charged me for the package and the dinners...after saying they would comp the dinners since they knew the service was horrendous. So I have to contact them again to get it rectified.

As someone who books rooms for both personal and professional purposes I would never utilize the hotel in either way in the future. Like I mentioned in the title we could have stayed at the Hampton for a quarter of the price and had much better service. Very Disappointing

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!